Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

MUP Gripes 2019

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-19, 07:07 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
people that break glass on it is definitely #1 for me
Old 05-02-19, 07:18 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18398 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
You know how I know that pic wasn't taken anywhere near here? Well, there's a bear in it, an appreciable amount of water, and everything is green.

Also, a few inches above the bear and to the left, I think you may have captured a sasquatch on film.
North central PA in mid-September.

And I saw Sasquatch in 2017 in Yaak, MT hanging out on top of a bar. Only I didn't realize it or I would have taken a better photo. Yaak is in the relatively remote, northwest corner of the state, close to Canada. It's surrounded by thousands of square miles of wilderness that is home to elk, black bears and even grizzlies. The running joke up there is that Bigfoot lives in the woods. Someone even made up a posted on a telephone pole (there is no cell service) a funny flyer featuring the U.S.F.S. logo explaining that Bigfoot will not attack you.

Old 05-02-19, 07:22 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18398 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Dude, I can beat you with my single speed.
You couldn't beat an egg if I gave you a bowl, fork and hand written instructions.
Old 05-02-19, 07:26 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Someone even made up a posted on a telephone pole (there is no cell service) a funny flyer featuring the U.S.F.S. logo explaining that Bigfoot will not attack you.
That's easy for them to say.
Old 05-02-19, 07:41 AM
fxbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
My gripe is with idiotic posts that complain about kids on bike paths. If you don't want to deal with that, use the street and quit whining.

This isn't the first such thread you've started, and I would hope you had learned by now what the MU in MUP stands for.
yeap, this I agree
Old 05-02-19, 07:51 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
You couldn't beat an egg if I gave you a bowl, fork and hand written instructions.
Y'all come down.

Incidentally, this ride was on a 96 mile long MUP.

Last edited by TimothyH; 05-02-19 at 07:56 AM.
Old 05-02-19, 10:30 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
TimothyH

If I were to come down to Georgia to ride that Silver Comet, what advise would you give?

Where to start, stay, direction, day of the week etc.

Assuming driving from South Carolina, riding in the afternoon, spending the night and riding all day the next day then driving home

thanks for any tips!
Old 05-02-19, 11:08 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Most everyone pays taxes, and so are entitled to use the MUPs. Just because they dont use them as the OP sees fit is just a tuff bounce.
Old 05-02-19, 01:06 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Teamprovicycle
AAAAH yes its that time of year , when all the fake fitness dweebs come out of their electronic device induced hibernation to pretend to get in shape , and see the outdoors ???
they take to the local "BIKE PATH " to clog it up with all sorts of non BIKE activities and PERSONAL TIME ,
such as , 30 foot dog leash walking , because your dog has to be 30 feet away cross both lanes for it to be consider a humane experience ,
and dont forget entire family on the path 5 wide taking both lanes ,
kiddy slalom sessions , because dodging ninja laser beams is radical !!!
and we cant leave out , the rides the pitch black path with no lights or reflectors ,
the classic ,
head to toe high vis with three tail lights gives you a dirty look for wearing black , but cant handle and up right Schwinn with training wheels lol ,

anyway post all your MUP GRIPES BELOW!!!!
Those paths are not called Pretentious Judgmental Self-Absorbed Cyclist Only Path. Anyone not on a motor vehicle can and should use them. Use the roads so that motorists can gripe about you.
Old 05-02-19, 04:32 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Most everyone pays taxes, and so are entitled to use the MUPs. Just because they dont use them as the OP sees fit is just a tuff bounce.
+1, there times I avoid them, but everyone is entitled to use them, hence the term MUP
Old 05-02-19, 05:19 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Is this considered a (popcorn) thread if all the replies are in agreement? Recently I posted:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
What may annoy you when commuting?

This thread has deteriorated into another pointless popcorn thread about MUPS, after a stint as a popcorn thread about even just riding on the road at all.
Originally Posted by oldnslow2
I think we made our point.

How about we invoke a mercy rule?
To add to the pile-on, I agree most with:
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I don't have any gripes with MUPS, they are there for all people to enjoy and not just for cyclists.
I'm dismayed to read such “cyclo-centric” attitudes about MUPS, that would be astonishing to the non-cycling public, who likely pay more in aggregate to maintain them.
Originally Posted by canklecat
If we ride often enough on MUPs we've all seen...wannabe racers riding too fast for conditions, sometimes two abreast, sometimes in mini-pelotons and not giving any consideration to other users -- slower cyclists, old folks walking with canes or walkers, families with strollers and toddlers and dogs on 50 yard retractable non-leashes (the dogs too), etc.

That's life on the multi-use path. Always been that way. Always will be. It's just the nature of the thing…

Jerks are gonna jerk. But most folks are pretty cool about using the MUP. I prefer to keep the latter in mind
…My own thought is that a MUP is not so much a commuter route, or training venue, but a pastoral park, where people can enjoy themselves without too many worries, and needn’t be always vigilant, as is a cyclist on the Road.

A few years ago I went on a walking tour of the Boston’s Emerald Necklace park system designed by the great 19th century landscape architect Frederic Law Olmsted with the concept of a Promenade in mind.

According to the Park Ranger, it was planned “to take a leisurely walk, ride, or drive in public, especially to meet or be seen by others (Oxford Dictionary).

The strollers would be dressed in their best Sunday clothes, and running and horses (and ? bicycles) would be discouraged.

