Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Schwinn Collegiate for my daughter

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-18, 08:56 AM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts

my 18 year old wants to ride more but doesn't love the SS bike I built for her; she does love my wife's 1979 Schwinn Varsity.

I found this Collegiate on CL for $60. Seems like a fair price. Close up pics reveal new tires. Thinking of offering $40. Thoughts?
Old 08-15-18, 09:31 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
Its OK, but you can do much better looking at a Japanese Mixte or step thru bike. All ladies models are hard to sell, slow movers, so once they've sat unsold, available at a low price. Give your daughter a break and find something 10 or 15 pounds lighter. Aluminum alloy cranks and rims at a minimum. Think Centurion, Univega or even a Schwinn "World" bike. A made in Japan sticker on a late 70's-mid 80's bike means bang for bucks. If you want to stay with the old Schwinn Ashtabula crank bikes, look for a ladies Super Sport. At least they had chrome moly frames, alloy wheels that stop when wet and were a bit lighter. Don
Old 08-15-18, 10:07 AM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
I recently saw a Varsity for $69 in a Goodwill where I was dropping off some stuff. I thought that was pretty outrageous for the condition, they didn't even bother to clean it. $18-$20 is about my maximum for anything Ashtabula, if I was even looking.
Old 08-15-18, 10:25 AM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Originally Posted by ollo_ollo
Its OK, but you can do much better looking at a Japanese Mixte or step thru bike. All ladies models are hard to sell, slow movers, so once they've sat unsold, available at a low price. Give your daughter a break and find something 10 or 15 pounds lighter. Aluminum alloy cranks and rims at a minimum. Think Centurion, Univega or even a Schwinn "World" bike. A made in Japan sticker on a late 70's-mid 80's bike means bang for bucks. If you want to stay with the old Schwinn Ashtabula crank bikes, look for a ladies Super Sport. At least they had chrome moly frames, alloy wheels that stop when wet and were a bit lighter. Don
I like where your head is at (I LOVE my Nishiki and would give it to her if it were her size, set up as an SS family fun bike, $10 purchase, virtually all parts swapped out virtually with CX tires) - there are a few Nishiki/Miyata mixtes for sale in my area - I think the same guy has them all and they're listed for $150 which is over my budget for a kid I am not sure is serious about getting in the saddle.

That said, there are a few Bridgestone/DB/GT entry-level step through MTBs which might be cool for her after swapping out tires and putting the cruiser bars on she likes.....

Last edited by davei1980; 08-15-18 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-15-18, 10:32 AM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Originally Posted by FBOATSB
I recently saw a Varsity for $69 in a Goodwill where I was dropping off some stuff. I thought that was pretty outrageous for the condition, they didn't even bother to clean it. $18-$20 is about my maximum for anything Ashtabula, if I was even looking.
K good to know -

I don't mind spending the $ as long as it's something I can re-coop when she's done.

Wasn't sure if these were "collectible" I know nothing about old Schwinns. She likes it because it's green and is a step through. See my signature below V
Old 08-15-18, 10:44 AM
michael k

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by davei1980
She likes it because it's green and is a step through. V
This!!!

If it fits and has no damage,why not?
Ps. my daughter love the color too.
Old 08-15-18, 02:02 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
+1 with @Ollo Ollo I know SpokeVegas is fairly flat but you'd shave about 20 lbs of bike weight with a Japanese mixte over the Sherman tank of a Collegiate, which sounds odd coming from me as I could usually care less about weight.

I built up a Peugeot split tube mixte for my Daughter and got lots of input from her on: saddle, bars, cable housing (color) and tires she was pleased with the end result. Good luck and have fun with the Daughter bike project. I see one in Wenatchee but that is a bit of a haul https://wenatchee.craigslist.org/bik...663378594.html

IMG_2012 by Ryan Surface, on Flickr

Last edited by ryansu; 08-15-18 at 02:11 PM.
Old 08-15-18, 02:25 PM
michael k

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ryansu
+1 with @Ollo Ollo I know SpokeVegas is fairly flat but you'd shave about 20 lbs of bike weight with a Japanese mixte over the Sherman tank of a Collegiate,
lol Fair enough. I once purchased a Schwinn Varsity Jr. (24" wheels) as a project. They charged by the pound and it weighed in at 37 1/2 lbs.
Old 08-15-18, 03:18 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

+1 with @Ollo Ollo I know SpokeVegas is fairly flat but you'd shave about 20 lbs of bike weight with a Japanese mixte over the Sherman tank of a Collegiate, which sounds odd coming from me as I could usually care less about weight.

I built up a Peugeot split tube mixte for my Daughter and got lots of input from her on: saddle, bars, cable housing (color) and tires she was pleased with the end result. Good luck and have fun with the Daughter bike project. I see one in Wenatchee but that is a bit of a haul https://wenatchee.craigslist.org/bik...663378594.html

IMG_2012 by Ryan Surface, on Flickr
Sharp looking mixte she's got now! I like it....

... yes, Spokane is flat compared to Seattle but there are some steep hills, especially since our road borders the river, so the only way out of here is UP
Old 08-15-18, 03:31 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Sharp looking mixte she's got now! I like it....

