Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Knee issues... Will a fit help?

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Knee issues... Will a fit help?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-15, 02:51 PM
Unglued

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seems my join pain may be related to the tracking of my patella during pedalling. Seems like my symptoms fit the description of it tracking poorly and inflaming the entire joint.

Anyone have experience with patellar tendon straps? Do they work?
Old 08-13-15, 03:44 PM
sam_cyclist
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Unglued
Seems my join pain may be related to the tracking of my patella during pedalling. Seems like my symptoms fit the description of it tracking poorly and inflaming the entire joint.

You're doing yourself a disservice trying to get this fit handled on your own, piecemeal.

I'll give you an example. I experimented with bicycle fit on my mtn bike (converted to hybrid) for years and years. I never could get it quite right.

I recently got a fit earlier this year. Several hours, computer analysis, measurement and re-measurement of all angles. The result: ZERO KNEE PAIN.

As a result, I transferred those measurements as exactly as I could to the mtn bike. Result: ZERO KNEE PAIN.

Dude, bite the bullet and get a fit. Save, beg or borrow. The results will be well worth it and potentially save you years, if not decades, of guesswork.
Old 08-14-15, 04:02 PM
Unglued

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I inquired with an LBS with a very good reputation for fits.

The fitter doesn't do any motion capture, but is supposed to be very thorough. Should I be expecting motion capture for $200? There are other fitters in the area that offer motion capture at that price point but don't come as highly recommended.
Old 08-14-15, 10:46 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts

Pain on the inside or outside or center? Cyclists usually have patellar issues because of a weak or incorrectly firing VMO. Here's what I know about that:
https://www.bikeforums.net/training-n...l#post16081392

AFAIK there's nothing newer out there than what is discussed in that post. I've used the described knee extension exercise on others with surprisingly quick results.

Most pain that people try to fix with a fit is the result of simple physical problems. I can ride pretty much anything I can reach the pedals on pain-free. That's not unusual and is simply the result of appropriate training.
Old 08-15-15, 08:49 AM
Unglued

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Pain on the inside or outside or center? Cyclists usually have patellar issues because of a weak or incorrectly firing VMO. Here's what I know about that:
https://www.bikeforums.net/training-n...l#post16081392

AFAIK there's nothing newer out there than what is discussed in that post. I've used the described knee extension exercise on others with surprisingly quick results.

Most pain that people try to fix with a fit is the result of simple physical problems. I can ride pretty much anything I can reach the pedals on pain-free. That's not unusual and is simply the result of appropriate training.
The joint itself feels very achy almost a burning feeling, so I'm going to say the pain is center, behind the knee cap but higher towards the femur. I've had tendonitis in joints before and this is more of an inflammation type of "ache" than it is a sharper pain associated with tendonitis.
Old 08-15-15, 09:39 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
The joint itself feels very achy almost a burning feeling, so I'm going to say the pain is center, behind the knee cap but higher towards the femur. I've had tendonitis in joints before and this is more of an inflammation type of "ache" than it is a sharper pain associated with tendonitis.
The usual prescription for that sort of pain is to take a couple days off. Then raise the saddle above the "heel-on-pedal" point, maybe 1/4" higher than that. Then try 1/2 hour of pedaling very easily on the flat or better, on a set of rollers. That's an effort well below sweating. No more than 1/2 hour, no hills. Do that almost every day until the pain is gone, which might be 2 weeks. Personally, I'd take ibuprofen for a week maybe 1800 mg in 3 doses 6 hours apart, not for pain per se but to reduce inflammation. Whatever it is that's rubbing, gotta stop that. BTW personal therapy and recovery is reason enough to get a set of rollers. Invaluable IME.
Old 08-15-15, 10:08 AM
sam_cyclist
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Again, you are doing yourself a disservice by seeking medical advice here. Do yourself a favor and seek out a diagnosis from a doctor. This typically includes x rays and/or an MRI. You will get a definitive diagnosis. Please do not rely on the "expertise" of an internet forum.

