Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Mid-Atlantic
Reload this Page >

Cycling In A Suburb of Lancaster, PA?

Search
Notices
Mid-Atlantic Pennsylvania | Maryland | DC | Delaware | West Virginia | Virginia

Cycling In A Suburb of Lancaster, PA?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-19, 08:49 AM
CyclingFever
I got a fever.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Great scenery just watch out for horse apples!

Looks like you gonna have a good weekend. But make sure to bring water. Gonna be hot!
Old 07-19-19, 12:36 PM
ChiroVette

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by CyclingFever
Great scenery just watch out for horse apples!

Looks like you gonna have a good weekend. But make sure to bring water. Gonna be hot!
Yeah thanks! To that end, I am going to keep all my rides in the daytime so I can see and avoid all those smelly piles. Also, I am going to be there from Sunday through Friday, so more than just a weekend. Looking forward to all the scenery and fresh food and produce!

So, if you looked at my courses, what are your thoughts? Am I hitting all/most of the scenery sweet-spots? Anything you think I am missing on any of those routes that I need to add another course for? Should I tweak the courses themselves? I can add three more courses, too, since I will be riding 6 days but only created 3 courses.

Last edited by ChiroVette; 07-19-19 at 12:39 PM.
Old 07-21-19, 09:37 AM
Pilot321

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR500

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Paul J
Shirk's is my shop, though I live in totally the opposite end of the county I've been going there for 30 years. It is funny seeing people from Philly, NJ and I guess NY State shopping. I did like his prices better before you all found him. :-)
I'm in northwestern Chester County about equidistant from Shirk's and The Twisted Cog in Phoenixville, which are probably two of the better bike shops in the area.
Old 07-29-19, 06:00 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by Pilot321
I'm in northwestern Chester County about equidistant from Shirk's and The Twisted Cog in Phoenixville, which are probably two of the better bike shops in the area.
Ed speced my Engin before he left Wissahickon Cyclery to open Twisted Cog. Great guy. I try to pop in when I am riding in the area.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-29-19, 10:07 AM
ChiroVette

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Unfortunately, my trip got cut really short, due to a sudden illness by one of my travel companions so I had to drive him home. So I was only there for one full day and one half day. I did manage to snag a ride before my uncle got sick, but unfortunately, it was the shorter ride, this one.

Had I known the trip would end so soon, I would have at least done the longest route. However, that said, I was absolutely in love with the scenery and picturesque beauty of the area. Even cycling through Lancaster proper was not bad at all. I know some in this forum warned me about it, but lol compared to the streets of Manhattan, and the rest of the boroughs, Lancaster was very mellow. Even the more urban parts I rode through were refreshingly mellow and almost even residential compared to what I am used to. I think some cautioned me about Lincoln Highway, State Rt. 30, but even that was perfectly fine, middle of the day, in a heatwave. A lot mellower than a lot of streets I cycle through a lot at home.

I really have to go back there when I know I will be able to spend the week or so I had planned. I could see that I really only scratched the very surface on road cycling there.

Last edited by ChiroVette; 07-29-19 at 10:10 AM.
Old 07-31-19, 11:23 AM
Paul J

Bikes: 1980's Spectrum 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, 1990 Eddy Merckx 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, Bushnell Tandem, Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 65 Posts
I was away in Colorado so totally missed this thread being revived. :-) Glad you enjoyed the riding and you rode in probably the worst area of Lancaster County! :-) Something I forgot to mention a couple of years ago, the Lancaster County Bike Club has their cue sheets on their website. This can help you utilize some of the wonderful route we ride throughout the year. https://routes.lancasterbikeclub.net/