Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Original Primer 70s/80s Colnagos in repaint?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 07-18-19, 09:38 AM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts

I am stripping my 2nd Colnago frame. It had to be done, the paint is ancient, in fair shape, but I am tired of looking at a grail colnago painted semi- "Celeste" green.

But here's the thing. I stripped a Colnago "Mexico" a few years ago, only to find the primer under the chromo-velato layer was an ivory colored nightmare. Stripping it took forever. I'm a stubborn SOB. Getting the last of it out of lugs and the bb area almost made me list the frame "unpainted, partly cleaned". So surprise here's that darned ivory primer again. This time I'm not trying to remove it. It sticks to the steel like it's anodised. Has anyone come across this primer. True ivory color. The minute I saw it, I knew it was the same stuff I encountered 4 years ago.

I have redone a number of frames, including the old imron down to steel. This is the first time I am not going down to bare steel. After cleaning and prepping the frame to a surface I am satisfied with, I will hit it with a light coat of anti-rust primer and then color decals and 2k clear coat. Anyone have experience with this approach, and getting GOOD results? This ain't no beater.
Colors are way off. Notice I can even separate paint from primer with razor after soaking with \"Goof Off", even though this was a remarkably tough paint job.
Old 07-18-19, 12:51 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 396 Posts
I have seen the same white primer on a 1991 I bought, Frans Maassen's Wordperfect Team Master. I expected patina from a racing season but the odd thing is the scrapes are all only down to the white primer, everywhere. Having 2 other team bikes, Pinarello's, this was a surprise. Not wanting to repaint but not liking the white against the original dark blue paint.
Old 07-18-19, 01:04 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
Here are some links to my old Colnago on RoadBikeReview.

https://forums.roadbikereview.com/co...ml#post4638268

For some reason the photos aren't showing up without going to them. ???

I bought the bike in 1982, but trying to date it, I think it was probably from 1968/1969.

I'm pretty sure it has "Factory Paint" on it, but the logos are more consistant with an early 70's Colnago than a late 60's Colnago.

I vaguely remember a mention of a repaint when I bought it, but that has been a half a lifetime ago, so I can't say for sure.

You can see 3 distinct layers of paint where it has been rubbed on the top tube from standing hill climbs.

Blue top coat
White Middle coat
Burgandy lower coat.

It is unclear if this was due to painting over the white, or if the white was applied as a base coat for contrast.

The bike has gone through more evolution since those photos were taken.
Old 07-18-19, 06:49 PM
Last ride 76 

Originally Posted by easyupbug
I have seen the same white primer on a 1991 I bought, Frans Maassen's Wordperfect Team Master. I expected patina from a racing season but the odd thing is the scrapes are all only down to the white primer, everywhere. Having 2 other team bikes, Pinarello's, this was a surprise. Not wanting to repaint but not liking the white against the original dark blue paint.
yep, that's the stuff! So I figure, rather than make myself miserable trying to get rid of it, I'll degrease, sand, and prep-wipe as if it's a first primer coat, do another coat of primer for rust protection, and color coat adhesion. Usually, when my paint chips, it's down to the steel. I have hopes... Also I think it will keep the lugs from looking like the frame was dipped. Now to choose a color from the 72-3 palette.

Btw, if you can do a color match (or find someone who can) for the dark blue, usually not too hard to touch up (with practice almost to the point of invisibility). It's having to do primer, then color, that makes it harder.
Old 07-18-19, 07:47 PM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 941 Posts
I have a Basso that had what you described, I hot sanded it with a fairly coarse sandpaper and paint stripper. That was enough to get the stripper going, stripper by itself was not effective enough.
Old 07-19-19, 11:41 AM
Last ride 76 

When I'm in doubt, I pause, eventually I sometimes repaint.

Not that I'm a strict originalist or anything, and certainly not a Colnago nut, but the old man himself may have put a torch to that bike. Even without, (maybe even likely given his phenomenal marketing work), apparently that's a first year Super. I guess that oiled rust is a form of protective coating, but don't let it get any deeper, there probably aren't too many of them left in the world. Not that the world needs any more of them than it needs another cute kitten photo, but even so. I do agree with your linked posts, pretty is good but riding is better. I like bikes with stories attached too, though.
Cheers, Eric