Honestly, I am concerned that you are so reliant on the internet to solve your pain issues. It's not the way to go.
Old 08-15-15, 10:09 AM
sam_cyclist
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I inquired with an LBS with a very good reputation for fits.

The fitter doesn't do any motion capture, but is supposed to be very thorough. Should I be expecting motion capture for $200? There are other fitters in the area that offer motion capture at that price point but don't come as highly recommended.
Your expectation should be to be comfortable on the bike, enjoying your ride, pain free once you are properly fitted.

I'm surprised that you haven't gone back to the bike shop where you bought your bike and told them about your pain issues with fit. That is a logical starting point. They can recommend a fitter or do a more thorough fitting themselves perhaps at a discount.

We don't know what city you are in, so we can't help you choose a fitter.

It's really up to you to make a decision at this point. Right now, you are over-analyzing.

Last edited by sam_cyclist; 08-15-15 at 10:13 AM.
Old 08-15-15, 12:59 PM
Unglued

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sam_cyclist
Your expectation should be to be comfortable on the bike, enjoying your ride, pain free once you are properly fitted.

I'm surprised that you haven't gone back to the bike shop where you bought your bike and told them about your pain issues with fit. That is a logical starting point. They can recommend a fitter or do a more thorough fitting themselves perhaps at a discount.

We don't know what city you are in, so we can't help you choose a fitter.

It's really up to you to make a decision at this point. Right now, you are over-analyzing.
Shop I bought from doesn't have a dedicated fitter (small shop). They told me they'd be willing to make any adjustments I want for free but wouldn't consider it to be anything like a "pro" fit.
Old 08-15-15, 04:53 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
sports orthopedics is a medical specialty.. there may be the real professionals .
Old 08-16-15, 02:43 PM
Unglued

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
sports orthopedics is a medical specialty.. there may be the real professionals .
Fitting scheduled next week. Fitter says they'll do whatever they can to get me comfortably riding. Ortho is my next step if fitting can't help.

My guess is that less than ideal fit + new cyclist + big hills = knee discomfort. Let's hope. I very much enjoy cycling and would like to continue.

Until then... no bike, just Ice and advil.
Old 08-16-15, 11:41 PM
sam_cyclist
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fitting scheduled next week. Fitter says they'll do whatever they can to get me comfortably riding. Ortho is my next step if fitting can't help.

My guess is that less than ideal fit + new cyclist + big hills = knee discomfort. Let's hope. I very much enjoy cycling and would like to continue.

Until then... no bike, just Ice and advil.
It sounds like you are taking all of the right steps.

Do you have flat courses you can ride on when you return?
Old 08-17-15, 04:30 PM
Unglued

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sam_cyclist
It sounds like you are taking all of the right steps.

Do you have flat courses you can ride on when you return?
Nothing completely flat in my neighborhood. Will have to search for something nearby that may be suitable. Still debating the 11-32 cassette to try and save my knees over steeper grades.
Old 08-24-15, 08:14 AM
Doc V

Bikes: Novara Trenta Road, Trek ZX6000 MTB

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Carbonfiberboy is probably right, because that is a common problem of cyclists when taking on new hills or hills for the first time. The first year I started riding my knee pain came from a tight IT band (which foam rolling greatly improved) and weak VMOs. The patellar pain (from patellofemoral pain syndrome since there was no cartilage damage) was diagnosed by an ortho doc. His recommendation was to decrease riding and mix in other endurance exercise. I did not like this answer so I sought out ways to fix the problem. The pain was fixed by:

1) taking a week off the hills with rest, foam rolling and ibuprofen
2) taping the knee with kinesio tape to encourage the knee to track correctly until I could strengthen my VMO. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqaP...ature=youtu.be for taping technique. There are 2 techniques in the video, the second technique starting at 3:30 worked best for me.
3) strengthening my VMO using this technique (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5BDi8Oj5eM) and doing lunges

