Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Do you get a better workout on a fixed gear or freewheel/single speed?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Do you get a better workout on a fixed gear or freewheel/single speed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-18, 12:24 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2650 Post(s)
Liked 3,159 Times in 1,664 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnytheboy
which one gets the better workout?
What's your opinion? Honest question.

I think we can all agree that at the extreme ends, the athletes (track sprinter, grand tour rider) are polar opposites in regards to training, body type and muscle fiber composition. Most of us fall (as we should) somewhere in-between.

Last edited by TMonk; 07-30-18 at 12:27 AM.
Old 07-30-18, 12:30 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Originally Posted by drlogik
There's no "rest" with a fixed gear, either going up, down or flats. There's also the mental aspect of riding a fixed gear. You cannot let your brain lapse one second.
Yeah, not so sure I agree with this. I dig your sentiment, but like a lot of users in this forum I've done a lot of fixed gear riding, road and track. While there are things about it that make it inherently and objectively difficult, it's pretty easy at this point and doesn't require so much focus. From a routine ride perspective, mountain biking requires way more focus because the risk of crashing is so much higher if you're not watching your front wheel.
Old 07-30-18, 06:24 PM
johnnytheboy

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
i think 5 hours of cardio is a better workout than 30mins of balls out effort.
Old 07-30-18, 09:23 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Probably. I think there's good adaptation from both workouts and good reason to do both. I prefer the latter b/c it's more fun to me and I'm better at it.

I only do a handful of road races per year; my primary focus is crit and track racing I make sure to ride for 5+ hrs every few weeks or so at least. There really is no substitute - it just makes your "bag of efforts" so much deeper. You need to go "ball out" to make things sharp and effective, but without those endurance rides you won't be able to go into the red like that nearly as many times.
Old 07-30-18, 10:18 PM
johnnytheboy

gotta make sure you’ve got enough matches to burn.
Old 07-30-18, 10:46 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

yep, that good ol' matchbook analogy holds true IME
Old 07-30-18, 11:02 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Back on topic: As much as I like to downplay it, I think riding a FG for many miles does induce a little more fatigue than a freehub/freewheel bike, although that disparity gets minimized the fitter you get.
Old 07-31-18, 12:05 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4809 Post(s)
Liked 3,938 Times in 2,560 Posts
Fix gear is significantly more effort and more physically draining though not much more of a workout and at times less. Effort is a huge part of fix gear riding. Typically fix gear rides require between 25% and 33% more effort than a geared bike for the same ride. Now - effort cannot be measured on a machine. It is not watts, calories expended or anything else you can document. But all of us who have ridden the road long enough both fixed and geared know what I am talking about. (Lifetime I've done roughly 100,000 miles of each. I've done Cycle Oregon twice geared, four times fixed.) Fixed is a LOT harder, even when I bring all my cogs and can ride any gear I want (but have to both plan ahead and stop to change gears, much as they did 100 years ago). When I do Cycle Oregon geared I can stay up and listen to the music (which ends by 10pm). On the rides I do fixed, it is hard just to stay up late enough to catch the announcements re: the next days ride. Going into town after setting up my tent doesn't happen.

Riding fix gear is also wonderful for teaching good pedaling skills and recovery while pedaling. Going fast fixed downhill is all about teaching your muscles to relax completely when they aren't actually powering you. Downhill they aren't. So the better that part of your pedaling, the faster you can go downhill. Two years after I finished racing and most of my rides were on my fix gear, I used to do crazy rides up Oakland's Jauquim Miller, turn around at Skyline Blvd and bomb down the 1000' back to Oakland. I never saw my speed, but I was never passed on the 4 lane parkway with median that was usually driven at 50. All on a 42-17. So fast on small gears is quite possible if you train hard enough to relax those muscles, have the hill and have an attitude of either suicidal or crazy. (My post head-injury "crazy years. Those rides kept me out of institutions and off substances.)

