Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

65-85+ Thread

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

65-85+ Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-10, 03:58 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The Logos on the back of my F150 fit this thread to a tee. Although the number will be turning 70 real soon. Anyway, it fits this thread..Thought I would share..My wife's bike and mine..

Old 05-18-10, 04:32 PM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Location: The Gardens, Roses & Orchids. Bulacan The Philippines and Red Mountain, Ca. USA

Bikes: Schwinn Mountain, Diamondback Expert Road & REI Randonee Touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Keep pumping dude, you da man
Old 05-18-10, 06:49 PM
Ken Brown
cycling fanatic

Bikes: Cannondale T800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Turned 65 two weeks ago so this is my first visit to this thread. I was hoping I wouldn't see postings here about centuries but, alas, some people can still do it. Actually I never did ride a century, though I am sure I could have when younger. My maximum was 90 miles when I was 35, but that was touring with loaded panniers in hilly countryside and I had enough energy left to explore Seattle on foot that evening.

A few years ago I could do 100 km touring but my maximum seems to be about 60 km now. I can still go fast and I am strong up short hills, but endurance just isn't what it used to be.
Old 05-18-10, 07:26 PM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Location: The Gardens, Roses & Orchids. Bulacan The Philippines and Red Mountain, Ca. USA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to "The Old Group", hope you kids can keep up.

Ken, you do what you enjoy! If it's 20 miles three times a week fine, that's what I do. Thing is enjoy everything you do, push as hard as you want to. It's like giving money to the cuURch, you don't give till it hurts you give till it feels good.

I also lift weight three days a week and today my wonderful wife joined me so maybe She will want to do more often.

Welcome, enjoy and please post often.
Old 05-19-10, 08:19 AM
daveinozbikes

Bikes: Apollo racer. circa 1984.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hooray...sort of....

Please welcome me to this thread....I have two hours of my 65th birthday left.

Can"t say I"m pleased to qualify, although a lot don"t get even this far. Must be the average of two kms I do every day on me bike. (a red Trek Equinox E9 converted to a really nice road bike). Will post pics. soon,not now "cos it"s nearly bedtime and my 22 year old wife is calling me....
only kidding.

Ok you old farts....see you later...ZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

Dave in Western Australia.(Official Pensioner)
Old 05-19-10, 08:39 AM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Burr
Keep pumping dude, you da man
Yo Burr, me and the wife will be strapping the bikes to the back of the F150 and heading out to scenic places..Got a bike rack that fits right in the hitch.

Oh boy, and I will be pumping too...
Old 05-19-10, 08:43 AM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken Brown
Turned 65 two weeks ago so this is my first visit to this thread. I was hoping I wouldn't see postings here about centuries but, alas, some people can still do it. Actually I never did ride a century, though I am sure I could have when younger. My maximum was 90 miles when I was 35, but that was touring with loaded panniers in hilly countryside and I had enough energy left to explore Seattle on foot that evening.

A few years ago I could do 100 km touring but my maximum seems to be about 60 km now. I can still go fast and I am strong up short hills, but endurance just isn't what it used to be.
Since you a newbie 65, let me cue you in ..Life Begins At 65!!

I ain't never rode a century either, but I tell you what, I am gonna do one!!

Please don't throw that block on things because the 65 level has been reached. We just BETTER...

I am no where near as verse in bicycling as you are, so start your endurance training build up.. It will be there. I could almost bet that after this chat, you ready for a double century!!

great peddlin to you,
Old 05-19-10, 08:47 AM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by daveinozbikes
Please welcome me to this thread....I have two hours of my 65th birthday left.

Can"t say I"m pleased to qualify, although a lot don"t get even this far. Must be the average of two kms I do every day on me bike. (a red Trek Equinox E9 converted to a really nice road bike). Will post pics. soon,not now "cos it"s nearly bedtime and my 22 year old wife is calling me....
only kidding.

Ok you old farts....see you later...ZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

Dave in Western Australia.(Official Pensioner)
Ahh, this is great. Happy Birthday Big Time!!

Just like I told the other poster, Life Begins At 65! No Chit!!

Post the pics..

BTW, I am 69, and my 46 year old wife is calling me, and when she calls, I come!!!

Again, Happy Birthday..
Old 05-20-10, 07:17 AM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Howard, you're a dirty old man. I'm 68 and my wife 51.
Read this:

https://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,592762,00.html
Old 05-20-10, 12:24 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Burr
Howard, you're a dirty old man. I'm 68 and my wife 51.
Read this:

https://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,592762,00.html
Being a "dirty old man" does have its moments, I tell you that!!

I read the article, dam good news, I tell you that too...

Burr, I think we have the right idea!!
Old 05-21-10, 03:06 PM
Long Run Nick
Long Run Nick

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
66 here. Closing quickly to 67. Back on a bike after a 12 yr layoff. Bought a new Trek FX 7.3. Put over 300 miles on it in the first 2 weeks. I have been on the roads since 4/76 running. Total miles run 71,400+ . Started riding a road bike in the eraly 80's to cross train. Then went to a mt bike. In the early 90's got a hybrid and rode till '98. Not sure why I stopped. I use to ride a lot when I would get injured from running too much. Pretty much injury free for 12 yrs. Currently have a nagging foot injury which motivated me to get back on a bike. Had my '93 hybrid fixed up--then foolisly rode a new Trek 7.3. Bought it immediately. I am amazed that I have acclimated to the bike so quickly. Did a 50 miler last Sunday. Felt great. Use to run 50 mile+ ultramarathons. Riding is a lot easier. Thanks for letting me share. Nick
Old 05-21-10, 04:39 PM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nick. great. Welcome you are going to put us old guys to shame.
Old 05-21-10, 05:37 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Staying Young At Heart, at 65+

Been thinking a little lately on my age, 69. And how people say I don't act or look my age. And I don't feel like I am 69 either. So, what is happening.

