Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is this a good deal?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Is this a good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-19, 09:30 AM
frogbiscuit

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Cannondale Catalyst, Diamond Back Extreme TG, Schwinn Mesa Runner with an 88cc 2 stroke engine

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Is this a good deal?

I am looking at getting my first road bike in 40 years (currently have a specialized flat bar and a Gary Fisher MITB). There is a local ad selling a Fuji Roubaix United for cheap. Looks to be in good shape. Bike blue book says these bikes listed MSRP was over 2K new. Not knowing a lot about road bikes, looking for some advice.
Old 04-12-19, 12:00 PM
bogydave

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts

we’re enablers here
buying another bike is always a good thing
remember that
“fit” is a very very important consideration
(more than $$)imo
Old 04-12-19, 05:10 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
Gonna be tough to say how good a deal it is, if you don;t tell us the price. Also, I happen to currently have a Fuji Roubaix bike, that i got used off Craigslist last year, and I'm really happy with it, but something i noticed with the Fuji's (more than some others) is that the MSRP can be way over what they actually sell/sold for. (this could make them a particularly good deal, or just be a marketing hustle).
Try to do some digging around and see if you can find out what the bike actually sold for. If it's a lot less than that advertised MSRP, you can use that in your negotiations. Also, bicycle blue book's used-bike values tend to be insanely low, but you may can get some mileage out of that, as well.
The bike you're looking at is higher end than the one i got, so parts may be better, but mine was covered in Fuji's house-brand stuff, "Oval", from wheels to crank to cockpit (but to be fair, as best i can tell, it's probably just as good {and heavy** as most other company's' house brand stuff, like Cannondale's Coda,etc.)