Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Frame saver alternatives

Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Frame saver alternatives

Old 09-10-08, 07:40 PM
mtnwkr
Pro status

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Frame saver alternatives

My LBS doesn't carry frame saver and I'm about to start a new build and wanted to get that going. While looking around the surly website suggests "motor fog". Anyone ever try it? How about linseed oil? how is that applied?
Thanks!
Old 09-10-08, 08:40 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 26 Posts
I have tried them all (or at least all I know of) including: LPS #3, Boeshield, another sort of heavy smelly "waxyoil" spray made by Pennzoil, Boiled linseed oil (not raw, and be careful with any rags: fire hazard!), and several "foggers" like Deep Creep and one from the makers of Kroil....and the winner is:
JP Weigle's Frame Saver! it's the best. Contact the man hisself and he'll tell you where to get it.
J. P. Weigle Cycles
313 Hamburg Rd.
Lyme, CT 06371
Phone: (860) 434-0700
My application technique is same for any of them: plug up the openings with whatever is handy; use a snorkel tube on the spray cans that permit it and spray liberally in all the tubes and stays; while it's still liquid rotate/spin/twirl the frame to spread it into all internal areas; apply more if in doubt.
Old 09-10-08, 09:36 PM
hhabca

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try automotive rust protection sprays. Two of the ones up here I've used are Rust-Check spray and Krown rust proofing spray. The Rust Check spray is a pinkish oily stuff that leaves a waxy film when it dries. The Krown spray is sold at the Krown shops - it's some sort of oil system but it has chenicals in it that turn rust a dark black color and it really does slow down or stop rust from forming (at least it has on my cars for several years). I've sprayed it inside my steel frames, but I've never put them through the salt winters the cars get, just the odd washing or a rainy day.
Old 09-11-08, 10:08 PM
mtnwkr
Pro status

Bikes: many

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I would have liked frame saver, but didn't want to wait to have it shipped here. What I found at the local auto store was Motor fogging spray from Sta-Bil. $5 a can, and spread real well inside the frame. This bike wont see too much bad weather so I'm not too worried about it. I was happy to see there was NO rust inside the frame when I had it all taken apart!
Thanks for the replies!