Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Headphones when riding

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Headphones when riding

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-17, 03:03 PM
ciclista_pazza

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Absolute, Yokota mountain bike (199?), 1979 Schwinn Le Tour Mixte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
I think it's fine if some people can bike with headphones but I can't imagine doing this. I rely so much on my hearing when riding to know when it's safe to think about moving left or to just be on guard that a vehicle is approaching from behind. The only thing that trips me up is when there's a Prius behind me because they are eerily silent.
Old 11-30-17, 03:11 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,463 Times in 1,433 Posts
I use a Motorola S305 bluetooth headset. It hooks onto my ears and wraps around the back of my neck. It's inexpensive at around $25. I can hook it onto one or two ears. It doesn't seal out sound very well, which is good on the bike. In light traffic, I put only one ear on. In heavy traffic, I don't use it at all. On a bike path with no motor vehicles, I use both ears. Also, I usually choose spoken word, because traffic noise cuts through that better than it cuts through music. And to be honest, no source of sound lets all traffic sounds in if you can hear the recorded sound at all.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-30-17, 03:38 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,534 Times in 1,044 Posts
Originally Posted by WNCGoater
Because we ride horribly designed ergonomically dysfunctional machines which causes us to experience backaches, neck aches, numb arms and hands, headaches, knee and joint pain, bruised arses with saddle sores, vertigo, urological and sexual disfunction, poorly performing retirement funds, and various & sundry other maladies too numerous to mention. The music takes our pathetic minds off our irksome, aching conditions.

Ah, but what is one to do? If only there was a solution...
I'm still waiting for the obvious "solution" to all those physical woes from bicycling to drop on this thread like a ton of husked corn.
Old 11-30-17, 04:13 PM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
I'm still waiting for the obvious "solution" to all those physical woes from bicycling to drop on this thread like a ton of husked corn.
Old 11-30-17, 10:50 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5775 Post(s)
Liked 2,573 Times in 1,424 Posts
To the OP.

I know that you were as clear as possible about not wanting to open debate of the soundness of headphones, and simply wanted to discuss brand/model options.

I don't have a dog in the fight, but was curious and did a quick scan. It doesn't seem to have gone well, but I do have a question.

You reportedly found a set of phones that you're very happy with, and didn't mention anything you didn't like. So, my question.

Why did you open this can of worms again?

(don't answer, it was purely rhetorical)

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 11-30-17, 11:59 PM
Tommy1955
Senior Rider

Bikes: 2017 Trek FX 3 Hybrid

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just started using a "Celtic Blu" bike speaker sold on Amazon. It's freakin awesome with great sound. With it being mounted on the frame, I can still hear people coming. I use a helmet mirror so I can monitor behind me too. Once I got used to the mirror, I won't ride without it anymore. This speaker has around 30 hrs. of playing time and can charge my phone with it if I need to. Even though this speaker can play very loud without distortion, I try to keep it fairly low in volume.
Old 12-01-17, 12:10 AM
Hardrock23

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Prelude

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
I just use the ones that came with my phone...the white Samsung ones. They are good enough. I use 1 bud in the right ear & listen to either music or the 'Kane Show' if it is on.
Old 12-01-17, 12:33 AM
gif4445

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Why not just enjoy the bike ride?
Cause we want music too. But when I bike in Lincoln, especially the eastern area, I don't listen to music. Too dangerous. Friggin' idiots behind the wheel.
Old 12-01-17, 04:31 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
speaker vs earbuds/headphones. i'll take the speaker. everyone's different but earbuds/headphones don't work well for me and riding without music
in an urban environment doesn't work for me but the speaker in the middle pocket of the jersey does. i respect those that don't wanna listen to music while riding
and i respect those that do. listen and let listen.
Old 12-01-17, 11:27 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
bluetooth plantronics backbeat fit - not noise canceling, can definitely hear all ambient sound. easy to raise volume on MUP rides and lower when on streets. good call quality as well. incredibly durable and sweat proof.