Yesterday I rode 70 miles with a hilly circle around a reservoir. Today I rode the same bike in town and back. I had no legs so rode the 42-17 instead of yesterday's 16 but I was even faster downhill. Exactly what I was talking about above.

Ben
Old 07-31-18, 12:19 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

[QUOTE=drlogik;20477066... There's no "rest" with a fixed gear, either going up, down or flats. There's also the mental aspect of riding a fixed gear. You cannot let your brain lapse one second. ....[/QUOTE]

Not really The huge gift of road fix gear riding is that your muscles learn to relax and recover while spinning, I find my focus is better riding fixed without me working harder at it.

If you are not there yet, ride more miles and longer rides fixed. 100 miles fixed, especially with wind or hills will go a long way. In my racing days, my fendered beater was fixed. Long ride day and rain? I'd check the weather for wind direction, find a town 50 miles upwind and rider there for lunch. Spin home. On storm wind days, the ride home was not fun unless my legs were really loose!

Ben
Old 07-31-18, 08:52 AM
johnnytheboy

@79pmooney how long have you been riding? 200,000 miles is a lot to cover on a bike. that’s 20yrs of 10,000 mile years....
Old 07-31-18, 12:13 PM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by drlogik
There's also the mental aspect of riding a fixed gear. You cannot let your brain lapse one second. There's no room for day-dreaming or thinking about something else. All of the focus is on the bike, the road and the engine or bad things tend to happen...quickly. That mental exercise for me is also a workout. It helps me focus better at everything.
Perhaps it depends where you are riding? Since I don't ride fixed often enough, the bike will usually remind me once at the start of each ride that it IS a fixed gear, but aside from that one reminder I find the fixed gear gives me more relaxation. Of course, I also ride in places where I'll go miles between making a turn or sometimes even seeing another person. In a city, you'd need attention I assume. On open road though, you're just spinning and spinning and spinning for miles on end. Uphill, downhill, flats, it's all the same. Overall, very meditative to me.
Old 07-31-18, 12:19 PM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
look at professional track racers and professional road racers and tell me which one is in better shape.
Drag racing vs endurance racing. Each has a different look and I'm sure both are somewhere around the top 1% of humans for fitness.

Personally, the track racers look over-muscled, which I find unattractive. Meanwhile the road racers have skinny arms even for a skinny person. I would most rather look like a road racer who does some curls now and then.
Old 07-31-18, 06:17 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
Back on topic: As much as I like to downplay it, I think riding a FG for many miles does induce a little more fatigue than a freehub/freewheel bike, although that disparity gets minimized the fitter you get.
There is a good point here.

Fitness minimizes it but so does learning to cooperate with the bike rather than fight it. Over time riders get to know how to ride more efficiently, not waste a bunch of energy. Several years of riding and it is much easier for me, very natural feeling.

Sometimes roadies will act like it was some superhero thing to have ridden fixed gear and I want to say that it really isn't that difficult. Heck, if I can do it...

-Tim-
Old 07-31-18, 07:17 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Originally Posted by TimothyH
]t. Heck, if I can do it...

-Tim-
I think its fair to say that you're both more fit and more experienced than most BF users Tim
Old 07-31-18, 10:21 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I never saw my speed, but I was never passed on the 4 lane parkway with median that was usually driven at 50. All on a 42-17.
Wait, are you saying you cruised downhill at 50+ MPH on a fixed 42x17 drivetrain? That's something like 260 RPM! I have no reason to doubt you... but this seems pretty incredible.
Old 07-31-18, 10:49 PM
johnnytheboy

he just gave you all the reason to doubt him. couple 200,000+ miles of riding with 50mph fixed gear downhills...and yeah. pretty incredible.
Old 07-31-18, 11:34 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

that doesn't mean he was going 50+, it just means that he didn't get passed, which can also be accomplished by riding 0.5 MPH if no one else is around
Old 08-01-18, 09:24 AM
79pmooney

Originally Posted by Broctoon
Wait, are you saying you cruised downhill at 50+ MPH on a fixed 42x17 drivetrain? That's something like 260 RPM! I have no reason to doubt you... but this seems pretty incredible.
I did say those were crazy rides. And those years were the crazy years. (Post TBI, years before the counseling and therapy that are routine now.) And yes, I was pedaling ridiculously fast. Funny, when I rolled onto the island of Alameda where I lived, I would not have a single sore muscle in my legs, even after that 1000' climb.

