Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Casual shoes

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-13, 02:52 AM
ATX_McKee

Bikes: Critical Cycles 57 Fixie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Casual shoes

Hey everybody. I'm going to be buying some new shoes and I'm wondering if I could get some suggestions. I'm just buying basic casual shoes but they'll be the shoes I ride and commute in so I'd like them to be comfortable. Thought about trying puma, has anyone ridden in them that can say good things? If all else fails I'll go back to wearing skate shoes like I used to.

Thanks.
Old 07-06-13, 03:04 AM
License2Ill

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brand doesn't matter. Fit in your measured size matters. Each brand may have a specific fit, but usually individual models within a brand will fit different shapes of feet. You also need to consider your gait(pronation vs neutral) and with that the arch support and torsion control or cushioning provided by the midsole. Lower arches tend to flop and pronate, need arch support and torsional stiffness at the extreme. The lower arch will usually be lower volume, meaning less room over the top(may appear narrow without actually being narrow), and be more straight in shape from front to back. Higher arches are stiffer, need more cushioning, less stiffness and pronation control, may be higher volume without being actually wide in width measurement, and be more curved front to back with a narrower heel. If you want a shoe to be right you have to consider those issues, rather than just throwing another size at it and calling it good. As far as using a show to ride, obviously a stiffer midsole will help when on the pedals, but that may not be what you need while walking. Most people do need some arch support, so something with some bottom stiffness may work well for both. Other than that, what casual means to you is a whole other discussion. There are a million choices. I would say that a trail runner or hiking shoe is more likely to be stiffer than a basketball shoe or a tennis shoe, and most running shoes will say if they are made for pronation control, support, or neutral cushion. Most casual shoes are just a guess in terms of how your feet will actually work in them, let alone how they will actually fit in your measured size. The problem with just sizing up in order to get a fit is that you change the flex point at the bottom, which will change how the shoe works while you walk in it, and how it fits in other parts of the shoe like in the heel. It's never a good idea even though it's been the typical fix for everybody over the years in poorly fitting options.
Old 07-06-13, 08:03 AM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
In my experience, tennis shoes are not a bad choice. Good ones have hard soles, little bounce, little flex, strong toe box, but still comfortable for all day. Some of the leather ones can get hot riding, so pick the shoe understanding what climate you'll be in. Stay away from any type of running shoe, too much flex, too soft.
Old 07-06-13, 08:46 AM
YK_

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A lot of people recommend riding in Sambas (Adidas)
Old 07-06-13, 08:55 AM
mysensesfailme

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride fixed on platforms with cross straps, and use Puma indoor soccer shoes. They'renot super padded like skate shoes, so it gives me a bit more control and response. I like them. If you do end up with Pumas, they run exactly one size up. I wear 10.5 in everything but 11.5 in Puma.
Old 07-06-13, 08:55 AM
mihlbach

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
Get something thats designed for cycling. I cant imagine wearing a tennis shoe on a bike. Talk about the wrong tool for the job. Ive been wearing fiveten freeriders for a couple years now on and off the bike. They are way better than vans or any other skate shoe, both on and off the bike.
Old 07-06-13, 11:00 AM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
I ride in Pumas. When it's cooler outside I ride in Dr Martens. I've ridden in flip-flops before. It doesn't matter.
Old 07-06-13, 11:05 AM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Chuck Taylors. A million hipsters can't be wrong!
Old 07-06-13, 11:54 AM
kabex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chrome shoes. They even have SPD versions that look normal.
Old 07-06-13, 04:29 PM
gregjones

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like my SPD sandals. Can't remember what brand they are, probably doesn't make a lot of difference. They are super in July in Georgia.
Old 07-06-13, 04:57 PM
RGNY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
usually SPD here, but with platforms or clips it's PF Flyer Cousy lace-ups or Vans slip-ons.
Old 07-06-13, 08:57 PM
Bikeforumuser0017
Goofy Goober

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
the 3 most common shoes for riding fixed (with toe straps) are vans authentics, adidas sambas, and onitsuka tigers. Then there are the shoes deigned for toe straps which are made by chrome, cadence, and a few others. They have a stiff plastic shank in the sole for better power transfer. I guess they would be good for making a Macaframa video, but they will be uncomfortable compared to the other shoes because of the shank.

I wouldn't buy the casual shoes with the spd sole because the sole will eventually wear away and *click* *click* *click* every time you walk. Spd pedals are great though; if it were me buying shoes for them though, I would get MTB shoes with rubber soles.