Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Cell Phones: Essential?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.
View Poll Results: are cell phones essential commuting gear?
No
36.92%
Yes
43.85%
For certain people /gender/ age/ rural/ etc.
14.62%
Other
4.62%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Cell Phones: Essential?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-10, 05:25 PM
Grim

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tjspiel
The big thing that kept me from getting a cell phone until recently was being required to carry a pager in job I had 20 years ago. I worked in the part of the telephone company that supported 911 call centers. I understood that while not likely, there was a remote chance that not returning a page could cost someone their life. Getting calls at any time of day or night was extremely intrusive into my personal life however. It was the nature of my job so I dealt with it, but I've resisted making myself THAT available in any job I've taken since. I don't care if the technology is paid for by the company, it's still MY time.

I'm in management. I know there are people in our company who will call an employee at home or wherever expecting them to drop whatever it is they're doing to address the caller's wishes. I also know that often times it could wait or could have been avoided with better planning. I do think that is one downside to our people being so "connected". The line between work and personal life gets way too blurred in some cases and it affects peoples relationships and messes up their priorities. I doubt that many people on their deathbeds will regret not having spent more time working.

A cell phone is extremely tricky to deal when it comes to work. I will not take a work supplied phone. They will not pay for personal calls and I don't want my personal contacts and whatnot on a company phone anyway. I especially don't want to have to carry two phones. But how does a company deal with securing personal phones? It's a dicey issue.

I'd encourage anybody to spend a week now and them with a few other folks in a remote cabin, camping, or retreat where there is no cell reception and no Internet access. It can be very... refreshing.
Ohhh I know what you are talking about. I refuse to take my company blackberry home. I am on vacation and it is locked in my metal overhead on the metal shelf right up against my bosses cube where every time it rings it will rattle like all hell in that metal box. LOL

My company for the longest time wouldn't supply me with a company phone despite the fact I do travel at least one day a week but they did supply me with a balckberry no voice. They would write off any overage on my personal phone and that was adding up to a good bit. They wouldn't pay for Mobile to Mobile (this was a while ago and on my employee rat plan they gave me a 500 and 1000 minute rate plan) that at $10 a month M2M eliminate $50 a month worth of overages monthly. LOL

So they finally got voice on the blackberry after somebody started paying attention to the overages they were paying and the Online class that clearly stated "Employee rate plan is perk for personal use not business use". Then this happened: https://www.ajc.com/business/ats-over...ly-280124.html (I am a first line manager and hourly) and part of that suit was about employess answering e-mails on the blackberry that were not on reciving "on call" pay. I feel I can safely say that this is probably part of what caused it.

Boss: you are provided a company blackberry and as such expected to respond
Employee responds as directed off the clock and then given hell about putting down OT for that 2 minutes of time (the time is reported in 15 minute blocks). So 6-8 emails over a weekend was adding 1-2 hours of OT
Later in a yearly online class required to be taken by ALL employees about time reporting it clearly states that working off the clock is prohibited without preapproval of the overtime. Later in that same class it clearly states that answering company e-mail is considered business. So the Employees nailed the company to the wall over it in the last couple weeks.

So the knee jerk reaction is the Data was cut off to most first line managers (and I am one) on my blackberry. I missed 2 conference calls last week as a result because I had no access to the call in numbers. LOL
Old 09-19-10, 05:39 PM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by GriddleCakes
Well, you're right, but fear as a marketing tactic is used to sell many other things than cell phones. It's a strong emotional motivator. Are you aggravated that fear is used to market products? Seems as useful as getting aggravated at people who get aggravated over the piddling annoyances which abound in human society.
Aggravated is a fairly charged word. I don't think universal cell phone use leads us as a society to healthier communication. My wife (a Fairbanksan, btw) relies on hers to call me when she's on her way home from work in Manhattan. We get many chances to talk about stuff, both important and inane. Everyone ought to have personal space that is separate from the buzz of 21st century life. Not having a television and not having a phone is how I achieve this for myself. Other people might have a particular personality makeup that either achieves this in other ways or does not require it. That's ok too.

I guess I can't really complain too much about being considered odd for not having one. I must admit I relish being seen as a unique person or even an eccentric.
Originally Posted by GriddleCakes
(yes, the meaning of the word has weakened over time; welcome to the wonderful world of language) With that in mind: Helmets: Essential?
I suppose emergency originally carried a more mild meaning, something that's come up (emerged) unexpectedly. And yes, a helmet is essential... it just might obviate the need for a cell phone! Besides if you line yours with tin foil, it will keep the cell phone radiation out!
Old 09-19-10, 05:59 PM
GriddleCakes
Tawp Dawg

Bikes: '06 Surly Pugsley, '14 Surly Straggler, '88 Kuwahara Xtracycle, '10 Motobecane Outcast 29er, '?? Surly Cross Check (wife's), '00 Trek 4500 (wife's), '12 Windsor Oxford 3-speed (dogs')

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Standalone
Aggravated is a fairly charged word...I guess I can't really complain too much about being considered odd for not having one. I must admit I relish being seen as a unique person or even an eccentric.
Annoyed, then. Anyway, I was just puzzling as to the purpose of the thread. Was it find if other people agree with your opinion on cell phones? Definitely, and I'm one of them. I do find my cell phone handy, but hardly essential. Increasingly this opinion will make you stand out from the crowd, but as you say, this isn't a bad thing.

