Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Endurance, Specialized Roubaix vs Trek Domane.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 07-25-17, 03:00 PM
Louzride

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix,Specialized Sirius Elite,Trek 1000, Diamondback Sorrento

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Any thoughts? Looking around.5'7" 52cm or 54cm?

Last edited by Louzride; 08-02-17 at 02:36 PM.
Old 07-26-17, 09:00 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 502 Posts
151 mile test ride on a 2017 Roubaix Expert resulted in a deposit on a 2018 Expert. Never got around to riding the Trek so no comparison.
Old 07-26-17, 07:01 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
I test rode a Domane for about 5 minutes. Bought a Domane within a month. Great bike I'm happy as a clam with it. Happier, cuz a clam aint got no legs, and couldn't ride a bike.
Old 07-27-17, 04:15 AM
deapee
Ride On!

Bikes: Allez DSW SL Sprint | Fuji Cross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Roubaix is a great bike. Domane is also...
I prefer the local Specialized dealer, so my choice would be very easy.
I don't think you'd regret either, honestly.
Old 07-27-17, 06:16 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
I test rode a Domane for about 5 minutes. Bought a Domane within a month. Great bike I'm happy as a clam with it. Happier, cuz a clam aint got no legs, and couldn't ride a bike.
2017/2018 ride characteristics are like no Roubaix before. TOTALLY DIFFERENT feel and comfort without sacrificing speed, agility, climbing. A new generation for Roubaix.
Old 07-27-17, 07:54 AM
Stick69

Bikes: Trek 7.2 FX, Co-Motion Supremo

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
One of our local bike stores rents Domane so my son rented one for the day and road about 25 miles. He liked it much better than my old FX 7.2 he had been riding. The longer ride gave him a good base from which to compare other bikes. You might try and rent an endurance bike even if it is not the model you want to buy so you get a good feel for what you like and don't like. For instance he felt the 42 handle bars on the 56 Domane were too narrow and he may not have noticed that on a short ride. He also test road a Specialized Secteur, the aluminum frame version of the Roubaix, and liked it as well. It was a 58 with 44 handle bars. He liked the bar width better but preferred the 56 frame. He was looking at closeout models so he didn't ride the new Roubaix with the shock handlebars. Both are very nice bikes if they fit you well. He found the damping systems to be very subtle and you may not see the benefit of the Domane seat tube flex until longer rides. If the idea of the Roubaix is "smooth is fast" I fail to see how the handle bar shock will damp the tire over the road in the same way the zertz were supposed to. But I guess every action has a reaction so if it is smoother on your arms maybe it is smoother over the road as well. If the bike fits the rider and the purpose I can't see how someone wouldn't enjoy either of those bikes.

In case you are curious how his search ended, he bought a 2016 new-old-stock store-brand bike because it fit him better, 44 bars on 56 frame, and he got partial 105 components in his budget. He is no expert but felt the carbon frame damped as well as the other two aluminum-frame bikes with flex/dampers he road.
Old 07-27-17, 08:23 AM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
I've been riding a Domane for a year and it's been great. I couldn't ask for a better bike. It's comfortable. The 105 components are flawless. Next week, I'm gonna take it to the LBS and get it's first annual tuneup. I hope to ride it for many more years.
Old 07-27-17, 08:31 AM
Symtex

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am sucker for jonesing over the Roubaix Elite or Expert Di2. Maybe one day. You cannot go wrong with any of the bikes listed. Pick the one you prefer and enjoy the heck out of it.
Old 07-27-17, 09:49 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
One of the main differences in these bikes is head tube length. The Specialized has a longer head tube which can put you in a more relaxed position if that is what you want. Otherwise both are fine bikes. I test rode the Specialized and I couldn't pick one bad thing about it, it rode that nice.
Old 07-27-17, 10:02 AM
KenR

Bikes: 2017 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, 2005 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 2016 Trek 7.4FX hybrid

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tested both last October. Obviously excellent bikes. I liked the ride of the Domane better. Didn't like the "future shock" system of the Roubaix all that much. Wound up buying a Giant Defy Advanced and am very happy with my decision. But I would have been very happy with the Domane too, I'm sure.
Old 07-27-17, 02:43 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
2017/2018 ride characteristics are like no Roubaix before. TOTALLY DIFFERENT feel and comfort without sacrificing speed, agility, climbing. A new generation for Roubaix.
Sounds like you drank the Kool-Aid and you liked it.

I have read some reviews that are very positive about the Roubaix. If I were the OP, I'd test ride both and see which one I liked.