Now I have no pain and I do not need to use kinesio tape. The bike fitting is a good idea, but if the pain persists after the ortho analysis and fitting, then it is probably a weak muscle issue.
Old 09-01-15, 02:43 PM
Unglued

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zerokreap
Personally, I would never pay anyone for a fit. Not to demean anyone's work, but it's not rocket science. There are plenty of information resources available on the web so that you should be able to fit yourself for free. Besides, you will likely find the right setup only after some trial and error. That is to say, you might pay someone to fit you, only to find that the general "rules" they use don't give you the right setup. You might also just start riding with your local cycling club...if you ask, someone will likely help you figure out the best setup for you.
I get it and depending on the situation a fit is probably not needed. I ended up going for the fit, and it was a great experience. Definitely worth doing at least once to have someone show you the ropes.

As far as your legs hurting...you might just not be in good riding shape yet. It takes a little while. Although you have done some short-distance running, cycling is a whole different thing. So you can expect to be sore at first. Of course, how you feel is based on a lot...age, height/weight, bike setup, what type of riding (flats, hills, both), diet, etc. Personally, I wouldn't be too concerned about soreness. Like someone else said above...do some stretching after your ride (10 minutes or so worth). Start with the big muscles and work to the small. Also, your seat height and cleat positioning will have a tremendous effect on what muscles you're using.
I'm not worried about muscle soreness, it's joint pain thats concerning. Surprisingly, even with all the hills. I've had zero muscle soreness believe it or not. Just flat out knee joint discomfort. I expected muscle soreness in quads, hamstrings and calves but haven't experienced any yet. Seems like my knees must be a weak link in regards to the pedaling motion that is specific to cycling.

Take two aleve after your ride, then another 12 hours later (although advil has always worked better for me, the black-box warning and some chest discomfort have pushed me toward Aleve). Icing the affected muscle (10min on/10min off) for an hour the night after your ride would likely help you a good bit as well. Drink plenty of fluids...but not just water. Go see a sports medicine doctor if you keep having these problems.
I take advil as needed, but wouldn't take it directly after a ride or run. NSAIDs when taken during a possibly dehydrated state will wreck havoc on your kidneys.
Old 09-01-15, 02:46 PM
Unglued

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just a follow up. Fit was great and I'm more comfortable on the bike. I'm still having knee discomfort that is potentially patellofemoral, but will need to see a sports doctor to discern. I think I'll need to find a way to avoid hills, not easy where I am.
Old 09-01-15, 02:49 PM
Unglued

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc V
Carbonfiberboy is probably right, because that is a common problem of cyclists when taking on new hills or hills for the first time. The first year I started riding my knee pain came from a tight IT band (which foam rolling greatly improved) and weak VMOs. The patellar pain (from patellofemoral pain syndrome since there was no cartilage damage) was diagnosed by an ortho doc. His recommendation was to decrease riding and mix in other endurance exercise. I did not like this answer so I sought out ways to fix the problem. The pain was fixed by:

1) taking a week off the hills with rest, foam rolling and ibuprofen
2) taping the knee with kinesio tape to encourage the knee to track correctly until I could strengthen my VMO. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqaP...ature=youtu.be for taping technique. There are 2 techniques in the video, the second technique starting at 3:30 worked best for me.
3) strengthening my VMO using this technique (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5BDi8Oj5eM) and doing lunges

Now I have no pain and I do not need to use kinesio tape. The bike fitting is a good idea, but if the pain persists after the ortho analysis and fitting, then it is probably a weak muscle issue.
Sounds like a good plan.

Did you take any time off to let the knee inflammation subside?