My own Golden Rule of Cycling is Do unto the Pedestrians, as you would have the Cagers do unto you.
Old 05-02-19, 06:15 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
A few days before I saw Mr. Porcupine I let out a sneeze while riding a different MUP. Heard some crashing in the brush along the trail and then a splash. Nearly wiped out while stopping to get out my camera. Was able to snap a photo just before he disappeared into the grass on the other side of the creek.

Your stray dogs run big in them parts I guess?
Old 05-02-19, 06:53 PM
flyjimmy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
My biggest gripe about MUPs is that I find many of the regular people do give way to me or take the time to stop and admire me as a cyclist.
Old 05-03-19, 08:17 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,272 Times in 1,274 Posts
There is one portion of my regular ride that I take a MUP for a short while. Mostly Ok, although there are times it gets frustrating. I try to ride on the road, provided it seems safe. I think there are a few folks who are inconsiderate no matter where you are . The cyclists and motorists are not excluded from this. I live in a densely populated area(UGH!) and I just try to stay in my own head (scary place) and not get in anybody's way. I use a bell and that helps, I got tired of trying to warn people verbally and the bell works about 80% of the time. Joe joesvintageroadbikes.wordpress
Old 05-05-19, 08:21 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
If I'm on a MUP before 8 a.m. on the weekends pretty much anywhere, there's sparse traffic on it. Before 7 a.m., just a very few joggers and cyclists, and virtually no one dawdling.

Had a porcupine and a couple of deer encounters on a MUP last fall. All quite pleasant, but they did seem confused when I told them I'd be passing on the left.
Did the porcupine tell you they had better barbs? (Sorry, the latent 8-year old in me couldn't resist)
Old 05-05-19, 10:52 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Is this considered a (popcorn) thread if all the replies are in agreement? Recently I posted:To add to the pile-on, I agree most with:
Um...that was so confusing, I don't know where to start. Ironic, since you apparently nest for clarity.

Last edited by mstateglfr; 05-06-19 at 05:43 AM.
Old 05-06-19, 03:09 AM
Jim from Boston

Is this considered a (popcorn) thread if all the replies are in agreement?
Originally Posted by oldnslow2
I think we made our point.

How about we invoke a mercy rule?
Recently I posted:...

To add to the pile-on, I agree most with...:
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Um...that was so confusing, I don't know where to start. Ironic, since you appare fly nest for clarity.
Thanks for reading. What does this, "you appare fly nest for clarity" mean?

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-06-19 at 03:20 AM.
Old 05-06-19, 04:51 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
It means "voice recognition technology steel habs pablums."
Old 05-06-19, 05:05 AM
Jim from Boston

It means "voice recognition technology steel habs pablums."
Ain't it the truth; I use Dragon.
Old 05-06-19, 05:42 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Auto correct.
'Appare fly' should be apparently.

So that explains my confusing post....
Old 05-06-19, 06:25 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
We have a MUP that goes past a softball diamond. Parents of the Little Leaguers routinely drive their vehicles on the MUP right past the "No Motor Vehicles Allowed" sign to drop off their children closer to the diamond. I guess their little "athletes" can't walk a couple hundred feet from the parking lot to the diamond.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 05-06-19, 06:47 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,042 Posts
Auto correct.
'Appare fly' should be apparently.

So that explains my confusing post....
Your post was less confusing than reading any rehash of previous posts nested for so-called "clarity."
Old 05-06-19, 07:04 AM
PGHNeil

Bikes: 2003 Trek 4900, 2019 Trek Marlin 7

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
I didn't even know what a MUP was until I saw this thread. Googling it didn't help because "major urinary protein" came up which made me think of ketoacidosis.

Seriously though, what I like about these types of discussions is that it makes me step back from my griping and see how silly it really is. Cycling - especially on multi-use trails - has generally been a very positive experience. I try to do my part and at least wheeze out "on your left" as I downshift so as not to spook pedestrians.

The only real gripe I have with those types of trails is how some people put fitness before personal responsibility or situational awareness. I had a jogger wearing earbuds do a blind u-turn after I thought I'd adequately announced that I was overtaking her to her left. I'll accept my part of responsibility for that error and make it a point to downshift and slow down when approaching people moving slowly in my direction or stopped.

I agree though, it's about sharing the trail. If I want to truly "open it up" I'll load my bike in the back of the van and travel to a trailhead in a more secluded section. Late morning/early afternoon on the weekdays seem to be the best "low traffic" times.
Old 05-06-19, 07:17 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Um...that was so confusing, I don't know where to start. Ironic, since you apparently nest for clarity.
This.
Old 05-06-19, 07:22 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by PGHNeil
I didn't even know what a MUP was until I saw this thread. Googling it didn't help because "major urinary protein" came up which made me think of ketoacidosis.

Seriously though, what I like about these types of discussions is that it makes me step back from my griping and see how silly it really is. Cycling - especially on multi-use trails - has generally been a very positive experience. I try to do my part and at least wheeze out "on your left" as I downshift so as not to spook pedestrians.

The only real gripe I have with those types of trails is how some people put fitness before personal responsibility or situational awareness. I had a jogger wearing earbuds do a blind u-turn after I thought I'd adequately announced that I was overtaking her to her left. I'll accept my part of responsibility for that error and make it a point to downshift and slow down when approaching people moving slowly in my direction or stopped.

I agree though, it's about sharing the trail. If I want to truly "open it up" I'll load my bike in the back of the van and travel to a trailhead in a more secluded section. Late morning/early afternoon on the weekdays seem to be the best "low traffic" times.
"Hell is other people". There's just no getting around that basic fact, especially when riding a bike for pleasure. You gots to pick your times and routes carefully.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.