Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Place to stay in Chicago

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Place to stay in Chicago

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-18, 06:22 PM
jargo432

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Ogre, Steamroller

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Place to stay in Chicago

My wife and i will be biking in chicago in July and are looking for a place to stay. We will be arriving by Amtrack and want to visit the city for a few days. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank You
Old 03-30-18, 06:49 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
You are going to have to get a whole lot more specific than that. For one Chicago is an enormous city. And there are lots of options on places to stay. From warmshowers host to hostels to extremely expensive hotel rooms.
Old 03-30-18, 06:51 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

BTW Except for maybe down by the lake, Chicago isn't exactly a great place to bike. Streets are WAY too congested with car traffic.
Old 03-30-18, 07:13 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
Leave your bikes behind for a day downtown.

The Divvy bikeshare day pass ($15 for unlimited rides within 24 hours) is great for exploring the downtown area and the waterfront parks. I rode around the historic skyscraper district on a sunny,warm Saturday, and the traffic wasn't heavy. (Weekdays are likely to be more congested.) I think it's because parking downtown is so expensive and annoying.

It's great, there's bike stations every few blocks, so you can explore and drop off the bike whenever you see something interesting. Then grab another bike when you want to move on. The phone app will map nearby stations.

The bikeshare map is amazing! 580 stations. Zoom in!

Last edited by rm -rf; 03-30-18 at 07:23 AM.
Old 03-30-18, 07:33 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18443 Post(s)
Liked 15,655 Times in 7,364 Posts
Duh.

https://www.fourseasons.com/chicago/
Old 03-30-18, 01:13 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
IYHA Chicago https://www.hihostels.com/search/hos...A&d=us-chicago

As a Solo Touring rider I liked the social meeting of others a Hostel provides.. I used them a lot in Ireland and Scotland, on my last tour..

You Married and traveling with your Wife the private Hotel Room may be fine..

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-31-18 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-30-18, 05:51 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by indyfabz

Darn they are full up the night I will be in Chicago. $1,500 a night is a heck of a bargain.

Old 03-30-18, 09:27 PM
WMcCready

Bikes: Surly-LHT,KM, Schwinn World,Tempo,High Sierra,Trek820,Raleigh Sports

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Consider staying at a hotel or motel in the West Loop, near Union Station (Amtrak terminus) preferably one where you could take bike in Room or hotel baggage room, for safe keeping, do Day rides from there, Loop, lakefront bike trail, or North side. DIVY bike may be worthwhile, if only to protect you bikes from theft, ( we are Second City for that as well) I think DIVY requires a year fee of $ 75 or more. Another plan may be to just come, cab to WorkingBikes.org on 24 th. & Western pick up two suitable used bikes, & locks, do your riding then donate them back when leaving. Some city bike shops are drop off points for WorkingBikes. May want to get some support from BF members if your in need while here.
Old 03-30-18, 11:35 PM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
I'd recommend staying anywhere but Chicago! But as mentioned, biking in Chicago isn't great. And the one Terrible experience I've had with Amtrak was into Chicago. I've never dealt with staff in a customer service position who were either uninterested in or rude to customers as if it were a standard. They then became actually hostile toward us when the train was stuck on the tracks for 10 hours right outside of the city and they wouldn't open up the food car for anyone to eat. There were literally children crying of hunger and people sharing food. The staff was all in the front car chatting, having coffee, and eating... I honestly can't imagine a worse means of transportation into Chicago than Amtrak. While you're there, I'd look into warm showers hosts. If you haven't heard of that, it's like couch surfing for bike tourists.
Old 03-31-18, 07:32 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18443 Post(s)
Liked 15,655 Times in 7,364 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
Darn they are full up the night I will be in Chicago. $1,500 a night is a heck of a bargain.

Next time you are in the Missoula area consider this place:

https://www.theranchatrockcreek.com/...715.1522502756

I know a guy whose brother is the sous chef there. Accommodations will set you back close to $2K/night minimum, although it is all-inclusive. I have toured near the place twice. Beautiful area.
Old 03-31-18, 11:57 AM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1183 Post(s)
Liked 834 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Next time you are in the Missoula area consider this place:

https://www.theranchatrockcreek.com/...715.1522502756

I know a guy whose brother is the sous chef there. Accommodations will set you back close to $2K/night minimum, although it is all-inclusive. I have toured near the place twice. Beautiful area.
And I thought $350 a night in Green Bay when the Packers were playing at home game was high.

