Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Going to narrower handlebars

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Going to narrower handlebars

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-16, 09:41 PM
Kevindale

Bikes: 1980 Koga-Miyata Gentsluxe-S, 1998 Eddy Merckx Corsa 01, 1983 Tommasini Racing, 2012 Gulf Western CAAD10, 1980 Univega Gran Premio

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by dksix
I was riding 44CM bars but when measured I realized these were too wide. I only dropped to 42CM bars and could feel a difference. From 44's to 38's seems like a huge just but if you're just riding what came on the bike and have never been fitted I see no reason why the OEM's would be right for everyone. If you find a good deal on some 38's give them a try and report back.

Don't forget new bar tape.
Yes, definitely will need new tape. Right now I'm only seeing 40 cm bars among the Cannondale compact bars on eBay, so I'll probably go with that. I rode tonight and paid more attention to my arms with my elbows locked, and I never realized how noticeably my arms slanted outwards from shoulder to wrist. I'm really looking forward to this experiment.
Old 06-09-16, 10:00 PM
dksix

Bikes: Basso Luguna, Fuji Nevada

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4261 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kevindale
Yes, definitely will need new tape. Right now I'm only seeing 40 cm bars among the Cannondale compact bars on eBay, so I'll probably go with that. I rode tonight and paid more attention to my arms with my elbows locked, and I never realized how noticeably my arms slanted outwards from shoulder to wrist. I'm really looking forward to this experiment.
If you feel your measurement is accurate and you've confirmed it through more than 1 source you owe it to yourself to experiment, IMO.
Old 06-10-16, 02:04 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
When you ride in the hooks or the lower straight section of the drop portion of your bar be sure you have enough width that your knees don't hit your elbows.

Cheers
Old 06-10-16, 10:31 AM
Kevindale

Bikes: 1980 Koga-Miyata Gentsluxe-S, 1998 Eddy Merckx Corsa 01, 1983 Tommasini Racing, 2012 Gulf Western CAAD10, 1980 Univega Gran Premio

Originally Posted by Miele Man
When you ride in the hooks or the lower straight section of the drop portion of your bar be sure you have enough width that your knees don't hit your elbows.

Cheers
Good thought. I looked for that when I rode this morning, and I comfortably have a few cm on each side between my elbows and my knees.
Old 06-13-16, 10:21 AM
Kevindale

I went to two bike shops yesterday -- both places suggested 40 cm handlebars for my build. The 38 cm bars also felt comfortable, but 40 is what I'll go with. At the LBS I prefer, they suggested the Bontranger Race Aero Lite bar instead of just a straight Cannondale compact bar replacement, since I'm interested in going a little more aero. He also said everyone he's put on those bars has loved them. They're a little more expensive than the Cannondale replacements, but they're good looking bars and the flatten tops seemed comfortable. They're back ordered right now, so it'll probably be 2 weeks before I have them on the bike. I'm ordering some Lizard Skin tape, 2.5mm thickness, to give that a try also.
Old 06-16-16, 07:12 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Oh and how. I personally don't think that other poster was all that harsh actually. In any case I do not believe the issue was personal for them. I was reading through the posts waiting for an opportunity to say much the same thing they said. The cm/mm typographical semantics aside, going from 44cm to 38cm is ludicrous. I am 5'10" and have the classic 42"/34" kind of build. My wife is 5'6". She has the 38cm and I run 42cm on my roadie, but I use a 44cm on our tandem. I would use 46cm if I could find a matching bar in that size. Bigger doesn't hurt anything. Anyone who can use acromion in a sentence should have enough nuance to figure that there would be a point of diminishing returns to making bars too narrow. And... yes.. just as I thought... the o.p. is doing the measurements themselves. Classic. Please, o.p. get someone to measure you properly, do each measurement 3x and average the results and then we can talk intelligently. But, FWIW, I do not think there are enough handling differences between 44 and 38 on a single bike. I noticed a difference between the 64cm (that's correct) flat bars that our tandem had to the 44cm bars that I 'upgraded' to.

Why do you think that going from 44cm to 38cm is ludicrous, if you don't think that there is much handling difference?
Old 06-16-16, 07:17 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I went to two bike shops yesterday -- both places suggested 40 cm handlebars for my build. The 38 cm bars also felt comfortable, but 40 is what I'll go with. At the LBS I prefer, they suggested the Bontranger Race Aero Lite bar instead of just a straight Cannondale compact bar replacement, since I'm interested in going a little more aero. He also said everyone he's put on those bars has loved them. They're a little more expensive than the Cannondale replacements, but they're good looking bars and the flatten tops seemed comfortable. They're back ordered right now, so it'll probably be 2 weeks before I have them on the bike. I'm ordering some Lizard Skin tape, 2.5mm thickness, to give that a try also.

Previously ditched the 44cms, & about to go from 42cm to 40cm bars, also for aero reasons.

38cm bars were pretty standard BITD, so I don't see what all the fuss is about.
Old 06-17-16, 06:54 AM
Kevindale

Originally Posted by woodcraft
Previously ditched the 44cms, & about to go from 42cm to 40cm bars, also for aero reasons.

38cm bars were pretty standard BITD, so I don't see what all the fuss is about.
I think some people just need to be fussy. Your comment about bar width BITD reminded me that on the road bikes of my youth, which were all about the same frame size as what I have now, the bars were noticeably less wide.

On my ride yesterday I was noting how 'pulled in' the elbows are on a rider using aero bars. I've gotten over the idea that the narrower handlebar will degrade my breathing efficiency in some dramatic way. I experimented with riding on the tops of my current bar with my hands pulled towards the stem an extra few cm, and it's not a problem. The elbows naturally pivot out when you get your hands too close together, so breathing is fine. My new bar is in, still waiting on the new tape. I don't have a power meter, so my assessment will be seat-of-the pants, but I will definitely notice if I have an easier time doing my share of the pulling of our paceline at 20-22 mph.
Old 07-08-16, 10:27 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2518 Post(s)
Liked 3,002 Times in 1,706 Posts
On my ride yesterday I was noting how 'pulled in' the elbows are on a rider using aero bars. I've gotten over the idea that the narrower handlebar will degrade my breathing efficiency in some dramatic way. I experimented with riding on the tops of my current bar with my hands pulled towards the stem an extra few cm, and it's not a problem. The elbows naturally pivot out when you get your hands too close together, so breathing is fine. My new bar is in, still waiting on the new tape. I don't have a power meter, so my assessment will be seat-of-the pants, but I will definitely notice if I have an easier time doing my share of the pulling of our paceline at 20-22 mph.
Good observation about aero bars, and note that Euro pros ride aero bars with their elbows practically touching. And those pros often climb in the Alps grabbing their bars next to the stem. Maybe the myth about narrow bars restricting breathing will go away one of these days.