Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Looking to buy endurance bike - club members pushing me away from Roubaix

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-19, 10:40 PM
LargoPQ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

first post here...Im looking to get a new bike as my Focus Izalco is a bit too aggressive for me with my minor back problems.

i test rode both the Specialized Roubaix and Canyon Endurace (I live close to Canyon HQ in Carlsbad, CA). Loved them both. Great climbing and speed. I posted my test rides on Strava (Roubaix in hills, Endurace in flats). Both had solid numbers.

Anyway, a couple of my club members were knocking the Roubaix, but didn’t have much content beyond “it’s not stuff enough” and “you’ll be disappointed”. Also “it’s a second rate bike”. Not much else content. But these are longtime cycling guys who know their stuff. Didn’t have much time to get more details from them.

both bikes felt great, and with Specialized having a really good sale on the model I like (Roubaix Comp Di2, for $3450), and also seeing good deals on an Outlet Canyon in my size, I’m hesitating pulling the trigger.

question for the group. Anyone have a mid range Roubaix or Endurace and have trouble keeping up with a club B group, with occasional A group rides? I’m guessing the answer is no, but was hoping to validate my theory.

thanks in advance!
Old 03-17-19, 02:30 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by LargoPQ
Anyway, a couple of my club members were knocking the Roubaix, but didn’t have much content beyond “it’s not stuff enough”
Not stiff enough for what? If it pedals and handles well for you, that's what matters.

Are they specifically concerned about the Future Shock? By and large, if a suspension spring is bobbing in a way that interferes significantly with a rider's power delivery, the rider will notice and be annoyed by it.

But these are longtime cycling guys who know their stuff.
How do you know that they know their stuff?
Old 03-17-19, 05:13 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
first post here...Im looking to get a new bike as my Focus Izalco is a bit too aggressive for me with my minor back problems.

i test rode both the Specialized Roubaix and Canyon Endurace (I live close to Canyon HQ in Carlsbad, CA). Loved them both. Great climbing and speed. I posted my test rides on Strava (Roubaix in hills, Endurace in flats). Both had solid numbers.

Anyway, a couple of my club members were knocking the Roubaix, but didn’t have much content beyond “it’s not stuff enough” and “you’ll be disappointed”. Also “it’s a second rate bike”. Not much else content. But these are longtime cycling guys who know their stuff. Didn’t have much time to get more details from them.

both bikes felt great, and with Specialized having a really good sale on the model I like (Roubaix Comp Di2, for $3450), and also seeing good deals on an Outlet Canyon in my size, I’m hesitating pulling the trigger.

question for the group. Anyone have a mid range Roubaix or Endurace and have trouble keeping up with a club B group, with occasional A group rides? I’m guessing the answer is no, but was hoping to validate my theory.

thanks in advance!
And all this time I thought it was ability and conditioning that determined what group you rode in...
Seriously though, I wouldn’t put too much stock in any advice that cannot be backed up with specifics. As already referenced though, I would read up on the Future Shock system very thoroughly if I was considering a Spec

Last edited by downhillmaster; 03-17-19 at 05:19 AM.
Old 03-17-19, 05:41 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Look at the Trek Domane.
Old 03-17-19, 05:49 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,644 Times in 826 Posts
If you rode the bike, it felt great, and it performed great, nobody in the club can tell you it it's not a great bike for you. Comfort can translate to speed. If you can't keep up with the group, it won't be because of the bike. The B group in the club I used to ride with had some unlikely bikes in it.
Old 03-17-19, 09:52 AM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
I ride an old '07 Roubaix, and it's my go to bike for lots of rides, centuries, even club rides where I just want a comfortable bike for recovery rides. The new Roubaix are light years ahead of mine. As for the new Roubaix, several club members have the new ones, Di2, hydro disc, new compliant suspension tweaks, and love them. How much more stuff do you need? As for Domane, our ride leader just moved from a couple year old Domane to a new Roubaix, and he loves his.

My old Roubaix near the top of Gibraltar Road climb

Last edited by Slightspeed; 03-17-19 at 09:56 AM.
Old 03-17-19, 10:17 AM
luevelvet

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Jari 1.5, 2019 Trek Domane SL5

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by oldnslow2
Look at the Trek Domane.
I second this recommendation. While there isn't much wrong with the Roubaix, the Domane was more comfortable for me and was what I wound up going with. I couldn't imagine giving it up for anything! Fast and comfortable.
Old 03-17-19, 10:29 AM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
Are your club members paying for your bike? No?? Then they don't get a say. Buy what you love.
Old 03-17-19, 10:46 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
As noted here, without providing concrete examples of what elements are being considered, people usually just refer you to the bike "they" own. Selection bias.
Old 03-17-19, 11:51 AM
Ludkeh
alpine cross trainer

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Quintara Roo Sendoza, DaVici In-2-Ition Tandem,

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 8 Posts
I also have a older Specialized Roubaix with a triple crank. The most comfortable bike I've ever owned and is my go to bike. At my age 70, the road can really beat you up if the frame is to stiff. The Roubaix is incredible when it comes to absorbing what the road will throw at you!

PS: I've had many bikes and now am down to a handfull. A tri bike which is incredibly stiff and punishing, the Roubaix , a electric gravel bike( my newest), a folding bike for camping , and two tandems. the Roubaix is still my favorite!
Old 03-17-19, 11:52 AM
luevelvet

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Jari 1.5, 2019 Trek Domane SL5

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
As noted here, without providing concrete examples of what elements are being considered, people usually just refer you to the bike "they" own. Selection bias.
We cant argue that!
Old 03-17-19, 12:26 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by Slightspeed
I ride an old '07 Roubaix, and it's my go to bike for lots of rides, centuries, even club rides where I just want a comfortable bike for recovery rides. The new Roubaix are light years ahead of mine. As for the new Roubaix, several club members have the new ones, Di2, hydro disc, new compliant suspension tweaks, and love them. How much more stuff do you need? As for Domane, our ride leader just moved from a couple year old Domane to a new Roubaix, and he loves his.