We rode through Chicago once and around Chicago another time while killing some time before catching our train home. It is not too bad if you are used to big city riding. However, the places that are easy to ride may not get you to the most interesting parts of the city. Just based on those two short visits, Id stay somewhere near the Lake Michigan. There is a good trial (about 20 miles long) along the lake, and is easy access to downtown.

The Lake front trail is nice—unless the Airshow is taking place over the Lake.

There are some pretty good routes through Chicago.

There are some pretty nice bike lanes in the down town area.

Last edited by Doug64; 04-01-18 at 09:37 AM.
Old 03-31-18, 02:41 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by Doug64
And I thought $350 a night in Green Bay when the Packers were playing at home game.

We rode through Chicago once and around Chicago another time while killing some time before catching our train home. It is not too bad if you are used to big city riding. However, the places that are easy to ride may not get you to the most interesting parts of the city. Just based on those two short visits, Id stay somewhere near the Lake Michigan. There is a good trial (about 20 miles long) along the lake, and is easy access to downtown.

The Lake front trail is nice—unless the Airshow is taking place over the Lake.

There are some pretty good routes through Chicago.

There are some pretty nice bike lanes in the down town area.

Last time I was there, I did not have my bike. I thought the streets were pretty darn busy in that area.

This year I will have my bike. I was not impressed with their security at AmTrak, I am reluctant to leave my bike. I figure I will take a ride down to the lake. I have ridden in a number of large cities before and they don't phase me much. My concern is finding a place to eat while I can keep an eye on my bike. I am hoping there will be a place down by the lake where I can do that.

Last edited by spinnaker; 03-31-18 at 03:17 PM.
Old 03-31-18, 03:43 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I lived in Chicago most of my life. I now visit from downstate. I use the Whitehall on Delaware: https://www.google.com/search?q=hote...81166615280263

It's an affordable older hotel with an ideal location.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 04-01-18, 11:12 AM
Doug64

Last time I was there, I did not have my bike. I thought the streets were pretty darn busy in that area.

This year I will have my bike. I was not impressed with their security at AmTrak, I am reluctant to leave my bike. I figure I will take a ride down to the lake. I have ridden in a number of large cities before and they don't phase me much. My concern is finding a place to eat while I can keep an eye on my bike. I am hoping there will be a place down by the lake where I can do that.
That's a good point. When we were on our micro-tour of the city while waiting for our train we stopped at a place to each lunch. My wife went into a busy deli to scout it out while I locked up the bikes. My usual method for locking up two loaded touring bikes is to lock them through the frame and the wheels with a cable lock. hard to roll away and difficult to lift both bikes. A woman who was taking a break outside he office building came over to talk. She told me our bikes were not secure the way I had them locked. As she was telling me this, two guys walking by heard the conversation, and said to me, " you better listen to the lady." She offered to watch our bikes while we went into the deli to order lunch. There was outside seating so we parked the bikes near our table

Sometimes it pays to pay attention to the local. We stopped at this diner in Cleveland, locked up the bikes and went inside for lunch. The waitress saw us come in and came over to tell us to bring our bikes inside or "they will probably not be there when you go out".

Last edited by Doug64; 04-01-18 at 11:25 AM.
Old 04-01-18, 11:23 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

That's a good point. When we were on our micro-tour of the city while waiting for our train we stopped at a place to each lunch. My wife went into a busy deli to scout it out while I locked up the bikes. My usual method for locking up two loaded touring bikes is to lock them through the frame and the wheels with a cable lock. hard to roll away and difficult to lift both bikes. A woman who was taking a break outside he office building came over to talk. She told me our bikes were not secure the way I had them locked. As she was telling me this, two guys walking by heard the conversation, and said to me, " you better listen to the lady." She offered to watch our bikes while we went into the deli to order lunch. There was outside seating so we parked the bikes near our table

One of my concerns about touring alone is what to do with my bike in a big city. I will be in at least two. Sacramento and Chicago. Followed by Eugene and Salem for a couple of smaller ones. Doubt I will be going into the city in Portland.

But it looks like solo touring is in my future so either don't go or just deal. You are a lucky man to have a built in touring partner.
Old 04-01-18, 11:28 AM
Doug64

One of my concerns about touring alone is what to do with my bike in a big city. I will be in at least two. Sacramento and Chicago. Followed by Eugene and Salem for a couple of smaller ones. Doubt I will be going into the city in Portland.