The one downside I did read about the Roubaix (and this may have been about an earlier version) was that there was that rarely felt squishiness in the steering. I have a 2014 Domane (Series Six) and it has the CF fork and doesn't have the shock absorption in the head tube. So it's stiff. Now, I like this as it's very stable. I can feel completely comfortable with my 240 lard butt going 45 mph down a hill. Tracks like its on rails. But again, the Roubaix gets good marks and I've not ridden one .
Old 07-27-17, 07:28 PM
OldTryGuy

Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
Sounds like you drank the Kool-Aid and you liked it.

I have read some reviews that are very positive about the Roubaix. If I were the OP, I'd test ride both and see which one I liked.

The one downside I did read about the Roubaix (and this may have been about an earlier version) was that there was that rarely felt squishiness in the steering. I have a 2014 Domane (Series Six) and it has the CF fork and doesn't have the shock absorption in the head tube. So it's stiff. Now, I like this as it's very stable. I can feel completely comfortable with my 240 lard butt going 45 mph down a hill. Tracks like its on rails. But again, the Roubaix gets good marks and I've not ridden one .
Just comparing the Roubaix to my current Giant Propel Advanced SL in all ways and found it lacked nothing but added extra comfort. It will be my ride of choice come February next year for my 400 mile 24 hour RAAM Qualifying at Bike Sebring 12/24
Old 07-27-17, 08:20 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Just comparing the Roubaix to my current Giant Propel Advanced SL in all ways and found it lacked nothing but added extra comfort. It will be my ride of choice come February next year for my 400 mile 24 hour RAAM Qualifying at Bike Sebring 12/24
Sounds fun. As another old guy, I wish you good luck.
Old 07-30-17, 01:57 AM
a1penguin

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Stick69
One of our local bike stores rents Domane so my son rented one for the day and road about 25 miles. He liked it much better than my old FX 7.2 he had been riding. The longer ride gave him a good base from which to compare other bikes. You might try and rent an endurance bike even if it is not the model you want to buy so you get a good feel for what you like and don't like. For instance he felt the 42 handle bars on the 56 Domane were too narrow and he may not have noticed that on a short ride. He also test road a Specialized Secteur, the aluminum frame version of the Roubaix, and liked it as well. It was a 58 with 44 handle bars. He liked the bar width better but preferred the 56 frame. He was looking at closeout models so he didn't ride the new Roubaix with the shock handlebars. Both are very nice bikes if they fit you well. He found the damping systems to be very subtle and you may not see the benefit of the Domane seat tube flex until longer rides. If the idea of the Roubaix is "smooth is fast" I fail to see how the handle bar shock will damp the tire over the road in the same way the zertz were supposed to. But I guess every action has a reaction so if it is smoother on your arms maybe it is smoother over the road as well. If the bike fits the rider and the purpose I can't see how someone wouldn't enjoy either of those bikes. In case you are curious how his search ended, he bought a 2016 new-old-stock store-brand bike because it fit him better, 44 bars on 56 frame, and he got partial 105 components in his budget. He is no expert but felt the carbon frame damped as well as the other two aluminum-frame bikes with flex/dampers he road.
Comparing one road bike vs a hybrid is not the same as comparing say a Domane vs a Roubaix vs a Synapse. Most bike brands offer and endurance bike line from aluminum + sora to carbon fibre + dura ace/Di2. Determine your budget and then compare the offerings from different manufacturers to find what fits you best and you like. The bikes in the same price range are very similar. You might pay a bit more for the privilege of buying a Trek/Specialized/Cannondale vs one of the no-as-highly-advertised brands of Giant/Fuji/Felt/etc.
Old 08-02-17, 02:51 PM
Louzride

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix,Specialized Sirius Elite,Trek 1000, Diamondback Sorrento

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to all. Bought a Roubaix 52 cm.Really liked the Domane a lot, but the LBS wouldn't budge, so I feel like I got a lot for my money with the Roubaix. I wanted a carbon fiber frame having ridden aluminum frames for a long time. Got a really good price as bikes are being marked down to make room for the new models. Time will tell if it was worth it.BTW, yeah this bike smooooth!

Last edited by Louzride; 08-02-17 at 02:55 PM.
Old 08-02-17, 04:51 PM
sirkaos

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Expert, Surley Karate Monkey 29er hard tail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Louzride
Thanks to all. Bought a Roubaix 52 cm.Really liked the Domane a lot, but the LBS wouldn't budge, so I feel like I got a lot for my money with the Roubaix. I wanted a carbon fiber frame having ridden aluminum frames for a long time. Got a really good price as bikes are being marked down to make room for the new models. Time will tell if it was worth it.BTW, yeah this bike smooooth!
Pictures or it didn't happen.....