Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

My new whip (lugged steel content)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

My new whip (lugged steel content)

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-19, 08:26 AM
carlos danger

Bikes: steel is real. and so is Ti...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
I know most of you guys will not like it since you are road purists. But i build bikes for me. and only me. and this is kinda the results of that. I ride them as commuters.

Breakdown of the build:

De rosa nuovo classico 2016 (or so?), frame with fork.

wheels: shimano rs010 120€, cracked open and re-tensioned by me. very good. 1880g
pedals: straitlines, their best ones (imo).
crankset: shimano 105, 5 bolt, 130mm since i only do 5 bolt 130.
saddle: some cheap 40€ manganese steel rail selle italia slr with cutout. i usually do the ti rail ones but now its an economy build so it is what it is.
brakes: sram apex, these are the same cable pull as the cane creek tt levers (unlike almost all recent shimano calipers). and cheap/lightish, yeah sure i could have saved 40g or so with sram reds but these were 50€ for a set.
stem: needed a 40mm one. truvative/sram hussefelt dh stem it was. 25€ or so. very rigid/stiff.
handlebars: deda TT bars 44cm out-out
brake levers: cane creek TT levers alu. 30€. best ergo TT lever out there.
shifters: xtr 9sp with custom mounts in bearing bronze. then intermediate mount in alu to mount to the actual shifter.
this took me about 6-7h to file/drill out and 3 prototypes to get right.
cables/housings: shifter and front brake gold jagwire husing. rear brake silver jagwire. their best ones. I buy these on 10m rolls so i dont know the actual models. they are good. its the best cable stuff period.
tires: gp4k 25mm
cassette: cobbled one together from some leftover 9sp cogs. 11-32, front ring 44t alu. this will approximate a 42 with 30t out back (that i usually run) pretty well with higher top speed. 1x obviously. middle ring pos on a 3 ring crank.
headset: campagnolo 1 inch threaded, quite crappy quality imo, could/should have just gotten ritchey for 7€ instead imo.
extras: quill 22,2mm to 25,4mm "quill to ahead adapter", deda elementi. 25,4mm to 1-1/8inch shim (to be able to run modern stems).

allinall the build came out to 23-2400€ in total. i bought almost everything from crc and the frame/fork from an official retailer in italy. this in nos. a 2018/19 one is 3k€, mine is 2016-18 model or so.

I have not been able to find out what tubes it uses. it says "black label" only. but before i bought it i read every review and test about it. and it might be Dedacciai zero uno, which is cold drawn and then stress relieved 4130 at 800-1100MPa, and the rear end could possibly be zero uno 4130 annealed (as weak as possible for manipulating) and cold formed then stress relieved 4130 at maybe 5-600 or so MPa. But i'm not at all sure.

If you look at de rosas site right now you can clearly see a reynolds sticker on the nuovo classico frames. but nowhere does it say what tubes they use. i guess it varies with time.

I guess they would have flaunted it if it was built with for example columbus SL niobium tubes. But i only see "black label".

Personally I think its some cold formed then stress relieved (aka butted only) 4130 slightly "worse" than reynolds 725, just like the zero uno and the weight (1830g) indicates that its not really anything exotic either. imo, that is.

The dedacciai zero tubing is aisi4130 but hardened to the max pretty much. 11-1300MPa, thats mega-pascals for you. newtons per square millimeter and so on, and this is how you measure metal strength. unhardened 4130 is about 4-500mpa or so. hardened can go up to 1300 (obviously). But usually you revert to stronger alloys instead of hardening harder, like the micro alloyed non cro-mo reynolds 853/true temper ox platinum which is actually, most likely this: 15CDV6 aka AIR9160C, 1.7734.5, 1.7734.6. Aerospace Raw Material Supplier | Alloys | Aerocom Metals (its on the bottom).

yet i can find no problems with the frame. even with only cold worked 4130. go figure. But in reality this have been the backbone of the bike industry for almost 100 years. and it will work for me too. its actually slightly more impact resistant than all hardened tubes and all stronger tubes, its a zero sum game you see...

--------------

the bike rides like a F-ing dream! no shizzle! i spent the last days on shakedown and fine tuning it and getting it to 100%, according to me that is. and now its pretty much done. most work was actually spent on the shifter mount. the rest is mostly bolt ones, you just have to grease the bolts up good.

Does the de rosa ride better than the colnago? Not really. I think they ride equally good. I have about 6h on the de rosa only. position is about 95% the same. but i think the the colnago actually rides slightly better. but it was also twice as expensive. the actual difference is very very small if any.
to be honest i would be perfectly happy with either one. both are really nice and responsive rides. Fast and smooth/comfortable. Accellerates like a ferrari.

