Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Happy Bike To Work Day

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Happy Bike To Work Day

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-11, 07:48 AM
FunkyStickman
On a Mission from God

Bikes: '10 Surly LHT, Rat-rod Klunker, '82 Peugeot PH12 Centennial

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I didn't see a single other bike this morning. Kinda bummed about that.
Old 05-20-11, 08:01 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
I celebrated Bike to Work day by taking the day off and driving our car around to do errands, but today it's back to the bike.

Old 05-20-11, 08:28 AM
wisaunders

Bikes: 2013 Carve with Rigid Salsa Fargo & 2005 Allez

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I actuyally got my wife to ride to work today! You wouldn;t beleive all the crap she packed into that pannier! My favorite was the extra set of riding clothes because it would be "gross" to put on the same clothes on for the ride home. ha!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
a.jpg (101.3 KB, 37 views)
Old 05-20-11, 08:42 AM
Chris_in_Miami
missing in action

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 29 Posts
Didn't see any other commuters today, but that's nothing new. Also no words about BTWD in the local fish wrappers either, so I assume the lack of publicity impacted the participation.
Old 05-20-11, 08:48 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
BTWD was a bust here. I worked at home for a while so I could time my commute with the BTWD events downtown, which adds another 5 miles each way to my commute. By the time I was getting ready to roll, the radar showed a line of showers approaching downtown from the west (even though the forecasts had predicted almost zero chance of rain). I figured the showers would be past by the time I rode 15 miles downtown. Not. I got hit by heavy downpours right as I approached my office at the 9 mile point, so I waited out the rain there for about 15 minutes. However, by the time I got there, the "big" BTWD events were over. There was no schwag, no coffee, no donuts, nothing. Apparently the entire event consisted of some politicians talking in the rain for a few minutes. I saw perhaps 10 other bike commuters downtown, but not a single one on my ride down there -- which is understandable given the weather.

They should rename the event Bike to Work in the Rain Day here because it rains every year, no matter how dry the weather has been or how optimistic the forecast is. This shows problem with tying outdoor events to a single day. Although there is also Bike to Work Week, it seems like any related events are always planned for a single BTWD, which is inevitably a flop around here. Oh well, the upside is that I'll rack up a 32-mile commute on a day I might have otherwise chosen to drive.
Old 05-20-11, 08:52 AM
Titmawz

Bikes: Raleigh Record Ace, Windsor The Hour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Enjoy ! Haha I have the day off but right after breakfast I am heading out to downtown and the beack to look for a part time job =)
Old 05-20-11, 09:36 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Today's the day for us. I kind of regret not stopping at the trailhead for some fellowship or whatever but man I gotta get to work... I did take some extra slacker time at home w/ my wife and kids so at least it was not all go-go-go this morning. Also riding out for lunch w/ some coworkers.
Old 05-20-11, 09:51 AM
crazyfishor

Bikes: 2007 Trek 7.3FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wisaunders
I actuyally got my wife to ride to work today! You wouldn;t beleive all the crap she packed into that pannier! My favorite was the extra set of riding clothes because it would be "gross" to put on the same clothes on for the ride home. ha!

Wow, your wife can ride vertically up walls! That is amazing!
Old 05-20-11, 11:00 AM
kegoguinness
These go to eleven

Bikes: BF Pocket Crusoe; B Tikit; dust-gathering MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Always fun in DC area. The pit stops make for a nice social venue plus free T-shirt and free bananas! I went to a quieter pitstop this time and had a very enjoyable time. I have been going to the Bethesda one (where CCT crosses downtown, for those in the area) but it gets to be a zoo--contest giveaways announced over P.A's, crowded (though that's a GOOD thing for cycle commuting!), etc. Have fun folks!
Old 05-20-11, 11:31 AM
bhop

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Jamis Sputnik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today's the day after btwd, I saw way more bikes today. Could be because it's friday though.
Old 05-20-11, 12:46 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
I drove because I suck. The forecast calls for t-storms but the front is moving through and I think will be long gone by the ride home. Did I mention that I suck?

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 05-20-11, 01:16 PM
Blues Frog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And BTW days are different than what other workweek of the year? I haven't taken a riding day off in a long time. I have a few converts but they usually don't ride all year. So I look at the weather, laugh, then get on the bike and ride. After a few years of cycling I feel I have sinned to have ridden in a cage. I somehow feel dirty. Saved a bunch of money without gieco though. And some day I will have to renew the license on my pickup. Later all you in commuterland. Blues Frog
Old 05-20-11, 01:23 PM
truman
It's true, man.

