Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Uh oh...

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Uh oh...

Old 03-04-05, 09:36 AM
ivan_yulaev

Bikes: See sig.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Uh oh...

Looks like the cagers will be unhappy, again...

https://64.236.16.241/2005/03/04/news...ex.htm?cnn=yes
Old 03-04-05, 09:42 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
It's OK all you have to do is ride in a VC manner and negotiate with them... their anger will mean nothing to you... even if they have to wait on alternating days in long lines.

Don't worry... be happy...
Old 03-04-05, 09:54 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Report says pump prices could shoot up by about 25 cents a gallon in coming days to new record.
With warmer weather (Spring) on the way, maybe we'll see more bike commuters on the road.
Or maybe we'll see new, never-bike-commuted-before idiots, with a commute of a mile or two and whose only reason for commuting is the price of gasoline.
Once the prices go back down (if they do) they'll be back in their cars/trucks/vans/SUVs.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 03-04-05, 10:16 AM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
With warmer weather (Spring) on the way, maybe we'll see more bike commuters on the road.
Or maybe we'll see new, never-bike-commuted-before idiots, with a commute of a mile or two and whose only reason for commuting is the price of gasoline.
Once the prices go back down (if they do) they'll be back in their cars/trucks/vans/SUVs.
I doubt we'll see new commuter because the price is still cheap. People will simply spend less on other things like clothing and entertainment before they give up their cars.
Old 03-04-05, 10:40 AM
naisme
Friend of Jimmy K

Bikes: A lot: Raliegh road bike, 3 fixed gears, 2 single speeds, 3 Cannondales, a couple of Schwinns

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
but that could only improve things for us, as they would be even more aware of what it is like to commute when they get back in their SUVs, etc.
Old 03-04-05, 11:41 AM
kb0tnv

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by naisme
but that could only improve things for us, as they would be even more aware of what it is like to commute when they get back in their SUVs, etc.
I think there would be reports of people having heart attacks....since they have been driving for so long and can't take the excercise. ;0) Seriously I would like more commuters out there...(safety in numbers) I am looking forward to Spring too. I agree with others that people will grip about gas taxes and just cut back on that six pack of beer or something else. Remember that this is a Credit Card nation.... so nothing is really out of reach for the general masses. Some just chose to pay the high interest rate out of ignorance... and wonder why they work 2 or three jobs and never get anywhere. I knew that when my wife got out of the work world that it would take an income to pay for each car. So we settled on one car and I bike to work whenver I can. She can get me if I can't or take me to work. Remember that in life there are trade offs if you don't want to get in over your head financially.

My favorite phrase is: "I paid the exact price for my item (food whatever...). I didn't drive... I rode my bike "

Peace,
Old 03-04-05, 01:07 PM
ofofhy
Chronic Tai Shan

Bikes: Pake Single Speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
I doubt we'll see new commuter because the price is still cheap. People will simply spend less on other things like clothing and entertainment before they give up their cars.
Nonsense! That's what credit cards are for.
Old 03-07-05, 06:21 PM
spang621
beer drinker

Bikes: trek 950

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My favorite phrase is: "I paid the exact price for my item (food whatever...). I didn't drive... I rode my bike "

really? your favorite phrase?

i guess mine would be "i paid the exact price for my beer. i rode my bike and bought all the ingredients as food and made it myself so no alcohol tax.
Old 03-07-05, 06:31 PM
toyota200x

Bikes: Brisa b26d

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does this high gas price stuff make you guys nervous? The only time I drive is when I go home from college, but I still have to buy gas every once and awhile. I would like to know what those people are thinking that drive huge SUV's and trucks. Do they care? When are they going to start to caring? I like the look I get when I am commuting on my bike in the winter, its so funny to see people's reaction. Does anyone else get the look when commuting? I really like Europe because you hardly ever see a SUV and they seem to be a little more enviromental. Take it easy and peace out.
Old 03-07-05, 09:10 PM
vrkelley
Enjoy

Bikes: Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by naisme
hmmm...Really? I"m worried about bike traffic jams...The commute is slow enough as it is.

Last edited by vrkelley; 03-07-05 at 09:24 PM.
Old 03-08-05, 05:45 AM
andygates
Just riding

Bikes: Cannondale Bad Boy / Mercian track / BOB trailer / Moulton recumbent project

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Or maybe we'll see new, never-bike-commuted-before idiots, with a commute of a mile or two and whose only reason for commuting is the price of gasoline."

Welcome them. Be friendly. Chat at the lights and at bike racks. Seduce them to the light side.
Old 03-08-05, 05:55 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by andygates
"Or maybe we'll see new, never-bike-commuted-before idiots, with a commute of a mile or two and whose only reason for commuting is the price of gasoline."

Welcome them. Be friendly. Chat at the lights and at bike racks. Seduce them to the light side.
I could be very cynical and say:

Yes.... after they pull out in front of you without looking, weave from side to side as you try to pass, try to overtake you on the inside because you've taken the lane and have left a gap, and if you can catch them after they run the red lights, and if they haven't abused you for taking them to task...

But I am a bit mellow tonight, so all I can say is: Nice dream, nice desire. Where's the training going to come from to make these people reasonably competent cyclists?