Not a huge fan of people who blare music from speakers on their bikes. I don't want to listen to your music, sorry. Keep the volume down or get buds.
Old 12-02-17, 02:16 PM
Arthur Peabody

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts
The law requires both drivers and bicyclists to have at least 1 ear unplugged. I used to listen to stuff on a cheapo mp3 player with $1 earphones but stopped; I prefer silence.
Old 12-02-17, 03:20 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by Arthur Peabody
The law requires both drivers and bicyclists to have at least 1 ear unplugged. I used to listen to stuff on a cheapo mp3 player with $1 earphones but stopped; I prefer silence.
You'll have all the silence you can handle soon enough-- the wind and traffic noise is gradually putting you deaf.
Old 12-02-17, 10:07 PM
WiBoy 

Bikes: A red one

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aftershocks trek titanium is hands down we’ll worth the money...
Old 12-03-17, 09:09 AM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
I just use a cheap pair of Skull Candy JBL earbuds. They cancel out the wind noise very well and the sound quality is just OK. Good bass for the 10 dollars or so I pay for them at Meijer stores. They also help out in colder weather, where colder air is blocked from my ear canals. My head just feels warmer (probably a placebo effect). When no music is played, I can hear cars coming up behind me better do to wind noise cancellation.

I listen to cheesy dance/pop music, like CC Music Factory, kpop groups like T-Ara, etc. Occasionally, Slipknot too.
Old 12-03-17, 10:14 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I prefer some inexpensive BT earbuds I order off Amazon. The sound quality is terrible but that's OK since the volume is low anyway.
Old 12-03-17, 08:17 PM
bicyclridr4life
Bicyclerider4life

Bikes: Huffy Beach Cruisers, Miami Sun Trike, Vertical PK7, KHS Montana Summit, Giant Cypress DX, Schwinn OCC Stingray

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I wear a Bluetooth headset when I ride, so I don't (necessarily) have to stop to answer the daRn phone.
As for listening to music while travelling ... I prefer not to ... especially when it is someone driving one of those mobile boom boxes with the trunk and doors vibrating, listening to RAP "music".
(Sorry, but rap gives me a major head hurt.)
Old 12-03-17, 08:54 PM
Rcrxjlb

Bikes: Unknown Kalin MTB, 2013 Denali, 1977 Raleigh from Malaysia, 1982 Univega Nuovo Sport

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Bizman
I never ride while listening to music with headphones or earbuds as I don't feel it's safe. Your state may vary but here in PA it is illegal.

Section 3314 of the vehicle code specifically prohibits the use of headphones by vehicle operators. This has been held by caselaw to apply to a motorcyclist wearing earbuds under his helmet. The above-quoted section making all laws applicable to drivers of vehicles applicable to cyclists means that the common practice of riding with earbuds is technically illegal in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
I'm glad I don't live in that nanny-state...
Old 12-03-17, 08:58 PM
rachel120

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LG Tone Pro. I put in only the right earbud, the left ear is for traffic. In an urgent situation (or when Metallica is on the radio) I can tug the earbud out of my ear in a second. Getting it back in is a little harder, best done at red lights or water breaks.

And it was really nice to be listening to music the day my mother called and I could switch to the call without having to stop and dig out my phone.

State law says that I can't cover both ears. I wouldn't want to anyway.
Old 12-03-17, 09:12 PM
Beachbumer

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use my Apple ear buds all the time while I ride. I like listening to music while I ride and when I want silence I just turn the music off. I find that I can hear other bicycles and cars coming up behind me just fine and they block the wind noise very well.
Old 12-03-17, 10:25 PM
ORrecumbentEZ3

Bikes: Sun EZ Tri Classic, Tour Easy Classic

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Personally, I like to hear all that's going on around me. I don't even listen to the radio when driving as I like to be in tune to my cars motor. But, if you feel safe, then go for it.
Old 12-03-17, 11:05 PM
Bizman

Bikes: 2014 Carbon Quest XS (Velomobile), 2014 Catrike Road (Trike), 2013 Easy Motion Max 700+ PCS (E-bike), 2011 Lynskey R340 (Road), 2011 Surly Moonlander (Fatty), 2010 Santa Cruise Tallboy (Full Suspension)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by TruthBomb
It’s legal to ride or drive with just one earbud in PA.
Thanks for the (perhaps) correction to my post! I had taken that from section 3314 of the PA vehicle code as I have been compiling a list of laws to carry with me about riding bicycles in PA to reference in case I am ever questioned for something I perhaps do "illegally" (riding with earbuds/headphones would never be one of them!) and would need to reference in front of a police officer.