I'd never do that now. I value my life to much. (I doubt I ever hit 50. But I did go d*** fast; fast enough that cars had no issues simply staying back and watching.)

Ben
Old 08-01-18, 09:30 AM
79pmooney

@79pmooney how long have you been riding? 200,000 miles is a lot to cover on a bike. that’s 20yrs of 10,000 mile years....
I bought my first 10-speed in 1967 and count my miles from there. While I only raced three seasons, I piled on nearly 30,000 miles those years. Didn't own or drive a car until my early 30s. Never done fewer than 2,000 miles in a year since sophomorer year n college. After my divorce, 2003, did a bunch of years of 6-7,000 miles. It all adds up.

Ben
Old 08-01-18, 11:35 AM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Two years after I finished racing and most of my rides were on my fix gear, I used to do crazy rides up Oakland's Jauquim Miller, turn around at Skyline Blvd and bomb down the 1000' back to Oakland. I never saw my speed, but I was never passed on the 4 lane parkway with median that was usually driven at 50. All on a 42-17 . . .
Awesome. Ever go through the Caldecott Tunnel on a bike? I used to commute to Berkeley from the East Bay, and I was sorely tempted to try it on several occasions late at night, to avoid the 1000 foot climb over the Oakland hills over Fish Ranch Rd / Claremont. Heading east, the tunnel is all downhill, so it seems quite do-able.
Old 08-01-18, 05:50 PM
mrmb

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Fixed gear is a better workout in my experience. Rather than pulling a brake lever, you push back against the pedals to slow down. No coasting. No shifting to an "easier" gear.
Old 08-01-18, 10:19 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Originally Posted by mrmb
Fixed gear is a better workout in my experience. Rather than pulling a brake lever, you push back against the pedals to slow down.
What if you ride brakes on your fg?

No coasting.
What if you don't coast? What if you have the ability to shift into a larger gear so that you can still apply power/torque when you'd be spun out downhil on the fixie?

No shifting to an "easier" gear.
What if you shift to a "harder" gear?
Old 08-01-18, 11:13 PM
79pmooney

I have always used brakes, good brakes. I've had knee issues since 1977 and known I could destroy them anytime I wanted or bite the bullet and put on and use a $50 brakeset (and get sweet handholds for climbing; handholds I need far more riding fixed than I do riding with gears. When I started, it was as race training and discipline and done on road bikes we simply replaced the rear wheel of. I went up hills I'd have had to walk down if I rode brakeless.(or go down at a snail's pace).

Plus, having an engineer's mind, not having a front brake always sounded to me, just dumb. Kinda like taking the big flaps used for take-off and landings off an airliner. "Ah, control tower. we took the flaps off, Direct us to a runway twice as long. We'll be hitting it at minimum flying speed, 250 mph." Why? Saves weight and air resistance. Improves fuel economy. And its's cool. Joe does it.

Ben
Old 08-02-18, 09:17 AM
mrmb

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
What if you ride brakes on your fg?

What if you don't coast? What if you have the ability to shift into a larger gear so that you can still apply power/torque when you'd be spun out downhil on the fixie?

What if you shift to a "harder" gear?
What if, what if, what if....

You can what if all you want. My points were clear.
Old 08-02-18, 09:40 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

@mrmb your points were good, I'm just trying to get you to think about it differently. While the FG does sort of force your ride to be more difficult, there's nothing stopping one from mitigating your points by just putting out more effort on a geared bike.

One legitimate counterpoint is that a geared bike enables one to make their ride more difficult in high speed situations when you would otherwise be spun out on the fg.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.