Bikes: Cannondale T1000, Inbred SS 29er, Supercaliber 29er, Crescent Mark XX, Burley Rumba Tandem

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cooking14
does New Braunfels ,Tx have a bike -to- work day?
It needs a Bike to Wurst day... om nom nom...
Old 05-20-11, 02:23 PM
sggoodri

Bikes: 1983 Trek 500, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2023 Litespeed Watia

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I was considering riding to Raleigh and back for their BTWD event, but home and work obligations came up that conflicted with that schedule. I did ride to work, starting in a light rain, and was the only cyclists I saw.
Old 05-20-11, 05:59 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kegoguinness
Always fun in DC area. The pit stops make for a nice social venue plus free T-shirt and free bananas! I went to a quieter pitstop this time and had a very enjoyable time. I have been going to the Bethesda one (where CCT crosses downtown, for those in the area) but it gets to be a zoo--contest giveaways announced over P.A's, crowded (though that's a GOOD thing for cycle commuting!), etc. Have fun folks!

I missed it this year kind of on purpose because my knee's been troubling me and I can't keep up with other riders. A couple years ago I was put in difficulty trying to hang with a fast group that (intentionally?) took a hilly route into town.

I wanted to go to the pit stop for the free bananas, coffee and muffins but I didn't get out of the house on time. By the time I got to Freedom Plaza (elevenish), these were the only bikes there.

Around lunch time though I saw these riders on Pennsylvania Avenue. Most wore T shirts that said "Bike to Work Day" on them and the Great Seal of the United States. I don't know who they were or why they're 'riding to work' in the middle of the day, but I got some pictures.

I stopped on the bike path after work to take some pictures of bike commuters rolling home on their special day.

Old 05-20-11, 06:45 PM
Franky

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
good post

Last edited by Franky; 05-20-11 at 06:50 PM.
Old 05-20-11, 06:47 PM
Franky

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah, maintence always carries a big stick.

but maintenance complained about my bike being in the front foyer, so I have to lock it in the backyard. Nice to know everyone is so supportive

Old 05-20-11, 06:52 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
About 25 of us rode in this morning as a group from my side of town to join lots and lots of others at The Circle downtown. Biggest crowd I've ever seen for BTWD in Indy.
Old 05-20-11, 08:25 PM
BrooklyntoNYC
Ridin for the sweat

Bikes: Giordano Libero

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I commuted on monday, thursday and today, not bad today.
Old 05-21-11, 12:03 AM
sharrn

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I've been off the bike this whole week due to a stretched hamstring, but I rode in today, Albeit slower than usual. I saw lot's of people cycling presumably home from work. One officer asked me if I was looking for the pitstop as for some reason the road on my usual route was closed.

Old 05-21-11, 01:46 AM
Max C.

Bikes: Schwinn OR2 Hybrid Bike 28" - Schwinn LeTour II 27"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LA Metro celebrated BTWD by handing out free patch kits and letting anyone with a bike or helmet free rides on their busses, subways, & trains. There were also pit stops but none were on my way so I didn't get any other schwag or food. It was very nice of them to be so supportive. Of course, on the way home, some over adrenalized pickup driver decided celebrate BTWD by honking at me for riding in the right lane faster than the cars in the left lane were moving... (in a 30MPH zone near a police station mind you).
Old 05-21-11, 06:44 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
After the ride to work and then out to lunch w/ coworkers (big hill!) they closed the office early because it was warm and sunny (rare). So I rode home, got the kids, and rode back w/ them to Chinese Buffet across from where my wife works, and we met for dinner then all rode home. 35 miles for me.
Old 05-21-11, 06:47 AM
cyclist5
Will ride anywhere

Bikes: 2009 Trek XO-1, 2006 Trek 7000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had my first crash and full-on head injury. Still, not a terrible day at the E.R
Old 05-21-11, 07:15 AM
Grim

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Actually saw another rider on my way in. Lady riding the sidewalk but its a dangerous section of road so I really dont blame her. She was new to it and had the seat way too low and the bike may have been too small. I was running late for work and she was on the other side of the divided 4 lane (GA has a lot of areas with sidewalks on only one side if there is one at all) otherwise I would have stopped and talked for a minute and recommended a seat adjustment (god her knees had to be screaming).
Old 05-21-11, 08:54 AM
midorix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike to work day in San Diego was yesterday, 20th. Morning ride was lot of fun, stopping at pit stops getting Starbucks coffee (free), T-shirts (free) and various Clif bars (free) (you can see I get happy with little things that costs nothing). Got to chat with some really nice people, sharing commute miles, etc. Ride home was bit tough since 72 miles round trip after all day at work is not something I'm used to. Conked out immediately after I got home. At least I built on my reputation at work as the "crazy bicycle rider".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.