Since reading your correction to my post I thought I would do a search about your correction to see what I could find? The only thing I could find was that when using a cell phone to "talk on" (Bluetooth?) would be legal to have one ear connected with a listening device while the other ear is free to hear ambient outside noise. I saw nothing stating about listening to music, talk shows, etc. I guess everyone could interpret that a different way?

Here is a link to my search where there is info about the subject. https://www.google.com/search?q=is+i...&client=safari

If you have other info indicating the legality of this I would be interested so I could reference it? I don't want to carry inaccurate info when trying to prove a law/rule to an officer. Thanks for any clarification on this, it's much appreciated!

Edit: here is one to add to check your state. https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/201...while-driving/

Last edited by Bizman; 12-03-17 at 11:08 PM.
Old 12-04-17, 01:08 AM
Bmach

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
Your Pa law says when using a cell phone it does not state cell use for phone calls. So using your cell phone and listing to music would ok, because it cell phone use.
Old 12-04-17, 02:20 AM
Bizman

Bikes: 2014 Carbon Quest XS (Velomobile), 2014 Catrike Road (Trike), 2013 Easy Motion Max 700+ PCS (E-bike), 2011 Lynskey R340 (Road), 2011 Surly Moonlander (Fatty), 2010 Santa Cruise Tallboy (Full Suspension)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmach
Your Pa law says when using a cell phone it does not state cell use for phone calls. So using your cell phone and listing to music would ok, because it cell phone use.
If you have a link so I can reference and copy about this that would be great thanks!

Here is the link in reference: https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/201...while-driving/

"Cellular communication" is what is quoted as being OK at that link for Pa, I don't see anything or have found anything stating about music, talk shows etc being allowed?:

"Headphones or earbuds prohibited while driving. Single-ear audio systems for cellular communication okay, as are hearing aids".
Old 12-04-17, 07:56 AM
rachel120

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bizman
If you have a link so I can reference and copy about this that would be great thanks!

Here is the link in reference: https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/201...while-driving/

"Cellular communication" is what is quoted as being OK at that link for Pa, I don't see anything or have found anything stating about music, talk shows etc being allowed?:

"Headphones or earbuds prohibited while driving. Single-ear audio systems for cellular communication okay, as are hearing aids".
Title 75 - PA General Assembly

Chapter 33, Subchapter A, Section 3314 (b)
"nor does it prohibit the use of a headset in conjunction with a cellular telephone that only provides sound through one ear and allows surrounding sounds to be heard with the other ear"

So according to the letter of the law, you can't use an MP3 player but you can use your phone as long as your attached headset covers only one ear. There is no restriction on the nature of the sound through the headset, no requirement that the sound must be limited to phone calls, so any noise is fair game.
Old 12-04-17, 02:26 PM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
I play music over my mounted phone that I use as my ride computer when I'm out on the trails. Sometimes I'll put a bluetooth speaker in my second bottle cage to make it louder, depending on how far away from other people I'll be.

I find on a quiet ride the phone is plenty loud enough for me to hear the music and still be fully aware of my surroundings, and not loud enough to annoy one who's out on the trail looking for a little peace and quiet as you can't hear the phone speaker from more than 10 feet away. The bluetooth speaker can totally drown out all ambient noise like other bikers and cars crossing the bike trail. So I only use it when I'm really off by myself and not anywhere near traffic. (When commuting on suburban streets even the bluetooth speaker is quickly overpowered by the road noise of heavy traffic and such)

As for head phones, hell no. Especially anywhere in the vicinity of traffic. A pair of ear buds can drown out traffic noise. That just seems like it's begging for a trip to the hospital to me. I rely on my ears almost as much as my eyes when I'm riding near traffic. ESPECIALLY for what might be approaching from behind. I would never want to dull that hearing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.