Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

OMG, KHatfull's gonna be buying some stuff....

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-10, 10:53 PM
khatfull
FBoD Member at Large

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Who knew that wet/dry sandpaper comes in up to 1,000,000 grit?!?!!

Got this from eBay, guess I need to shine up the PayPal balance. Some of this might get me the satin finish I'm trying to get too.

Love new toys....even if it's sandpaper
Old 03-31-10, 12:23 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 795 Posts
is this for Micromesh products? they make very good stuff, and I use it sometimes, but I don't think there's exactly precise industry standards governing grit designation, especially when you enter the twilight zone of particle size. I think an abrasive that's "one million" ceases to abrade anything, it would be finer than the slickest cast-coated polished paper, if you could even measure that far.
Old 03-31-10, 12:27 AM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
Haha. I cannot believe how much trouble I had finding fine sandpaper locally. I tried 4 different places before I found any, even then all they had was 600 grit and 1500 grit. Nothing higher and nothing in between.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 03-31-10, 05:56 AM
khatfull
FBoD Member at Large

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
is this for Micromesh products? they make very good stuff, and I use it sometimes, but I don't think there's exactly precise industry standards governing grit designation, especially when you enter the twilight zone of particle size. I think an abrasive that's "one million" ceases to abrade anything, it would be finer than the slickest cast-coated polished paper, if you could even measure that far.
Oh, I'm quite sure of that...I'd like to try up to the, say, 5000 or so which would be approximately half the size of the 2000 I have right now. This is just an eBay seller...I was just shocked there were evidently designations that high.

Originally Posted by mkeller234
Haha. I cannot believe how much trouble I had finding fine sandpaper locally. I tried 4 different places before I found any, even then all they had was 600 grit and 1500 grit. Nothing higher and nothing in between.
Just search on eBay, lots of paper there, really good prices too.
Old 03-31-10, 06:06 AM
20grit
Curmudgeon in Training

Bikes: 1974 Gazelle Champion Mondial, 2010 Cannondale Trail SL, 1988 Peugeot Nice, 1992ish Stumpjumper Comp,1990's Schwinn Moab

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Auto Stores typically have up to 2000 grit, which is the finest i've ever used on a guitar finish. Buffing compound after that. I can't imagine the need for anything more fine.
It's a shame they only go to 36 grit. If i could find a pack of 20 grit sandpaper I'd buy it just for the novelty of it.
Old 03-31-10, 07:07 AM
khatfull
FBoD Member at Large

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 20grit
Auto Stores typically have up to 2000 grit, which is the finest i've ever used on a guitar finish. Buffing compound after that. I can't imagine the need for anything more fine.
It's a shame they only go to 36 grit. If i could find a pack of 20 grit sandpaper I'd buy it just for the novelty of it.
Yeah, I don't know, I'd try just to try...5000 grit just sounds interesting.
Old 03-31-10, 09:11 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,411 Times in 911 Posts
I heard your plan covers

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 03-31-10 at 09:22 AM.
Old 03-31-10, 09:46 AM
khatfull
FBoD Member at Large

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Oooh...and lookie at the REALLY FUN stuff you find when perusing eBay:

https://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-GRAVIT...item51917bb1b7

MUWHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
Old 03-31-10, 10:16 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 795 Posts
I actually have one of those, a Harbor Freight Chinese Cr*p product...have yet to use it though. The steel nozzles will wear out quick, pros have ceramic nozzles on their blast tools which last much longer. I'd like to try loading it with soda media for outdoor spot blasting and shooting the media out on the ground (which is what this is designed to do) since that's a more eco-friendly media.
Old 03-31-10, 10:20 AM
khatfull
FBoD Member at Large

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
I actually have one of those, a Harbor Freight Chinese Cr*p product...have yet to use it though. The steel nozzles will wear out quick, pros have ceramic nozzles on their blast tools which last much longer. I'd like to try loading it with soda media for outdoor spot blasting and shooting the media out on the ground (which is what this is designed to do) since that's a more eco-friendly media.
Oh, I wouldn't expect that tool to last for years or anything, but it would be fun to play with and see what kind of finishes one could get on alloy parts with some organic media. Figure could shoot it in a big box or something, just to contain the media a bit.