My old Roubaix near the top of Gibraltar Road climb
Say, isn't that the same road where Jim Rockford, Barnaby Jones, Cannon, Mannix, The Six Million Dollar Man, and The Bionic Woman had their brake lines cut by the bad guys and had to drive down it at high speeds, tires squealing around corners with no brakes, and almost got killed?
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 03-17-19, 12:48 PM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 846 Times in 410 Posts
'05 S-works Roubaix. This bike was good enough for TDF, I'm sure any shortfalls in my experiences are not from this bike.
And, yes, the Campy Record triple FR provides a gear for every situation.
Not my only bike, but a go-to for both the long ones and the steep ones..
Old 03-17-19, 12:49 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Say, isn't that the same road where Jim Rockford, Barnaby Jones, Cannon, Mannix, The Six Million Dollar Man, and The Bionic Woman had their brake lines cut by the bad guys and had to drive down it at high speeds, tires squealing around corners with no brakes, and almost got killed?
Quality post.

Any many more I'm sure.
Old 03-17-19, 01:04 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Not Roubaix, They want you to stay in Belgium ?
Old 03-17-19, 01:31 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Could be. There isn't hardly a mile of road down here that hasn't been used for filming something. It seems like 90% of car commercials use PCH driving by Magu Rock, too.
Old 03-17-19, 01:42 PM
laxpatrick

Bikes: Canyon, Gunnar, Speshes mtb and phat

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Had a 2010 Roubaix. Loved it. Got an eTap Endurace. Don't miss the Roubaix, wasn't super switched on about the whole front headset shock things...
Old 03-17-19, 02:04 PM
matt92037

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
If you can get a Di2 Roubaix for $3,450 that is a smoking deal. Out of curiosity what bike do the fellas who are dissing the Specialized ride?

$3,450 and work towards getting a better wheel set down the road you will have a sweet ride.

thanks in advance!
Old 03-17-19, 03:30 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
A very strong and experienced rider in our club rides a 2018 Roubaix with future shock and loves it. I rented one in Boise last fall and enjoyed it. I could feel the future shock doing it’s thing on bumps but did not feel it detracted from putting power into the wheels. At age 61 I’m a big fan of not beating up the rider.

FYI I’m also in SoCal, Orange County. I can’t imagine why a Roubaix would not be suitable for club rides in your area. I ride an older 2008 Roubaix Comp myself and am very happy with it. The endurance geometry suits me. And $3,450 does sound like a very good price for a Di2 bike. Good luck.
Old 03-17-19, 03:38 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Thread makes no sense. How could a current Roubaix Comp w/ Di2 not allow a cyclist to 'keep up' on 'B/A' group rides?

What, precisely, are the deficiencies in any decent current road bike that would do so? Where would they come from?

An aluminum-framed, properly fitted and tuned/maintained bike w/Claris or Sora and unseized bearings wouldn't make a gnat's p__s worth of difference in such a context relative to the most expensive 'superbike'.

Silly.
Old 03-17-19, 05:16 PM
LargoPQ

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great stuff. Thanks everyone for the great examples. Good stuff to hear.
Old 03-17-19, 05:26 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7650 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Buy the bike you want. Ride it.

Bike snobs who think their bikes are what keeps them in the "A/B" group are looking to justify spending $5K when they could have bought a $1800 Fuji and done the same speeds. When I was quick enough to ride with a group, I saw people riding old Fujis, new Cervelo S3s, old and new Cannondale, Domanes, Emondas, some sort of Bianchis, Felts .... and one guy on a steel Surly (mostly flat rides, to be honest.) The bike carries the rider, the rider brings the speed. Put a fast rider on a bike, it is a fast bike. Put me on a bike, I don't care if it is a $12,000, 12-pound handmade carbon-fiber superbike, suddenly it is a lawn ornament.

Buy what you like.
Old 03-18-19, 09:23 AM
rebel1916

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
The only thing fredlier than bike club B riders, is bike forums members. The Roubaix is fine.
Old 03-18-19, 05:21 PM
sjh953

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I can't speak about group rides, but I'll comment based upon the 2018 Roubaix Sport I bought last November. It's a lower-end bike than you're looking at, but I mainly chose this model because I wanted Future Shock.I'd been riding a 2010 Secteur since Jan, 2011, put about 25,000 miles on it, but was tired of the beating I was taking on rough country roads up here in Central California. The Roubaix has proven to be a good choice. Routes I've ridden for years and know well, and know how the roads 'feel', are now riding much smoother with a lot less jarring and sharp jolts. Highly recommended.
Old 03-18-19, 07:04 PM
Baldy1953

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 18 Posts
I have a roubaix Elite of the 2018 version. I moved up from a Jamis comp. World of difference in the ride. The future shock (in my opinion) is a non event. Yes you can feel it working on the bumps and an occasional movement when standing. I like the small movement for the bumps. It is much more comfortable when riding on rougher roads/paths. It came equipped with 105 from Shimano and has worked flawlessly. I run 28 mm tires on it for even more comfort. I would not hesitate to buy it again. For 2800 bucks, it was a pretty good investment of my recreational money, but really worth it. Have a shade over 5000 miles on it in a year since I bought it and if not for health problems would have more.
In my opinion, you won't go wrong . I have not had any trouble keeping up with any riders that are of similar ability. My old (65 years) engine is the problem, not the bike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.