Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Broke my Girlfriend Bike Chain!

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-14, 04:59 PM
terminatorsd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I had quite the Saturday, I biked with my girlfriend and a few friends about 15 miles into Downtown. It was a leisurely ride, we grabbed lunch and some beers and made our way back...

Well, my bike was missing and stolen Luckily it was my junker "full suspension" mountain bike...at this time my girlfriend opted to take an Uber and I'd take her bike. I agreed, and gave her my phone and began riding.

Honestly...a little angry about my bike, I adjusted the seat and started pumping away...and I heard the chain go. I thought the chain fell off, so I stopped...and it did fall off...completely, and was lying on the floor in a straight line. So I ended up walking about 12 miles home...fun!

So my question is... is this fixable for someone with basic tools or do I need to visit the bike shop? She needs a tune up in general, but my girlfriend is gone for a week visiting family so I thought I learn some mountain bike maintenance. My first question is, can I simply replace the link pin? I didn't really investigate the chain much closer to see what exactly happened but figured I'd research a little bit.

I believe this is a derailer issue...but she can't get it into third gear, this is secondary but it sounds like some adjustments are necessary without too much of tinkering. I am getting back big into cycling, and would like to understand bike maintenance better and stop visiting the bike shop with every tiny issue.

Last question, has anyone done this before?
Old 08-21-14, 07:22 PM
Wythnail

Bikes: 78 Raleigh Pro, 80's Centurion Signet (fixed), 81 Lotus Eclair, couple projects always rotating through

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You may be able to reattach it. You'd need a chain tool though. The issue would be if a pin actually sheared apart, to reattach it the chain will be shorter than it used to be, which would mean adjusting the rear derailleur after. That is if its not too short.

As for what caused it I dont know, im not what youd call an expert mechanic, im just learning.

Given that either way the derailluer needs adjusting, and theres a special tool involved, I'd say this is a bike shop job.
Old 08-21-14, 07:42 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Modern bike chains generally cannot be reattached by using a normal link. No way to tell what caused the problem, though one possibility is that someone already installed the chain improperly. Take it to a bike co-op or shop and ask what you need to fix it.

As for general maintenance - sheldonbrown.com or parktool.com/blog.
Old 08-21-14, 09:25 PM
achoo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
What's the chain look like, especially where it failed? Anything bent or twisted?

How many speeds on the bike? IMO, and admittedly without much data, I'd think you need to replace the chain with a new one. You need to match the speeds to get the correct chain width.

Best solution, IMO:

1. Get the cheapest correct-speed KMC chain you can find: https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=kmc+chain
2. Get a chain breaker: https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=chain+breaker

Use the chain breaker to cut the new chain to the same number of links as the old chain, and put it on using the KMC quick link. Should take just a few minutes.
Old 08-22-14, 04:54 AM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Caution - if the bike has a lot of miles on it, and especially if your girlfriend leaves it on the small cog in back, the new chain may skip on the old cassette/freewheel.