Here are a few things I am doing, that may or may not have and impact on me pushing the aging process back.

One thing comes to mind, and it is kind of funny too. I don't hang with people my age!!!!!!

In the sport of motorcycles I am hanging with 20 and 30 year olds. In other words, do young things, you will be around younger people. I don't feel out of place either.

Here I am at a racetrack in Florida, my riding/traveling partner was 25 opposed my at that time 68.

https://www.cehoward.net/young1.jpg

I dress young..Jeans and cowboy boots and tennis when I am working out. I might put on a pair of shoes about 1 or 2 times a year. Just lately I started putting on suits, and dress pants and that is only to go to church..

I act silly too.

I don't worry about down the line too much, because nobody knows when this gift of life will end.. People say "save for a rainy day"...Sheesh, with me, everyday is raining...

Lastly, I love to throw my Raleigh Competition on my shoulder and run up 5 flights of stairs after getting off the subway. That draws attention, not that I am looking for attentiion, but the attention keeps me pumped up to keep doing it. And that "doing it" is the key to staying young at heart at pass 65..

Plus,I got a young healthy wife too, that helps!!
Old 05-21-10, 05:57 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Long Run Nick
66 here. Closing quickly to 67. Back on a bike after a 12 yr layoff. Bought a new Trek FX 7.3. Put over 300 miles on it in the first 2 weeks. I have been on the roads since 4/76 running. Total miles run 71,400+ . Started riding a road bike in the eraly 80's to cross train. Then went to a mt bike. In the early 90's got a hybrid and rode till '98. Not sure why I stopped. I use to ride a lot when I would get injured from running too much. Pretty much injury free for 12 yrs. Currently have a nagging foot injury which motivated me to get back on a bike. Had my '93 hybrid fixed up--then foolisly rode a new Trek 7.3. Bought it immediately. I am amazed that I have acclimated to the bike so quickly. Did a 50 miler last Sunday. Felt great. Use to run 50 mile+ ultramarathons. Riding is a lot easier. Thanks for letting me share. Nick
Awesome...

That "injury free" came from you being super active.. Only way to go...

When I grow up, I wanna be just like you!!
Old 05-23-10, 05:36 PM
LAriverRat

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Here is my first post. Turned 65 today, rode 65 miles. Best sprint after 50 miles was 23.6 mph for 1/2 mile, then 21 mph for 1 1/2 miles. Wanted to post earlier but waited until i was actually 65.
Old 05-23-10, 05:40 PM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So you ride the LA River? I rode it a many a day from the top to LB and back in to the wind all the way then up hill to Upland.

Welcome and post often "Old Man"!
Old 05-23-10, 09:26 PM
LAriverRat

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Yes i am an old man. They have repaved the Rio Hondo/L.A. riverbed this last three weeks so i have been going over to SGRB from Firestone north to HWY 39 over Santa Fe Dam. It is a good work out, uphill then into the wind coming back. It has improved my endurance. They are redoing the lower half of the SGRB but have not done the worse part of the trail. I will get back on the L.A. trail this coming week to see if it is finished. Usually i go to Shore line Village or over to Seal Beach. Next on my list is to do 100 miles.
Old 05-24-10, 04:43 AM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by LAriverRat
Here is my first post. Turned 65 today, rode 65 miles. Best sprint after 50 miles was 23.6 mph for 1/2 mile, then 21 mph for 1 1/2 miles. Wanted to post earlier but waited until i was actually 65.
Happy B-Day, Ya da man!!!

Listen up, LIFE BEGINS AT 65!!!
Old 05-26-10, 09:59 PM
LAriverRat

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Well, had a nice ride today. My plan is to slowly increase my speed so i can join a club and sustain 20+ mph for a long distance. Hit 25.2 mph in the first sprint and degraded from there. Hope everyone is well.
Old 05-27-10, 05:07 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by LAriverRat
Well, had a nice ride today. My plan is to slowly increase my speed so i can join a club and sustain 20+ mph for a long distance. Hit 25.2 mph in the first sprint and degraded from there. Hope everyone is well.
You raising the bar!!

Just thinking, when you join a club, and they check your age, and you be out doing some of the youngins, they gonna hate ya!!

But, it will be a good hate!!
Old 05-27-10, 05:14 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Don't you love those posts - like:

"I am 50 and I am SO OLD . . . . "
Old 05-29-10, 02:48 PM
LAriverRat

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Don't you love those posts - like:

"I am 50 and I am SO OLD . . . . "
Wish i could remember when i was 50. OMG i am getting old. Just have to stay on this side of the turf.
Old 05-29-10, 02:54 PM
LAriverRat

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cehowardGS
You raising the bar!!

Just thinking, when you join a club, and they check your age, and you be out doing some of the youngins, they gonna hate ya!!

But, it will be a good hate!!
I have to lose maybe 10 to 15 pounds i think to get to 20+. I weigh 190 now. I like ice cream so it may take me a while to do it.
Old 05-30-10, 09:36 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
If I was 50 again I'd take up cyclocross racing.
Now all I can do is watch and cheer on the riders.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 06-01-10, 07:00 PM
LAriverRat

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Went 40 miles today. I don't have a HR monitor but i recite sentences to check how much i am working at the moment. Was hitting 24.7 mph and going 22 mph for 10 miles and was at less than 85% max HR. Did 15 miles in 45 minutes which for me is a first. At no time did i have to gasp between words. The highest speed was 29.7 mph. Bought a computer last month and it is helping a lot for my improvement. Sunny, windy and 74 degrees. Felt really tired last Thursday and Friday like i was out of power. I hope to keep those days to a minimum. I chalk it up to being 65.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.