But it looks like solo touring is in my future so either don't go or just deal. You are a lucky man to have a built in touring partner.
I am lucky!!

You also need to be cautious in Eugene, it is almost as bad as Portland for bike thefts.

On another topic: I heard last week that Portland Metro is starting bike friendly bus service in the Columbia Gorge from Portland to Hood River. I believe they said it would start in May. I don't know if you have totally ruled out the Gorge.

Last edited by Doug64; 04-01-18 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-01-18, 11:31 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

I am lucky!!

You also need to be cautious in Eugene, it is almost as bad as Portland for bike thefts.

Figured put thanks for the tip.

Hey those shots of you and the wife down by the lake in Chicago. Was that your train trip? If so why not leave the bags at Union Station?

And what on earth were you doing in Cleveland?
Old 04-01-18, 02:58 PM
Doug64

Figured put thanks for the tip.

Hey those shots of you and the wife down by the lake in Chicago. Was that your train trip? If so why not leave the bags at Union Station?

And what on earth were you doing in Cleveland?
I was not aware that stowing the bags was an option. I'll try to check from now on, instead of assuming that leaving the bags at the station is not an option.

We were riding across the U.S. on Highway 20. Newport, OR to Boston, MA.
Old 04-01-18, 05:07 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

I was not aware that stowing the bags was an option. I'll try to check from now on, instead of assuming that leaving the bags at the station is not an option.

We were riding across the U.S. on Highway 20. Newport, OR to Boston, MA.

Like I mentioned above. You might not want them to store anything expensive. But I guess a bunch of dirty clothes will be OK. FYI it is a part of the service when you have a roomette. I assume you got a room or roomette? Not sure what they have for people in coach.
Old 04-01-18, 08:37 PM
fixedweasel

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speed
I'd recommend staying anywhere but Chicago! But as mentioned, biking in Chicago isn't great.

Ah........yeah..........not so much. I've lived here all my life, biked through this whole city and bike it all year round. Chicago is an absolutely wonderful city that has so much to offer. Most stuff(s) folks want to see is downtown anywhere off of Michigan Ave. The lakefront trail is approx. a 30 mile loop and the views are worth every pedal stroke. The Art Institute, Museums, nice restaurants, lakefront are all there plus we have a wonderful theatre district as well as Second City/Blue Man/etc. Lock your bikes proper as you should anywhere. Enjoy, well worth.
Old 04-02-18, 05:02 AM
jargo432

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Ogre, Steamroller

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you,

Originally Posted by fixedweasel
Ah........yeah..........not so much. I've lived here all my life, biked through this whole city and bike it all year round. Chicago is an absolutely wonderful city that has so much to offer. Most stuff(s) folks want to see is downtown anywhere off of Michigan Ave. The lakefront trail is approx. a 30 mile loop and the views are worth every pedal stroke. The Art Institute, Museums, nice restaurants, lakefront are all there plus we have a wonderful theatre district as well as Second City/Blue Man/etc. Lock your bikes proper as you should anywhere. Enjoy, well worth.
We found a bike friendly hotel downtown for 165 a night. Can't wait to visit your city. We are used to traffic so no worries. (It can't be worse than downtown Dallas)
Old 04-02-18, 06:34 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by fixedweasel
The lakefront trail is approx. a 30 mile loop and the views are worth every pedal stroke.
How can it be a lake front loop at only 30 miles? Lake Superior has nearly 1,800 miles of shore line.
Old 04-03-18, 12:24 PM
gorob23

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife and I stayed here on trip last year ... we are not kids and it was fine ..

24 East Congress Parkway
Chicago, Illinois 60605
Call 1 (312) 360-0300
Chicago@hiusa.org
Hostel Menu
good luck

Rob
Old 04-06-18, 11:51 AM
fixedweasel

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
How can it be a lake front loop at only 30 miles? Lake Superior has nearly 1,800 miles of shore line.
Ha! Yes, quite so, you are indeed correct. But for those who ride in Chicago, the Lakefront Path defines it, so to speak. It is a path just east of Lakeshore Drive that is paved. It is continuous without interruption. It runs approximately 15-16 miles and the "loop" is really defined by out and back. If you ever do come to Chicago in May, a nice ride is Bike the Drive where they shut down Lake Shore Drive for most of the morning and tens of thousands of riders take over the Drive. Here's a link and some more info on our Lakefront............

https://www.bikethedrive.org/