... yes, Spokane is flat compared to Seattle but there are some steep hills, especially since our road borders the river, so the only way out of here is UP
Thanks, it was fun to build for her. I have a brother who lives in Spokane near the river not far from Upriver Dr, and N. Argonne, I was visiting last month and rode on the Centennial trail with him, fortunately I was spared steep hills
Old 08-15-18, 04:43 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Thanks, it was fun to build for her. I have a brother who lives in Spokane near the river not far from Upriver Dr, and N. Argonne, I was visiting last month and rode on the Centennial trail with him, fortunately I was spared steep hills
THAT'S EXACTLY THE DESCRIPTION OF WHERE I LIVE! I live on the north side of the river, just west of Argonne Road and just south of Upriver Drive.

I commute to downtown everyday on the Centennial Trail, and yes, it is flat since it follows the banks of the Spokane River. That's how I can get away with commuting on a Single Speed! It's really a commuting dream come true since I only have 1 major intersection to navigate in the 8 mile stretch between here and downtown.

I lived in Seattle for 1 year, I couldn't make it around the block on a single speed!
Old 08-15-18, 04:48 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Originally Posted by onyerleft
By modern standards, that bike is unsafe; the brakes are crap. Velo Orange sells long reach brakes (Gran Cru) that would be a big safety upgrade. But it would set you back a pretty penny, far more than the value of that POS mixte bike, so I doubt that you would actually spring for it.
Funny you mention brakes, because my daughter's existing single speed has a really nice Tektro long reach caliper on the front. I will part out the bike when she gets a new one; that caliper is going to replace the crappy single pivot caliper on my wife's 1979 Schwinn!

Which POS mixte are you talking about? You do realize my daughter is not entering any criterions or stage races anytime soon, don't you? Am I posting this in the correct forum?
Old 08-15-18, 06:37 PM
ollo_ollo

ryansu is wise getting his daughter involved. There are things involved we guys no naught of.

When she was in grade school, I gave my oldest grand daughter a kids 24" wheeled, drop bar mixte and she was burning all the little neighborhood boys with her speed, but a few years later she tells me "This bike is fast, but it's not in style anymore" She got dad to buy her a mountain bike and put streamers on the bar ends. Don
Old 08-16-18, 09:52 AM
ryansu

THAT'S EXACTLY THE DESCRIPTION OF WHERE I LIVE! I live on the north side of the river, just west of Argonne Road and just south of Upriver Drive.

I commute to downtown everyday on the Centennial Trail, and yes, it is flat since it follows the banks of the Spokane River. That's how I can get away with commuting on a Single Speed! It's really a commuting dream come true since I only have 1 major intersection to navigate in the 8 mile stretch between here and downtown.

I lived in Seattle for 1 year, I couldn't make it around the block on a single speed!
That is a very nice area. Yeah my brother likes to rub it in that he commutes by bike and has maybe one light to stop for, he did commute from Kirkland to downtown for years so he probably deserves the traffic break.. I drive from West Seattle to Redmond over the bridge everyday, sigh, its a 20 mile one way bike ride and that's not in the cards currently but its on my list for September. I did bike commute to a downtown job on a single speed and even made it up my one mile 6% grade hill but that was a few years and many pounds ago lol.
Old 08-16-18, 09:54 AM
ryansu

Originally Posted by ollo_ollo
ryansu is wise getting his daughter involved. There are things involved we guys no naught of.

When she was in grade school, I gave my oldest grand daughter a kids 24" wheeled, drop bar mixte and she was burning all the little neighborhood boys with her speed, but a few years later she tells me "This bike is fast, but it's not in style anymore" She got dad to buy her a mountain bike and put streamers on the bar ends. Don
I can be taught
Old 08-16-18, 10:25 AM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

That is a very nice area. Yeah my brother likes to rub it in that he commutes by bike and has maybe one light to stop for, he did commute from Kirkland to downtown for years so he probably deserves the traffic break.. I drive from West Seattle to Redmond over the bridge everyday, sigh, its a 20 mile one way bike ride and that's not in the cards currently but its on my list for September. I did bike commute to a downtown job on a single speed and even made it up my one mile 6% grade hill but that was a few years and many pounds ago lol.
West Seattle IS an amazing area though, you have Alki Beach right there.

I commuted from Bothell to Bellevue for 13 months so I feel your pain.

My folks lived in Rainier Beach in the 70s - dad worked at Paccar in Renton. That was a trip.

Based on your description of your bother's commute, I am SURE it's almost the same as mine. one big intersection before downtown. Unfortunately, not all of Spokane is that bike-friendly - he and I are just lucky
Old 08-16-18, 06:15 PM
ollo_ollo

I can be taught
So can I. You will appreciate this: In 1971, Boeing layoffs, 25% unemployment inour neighborhood. My oldest boy tells me he's decided to do a paper route. Earn some extra $$, he's got a bike already! It'll be easy.

I told him, based on my experience: "Not that easy, probably a long waiting list & usually you have to buy the good routes" No, he insists, all he needs do is mail in the application. OK, I'm thinking this will be a good lesson.

About a week later, a Times manager calls me saying he has a route for Jeremy.....Beach Drive! Both sides, North from Lincoln Park. No street route to learn and pretty much every house. He did have pages of delivery instructions (go in side garage door, put it on my workbench etc. etc.) Big tippers, holidays, he cleared more from tips than the route. He did end up walking the route with one of those 2 wheeled carts, so, a bit more work than he expected.

Last edited by ollo_ollo; 08-16-18 at 06:20 PM. Reason: fix dyslexic errors