Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Sidi sizing woes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Sidi sizing woes

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-07, 10:12 AM
mrbubbles
?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sidi sizing woes

I'm pulling the trigger on a Sidi Energy 5.5HT, but I'm having a hard time deciding to go with a 42 or a 42.5. I have tried size 42 and size 43. 43 is definitely a little big, so that is out. 42 is a little snug where the largest toe on both feet is touching the shoe end, and I haven't had a chance to try a 42.5.

For those wearing size 8.5, what size do you wear for Sidis? Do I want it snug or a little more room and go for the 42.5?

One last thing, can you recommend me a place online that sells a 42.5 Sidi Energy 5.5 HT in Black/Red that accepts paypal?

Thanks
Old 05-22-07, 10:33 AM
Surferbruce

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
go with the 42.5 toes touching is a recipe for pain and suffering. the traditonal rule for cycling shoes is half a thumbs width of wiggle room at the front.
Old 05-22-07, 10:39 AM
cslone
Quarq shill

Bikes: 08 Felt F4, 05 Fuji Team SL, 08 Planet X Stealth, 10 Kona Jake the Snake, 03 Giant OCR flat bar.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If they are too snug when you are standing there, they will be way too snug when your feet swell after 2 hours in the saddle. I'd go with the 42.5 at least.
Old 05-22-07, 10:41 AM
531Aussie
Aluminium Crusader :-)

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
My Sidis stretched A LOT!! I bought some 44s that felt perfect walking around the shop, but a year later I was wearing 3 pairs of socks and using two insoles. So, definitely don't get the 43s.
The 42.5s will probably also stretch, but if worst comes to worst, wearing very
thick socks, or even an extra pair is no big deal.

Also, having very snug shoes which constrict your toes and only allow you to wear
one pair of thin socks can lead to numbs tootsies on cool days

Old 05-22-07, 10:43 AM
sancocho
That's bone.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just went through the shoe buying process and determined early on that my feet just don't fit well in Sidi. The Mega was too big and the standard was too cramped. Get over the Sidi fixation and go with a shoe that fits your foot well. Try every make you can. If you live in a big market, it shouldn't be too hard. Go bigger because your feet swell when you ride. Another thing to consider is customized footbeds to help take up space.

I tried Carnac, DMT, Sidi, Specialized, Shimano, and Northwave before I settled on the Shimano R131s. The combination of the fit and the smoking value of the shoe made it an easy choice. Lots of raves out there for the R300 that can be "thermoform"ed, too.
Old 05-22-07, 10:48 AM
531Aussie
Aluminium Crusader :-)

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by sancocho
I just went through the shoe buying process and determined early on that my feet just don't fit well in Sidi. The Mega was too big and the standard was too cramped. Get over the Sidi fixation and go with a shoe that fits your foot well..
Good advice, and such that I should've heeded before I bought 2 pairs of Hi Techs.

My 44s were are a little too big, and my 43 are a tiny bit cramped in the 'toe box'.
A cramped 'toe box' seems to be not an uncommon complaint about Sidis
Old 05-22-07, 10:58 AM
OCRider2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My personal opinion is that you want to avoid shoes that are even slightly too big. If Sidi doesn't make a shoe that fits you perfectly I would probably try some other brands.
Old 05-22-07, 12:48 PM
TickDoc

Bikes: 2011 ciocc san cristobal. 2008 seven odonata. 1951 condor m05. 1990 ciocc San cristobal 2012 cervelo s3. 2001 Colnago ct-1. 1990 Concorde Astore.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
woops! here's the link....

here's where I bought mine. Great service , decent pricing, and fast shipping. Can't help you on the size, though.

good luck!
Old 05-22-07, 12:48 PM
TickDoc

Bikes: 2011 ciocc san cristobal. 2008 seven odonata. 1951 condor m05. 1990 ciocc San cristobal 2012 cervelo s3. 2001 Colnago ct-1. 1990 Concorde Astore.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
woops! here's the link....

https://stores.ebay.com/EuroBikeParts-LLC
Old 05-22-07, 02:07 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by OCRider2000
My personal opinion is that you want to avoid shoes that are even slightly too big. If Sidi doesn't make a shoe that fits you perfectly I would probably try some other brands.
I think the OP really has no choice but to go custom. www.rocket7.com
Old 05-22-07, 02:50 PM
mrbubbles
?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Retried the size 42s at a local store today. I'm pulling the trigger on it online. The reason I'm buying online is because the local store only carries in silver, which considering the Northwest Coast rains half of the year, I'll stick with black.
Old 05-22-07, 02:53 PM
8Lives

Bikes: Lemond Zurich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am going through this as well. I just ordered the Sidi 5.5 in 45. I was going back and forth between that and a 44.5. Both feel good, fitting my rather narrow foot well. My problem was talking myself out of the 44.5 which had my toes pretty snugly against the end. Years of buying climbing shoes just warps your sense of proper fit for anything else.
Old 05-22-07, 02:53 PM
mrbubbles
?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
I think the OP really has no choice but to go custom. www.rocket7.com
I would love to go custom, but they only offer it in velcro. No thanks, not a big fan of velcros.
Old 05-22-07, 02:55 PM
mrbubbles
?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TickDoc
here's where I bought mine. Great service , decent pricing, and fast shipping. Can't help you on the size, though.

good luck!
Is there a specific reason why you are posting a picture of your bike in a bike shoe thread?

Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just that we're talking about shoes