Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Clinics and upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-15, 08:52 AM
nokia8860

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Clinics and upgrades

I'm a bit confused about how clinics apply to your upgrade eligibility.

Just starting out, clinics would help me tremendously but in readying the rule book it looks like if I completed a clinc it would count as 3 races! My fear is that if I take enough of these clinics I would automatically be bumped to the next category early on and I would be at a severe disadvantage on upcoming races.

I've only just started and it was hard enough just trying to hang on. I can't imagine how much more difficult it would be at the next category and want to make sure I don't automatically screw myself by not understanding how clinics count.
Old 01-19-15, 09:06 AM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
Unless someone is actively looking at your results and keeping track of your races (other than yourself) I wouldn't worry about automatically being upgraded. Get your races in and just use the clinics as more experience.

I wish there were more clinics around here. And by more, I mean any
Old 01-19-15, 09:30 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by nokia8860

Just starting out, clinics would help me tremendously but in readying the rule book it looks like if I completed a clinc it would count as 3 races! My fear is that if I take enough of these clinics I would automatically be bumped to the next category early on and I would be at a severe disadvantage on upcoming races.

I've only just started and it was hard enough just trying to hang on. I can't imagine how much more difficult it would be at the next category and want to make sure I don't automatically screw myself by not understanding how clinics count.
The level between 4 and 5 isn't that great, if you are pack fodder as a 5 you'll be pack fodder as a 4.
Old 01-19-15, 09:52 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

nobody is looking at your results in norcal unless you win enough 5s races to make guys complain to someone. and since they are upgrading out after their 10 races, no one is doing that either.
Old 01-19-15, 09:58 AM
nokia8860

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks everyone for your input. So it looks like it does count but if I don't ask to be upgraded I can stay the course.

This works out great for me.

Again, thanks everyone!
Old 01-19-15, 11:27 AM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not all clinics count towards upgrades. Just do any clinics you can, do your ten races, and upgrade.
Old 01-19-15, 02:40 PM
Fingolfin

Bikes: Dover (TCR Adv 1)

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...My fear is that if I take enough of these clinics I would automatically be bumped to the next category early on and I would be at a severe disadvantage on upcoming races...
The rule book states that you can get a maximum of 5 points/starts from attending clinics (1E2c). So you shouldn't be allowed to just do three clinics and a single race to upgrade to Cat 4. The rule isn't 100% clear on the limit for the 4->3 upgrade (no max, 3 points, or 5 points); however, I can't imagine anyone receiving a 4->3 mandatory due to any number of clinic points.

Also there is no mandatory upgrade out of Cat 5, but once you upgrade you can never request a downgrade back to Cat 5. In theory you can race and win in Cat 5 your whole life, but I don't know why someone would do so.
Old 01-19-15, 06:05 PM
nokia8860

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Can you tell I'm really new to this?

Ended up being worried about nothing. Even the organizer of the clinic assured me I'd be good to go.

Thanks again everyone for your help!
Old 02-01-15, 03:47 PM
cyclinganomaly

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL, Trek Boone 7 Disc, Trek Superfly 6, and (waiting to be born) Trek Madone 9

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Wylde06

I wish there were more clinics around here. And by more, I mean any
Don't feel bad, there isn't any around here either. To make it worse there doesn't seem to be anyone around here that wants to help anyone new get into racing.
Old 02-02-15, 03:48 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Northeast (RI) USAC recognized clinic

https://www.bikereg.com/2015-nemca-c...-skills-clinic