Now i only need a cinelli frame, that i cant really detect a difference with a red one. ferrari red. because red is faster... then the circle is complete.

i haven't really measured it but i suspect (just by looking at it) the de rosa has a slacker HTA. but they kinda feel the same any way. HTA is not everything. Trail is though. And i guess they are about the same trail so therefore they feel the same in the end.

Very nice frame allinall and I dont regret buying it. Not at all. De rosa is one of the most legendary brands in the history of humanity AND THIS FRAME IS ACTUALLY WHAT MADE THEM LEGENDARY. So no regrets there really-

this is a budget build and it weighs 9,4kg. goes just as fast as the lighter colnago though. though. even with heavier cheap wheels.

it looks like this:

Old 06-15-19, 01:28 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
You certainly have a creative side.
Old 06-15-19, 01:48 PM
carlos danger

you gotta be creative to run mtb shifters on a road bike or tt-bared bike. i can tell you that.
Old 06-15-19, 01:57 PM
carlos danger

it is very rewarding though. otherwise i simply wouldn't do it. trust me.

its a night and day (to say the least) difference between this and all road levers in lever feel and crispness, and sound, and lever throw, and actual function. and imo none of the shimano road levers i have ever tried ever lived up to the lowest acceptable quality. so mtb levers it is. i stocked up on 9sp when 10 was launched. no regrets there. cassettes are 15€ (and 8sp ones are like 12€, i have 20 of them, bought when they were cheap). you have to forge when the steel is hot! thats how it works.
Old 06-15-19, 02:11 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Any reason for not taping the bars?
Old 06-15-19, 02:36 PM
carlos danger

not really no. this is basically straight outta testing phase. but i have to confess i dont really run tape on any bars since i always have leather gloves on my hands. it hurts much less when crashing with leather gloves. a goats skin is much more durable than my own somehow. who would have guessed. I'm probably not gonna put any kind of tape on these bars. and i get gloves for free at my job. really nice ones. they last for about 1 month.
Old 06-15-19, 03:52 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Old 06-15-19, 04:14 PM
carlos danger

noodle soup.

is this your way of saying you're a road purist? just tell me. jesus will forgive you. probably all day long. jesus told me personally he forgives all the purists. and also that they will fly on pegasus wings to heaven. i swear its the truth.
Old 06-15-19, 04:17 PM
carlos danger

and trust me pegasus is a b1tching ride. goes kinda close to the sun but other than that is business class all the way.
Old 06-15-19, 04:19 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by carlos danger
noodle soup.

is this your way of saying you're a road purist? just tell me. jesus will forgive you. probably all day long. jesus told me personally he forgives all the purists. and also that they will fly on pegasus wings to heaven. i swear its the truth.
Jesus is my landscaper, but why are you bringing that up?

You took a beautiful frameset, and turned it into Frankenbike. That makes my stomach turn.
Old 06-15-19, 04:37 PM
carlos danger

Originally Posted by noodle soup
Jesus is my landscaper, but why are you bringing that up?

You took a beautiful frameset, and turned it into Frankenbike. That makes my stomach turn.
All the leaves are brown
And the sky is gray
I've been for a walk
On a winter's day
I'd be safe and warm
If I was in L.A.
California dreaming
On such a winter's day

Stopped into a church
I passed along the way.
Well I got down on my knees
And i pretend to pray
You know the preacher liked the cold
He knows i'm gonna stay.

California dreaming.
On such a winter's day.

flute.

a lot of flute.

more flute.

Last edited by carlos danger; 06-15-19 at 04:41 PM.
Old 06-15-19, 04:55 PM
carlos danger

just f-ing with you man.

I fully understand almost no one will like my builds. and i'm ok with that. wasn't really expecting anything else actually.
I build these for me, and this is the results. i have tried everything comon and its simply not for me. so i build these instead.
these are for me. juuuust like i want them. on the f-ing millimeter. no s-it. yeah get it now?? comfort and ergonomics. its the new aero. you heard it first here.
Old 06-15-19, 06:53 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by carlos danger
and trust me pegasus is a b1tching ride. goes kinda close to the sun but other than that is business class all the way.
I spit my drink out that's funny af! This is an amazing thread.

I get the xtr shifter but have you thought about mounting it on the left to cleanup the cable routing?

How about a single down tube shifter?

Cleanup the cable routing and it would look ok.

I think you would have been able to outfit that frame better for €1,000
Old 06-15-19, 07:02 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 471 Posts
Oh my God did you hack off the top tube cable guides and wrap them in vinyl electrical tape!?