Did you notice immediate results with the kinesio tape? Is it better than getting a brace?
Old 09-01-15, 03:00 PM
Zerokreap

Bikes: 1986 Bianichi Sport SX (Orchid), 1988 Bianchi Super Leggera (Celeste), 1989 Bianchi Giro (stripped of paint and waiting for a refurb), 1996 Cannondale F500 (Red), 2010 Cannondale SystemSix (Red/Black)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I get it and depending on the situation a fit is probably not needed. I ended up going for the fit, and it was a great experience. Definitely worth doing at least once to have someone show you the ropes.

I'm not worried about muscle soreness, it's joint pain thats concerning. Surprisingly, even with all the hills. I've had zero muscle soreness believe it or not. Just flat out knee joint discomfort. I expected muscle soreness in quads, hamstrings and calves but haven't experienced any yet. Seems like my knees must be a weak link in regards to the pedaling motion that is specific to cycling.

I take advil as needed, but wouldn't take it directly after a ride or run. NSAIDs when taken during a possibly dehydrated state will wreck havoc on your kidneys.

Yeah, joint pain is definitely a different matter altogether. You may have some problems in the joint...but it could also be a tight IT band. Whenever my IT band is really tight (usually after riding hills), the pain seems to emanate from my knee joint. In my case, I have always assumed that either the tightness is pulling my joint slightly out of alignment, or it is just a case of referred pain (pain caused by one part of the body, that feels like it is coming from another). If your IT band isn't tight, then it might just be some arthritis in your knee. Time for the scope!
Old 09-02-15, 07:48 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Great article, thank you for sharing.

Raising the saddle has helped quite a bit. I adjusted based on the average of the different methods found online. (Lemond's chart seems to have gotten me near where I want to be). Based on that, it was actually about 1.5cm too low. I may be a tad (1mm or so) high now. I feel some tightening/stretching in the back of my legs at points.

I have some residual pain from when the seat was low in the petellar and quad tendon, but nothing like what I experienced before where it was a global ache in both knees.

I also did the fore/aft alignment (KOPs) as well. I think I'm in a good neutral spot, maybe slighting forward as some recommendations said being a little more forward is less detrimental than backwards. Seat tilt is currently level.

I have a few questions on fine tuning... What is the best bet for climbing. Should I adjust a little more forward or backward? I have a lot of medium sized climbs and any 15 mile route could include 900ft of elevation change over multiple hills from 2-12% grades. I spend most of my time climbing seated, if that makes a difference.

Also, Speedplays seem great. May be my first upgrade as I move along with this.
I can't say anything about pedals, save that I still use toeclips.

It's good that you raised your saddle - if I was low by 1.5 cm I'd be quite in pain! Too low gives you pain in the front of your knee and too high in pain in the back of it - at least, these are the rules of thumb.

Regarding front-back - your body doesn't necessarily move forward because your saddle is placed forward. For some of us, the body wants to pedal where it wants to pedal. For me, the lower the back position that I want, the farther back my butt wants to be. Think of it like a deep ski tuck versus a shallow ski tuck, or a shallow squat versus a deep one.

When your butt gets in the optimum position you are balanced over the pedals (expect some discussion on this point!), and based on your core strength there is a minimum of weight on your hands. Where the saddle comes in is that your butt placement dictates your sit bone location, and that is where the wide part of the saddle has to go.
Old 09-02-15, 07:50 PM
RIP Chainrings

Bikes: 1997 LeMond Reno, 1973 Gazelle T'dLA (retired)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As mention higher sadde or longer cranks or more aft saddle position
Old 09-05-15, 10:11 PM
Doc V

Bikes: Novara Trenta Road, Trek ZX6000 MTB

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I only took a week off with ibuprofen use. The foam rolling of my buttocks, quads, hamstrings and calves had an immediate effect. The taping helped while riding.
Old 09-07-15, 05:13 PM
TGT1

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy

OTOH, a minority have knee issues such that their feet must be fixed to keep their knees happy. These folks ride with a zero float cleat/pedal system and perhaps need an outside observer to get their foot angle set properly.
That's me.

My knee issues went away when I went to zero float. Didn't need an outside observer to set it up though.