And yes, a helmet is essential... it just might obviate the need for a cell phone!
Just my opinion here, but I disagree. Proper bike handling skills, situational awareness, awareness of the limits of one's own abilities, and knowledge of the rules and conventions of the road are essential to cycling. They might just obviate the need for a helmet.
Old 09-19-10, 06:01 PM
travelmama

Bikes: Kona Ute, Nishiki 4130, Trek 7000, K2 Mach 1.0, Novara Randonee, Schwinn Loop, K2 Zed 1.0, Schwinn Cream, Torker Boardwalk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Goodness, What went wrong here? I thought this was supposed to be a poll turned into discussion not an attack on how people live their lives.
My cellphone is on hand while I ride but I sure would not use it should anything happen. I would simply get on a bus or train to get to or near my house. I think if people commute and public transportation is available in their areas, they should learn the system in case they have to leave the bike or take it with them.
Standalone- you are right about people using emergency as an excuse for everything. Pre-cellphone, people got on well before, and will continue to do so. I hope you didn't buy that SUB for the kids. Ha!
Timber- I will take $40 if you want to give it to me.
Old 09-19-10, 06:13 PM
ilynne
Free and Self-Reliant

Bikes: Retrovelo Paula, 3 Speed Brompton, Rivendell Cheviot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MVclyde
Cell phone is a necessity for me due to a medical condition that causes vertigo. It flares up without warning. When it does, my ride is over. I suppose I could wait it out or rely on the kindness of people on the road, but I'd rather just call my wife to come and get me.
As a person who had a spell with vertigo about 5 years ago, I heartily agree. There is no pushing through vertigo. You put your head down and look at something that is not moving and wait for the world to stop spinning. I've had to call people for rides, too.

On second thought, just learn to take care of yourself, winge-bag!
Old 09-19-10, 06:41 PM
Grim

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I forgot to add that for me it is a necessity. I ride because of my heart needing the health benefits. I have three stents after a MI for clogged up arteries. When I started riding I had a LOT of anxiety attacks of "what if". Thankfully I have never needed it but there is always the chance. I am in a 1000% better shape for the riding and I dont worry the what if anymore but I do love my iPhone.
Old 09-19-10, 08:24 PM
akohekohe
The Professor

Bikes: Alex Moulton Double Pylon, Surly Big Dummy, Alex Moulton GT, AZUB TiFly

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I might add that although I carry a cell phone I never turn it on except to use it. As I mentioned in a previous post I have used it to call the police when being harassed by motorists and it was quite effective in that application. I used it to report a brush fire once and I think, since I was the first to report it, I probably mitigated the property damage quite a bit. I also once called in an obviously DUI driver that was having trouble negotiating the parking lot he was in. The cops grabbed him before he made it out onto the road. So, are mobile phones essential? no. Have I used it a few times where the situation would have been worse if I didn't have it? - you bet. For the $10 a year I pay for it I think it is worth it.

BTW, I think this thread really would be a better fit over at Living Car Free since the OP's intent seems to be for making a case for doing without. He will find many over their who will sympathize with the do without attitude.
Old 09-20-10, 02:37 AM
gbcb
J3L 2404

Bikes: 2007 Jamis Nova

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tjspiel
I'd encourage anybody to spend a week now and them with a few other folks in a remote cabin, camping, or retreat where there is no cell reception and no Internet access. It can be very... refreshing.
Or go to North Korea. They make you hand in your phone at the border and put it in a sealed customs bag -- you get it when (or if ) you leave. Oddly, my trip was one of the most relaxing I've ever been on.
Old 09-20-10, 04:25 AM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Originally Posted by akohekohe

BTW, I think this thread really would be a better fit over at Living Car Free since the OP's intent seems to be for making a case for doing without. He will find many over their who will sympathize with the do without attitude.
"To the car free ghetto with you!"

Do anti-helmet people belong there, too?

It's funny how having a strong but respectfully presented opinion on this makes even nice people act.

Maybe that's my point.
Old 09-20-10, 04:37 AM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Friends have been hurt during bike rides. So, are they essential.. Probably so.. Still, we are some of the few in the world who hate them.. People think that weird. So be it.. We have one , but it sits in the desk unused and uncharged.. When out on a ride, I carry a phone card in case.. But, might I have to crawl to a public phone should I be hurt..
. My dislike of them . Guess irrational.. 1. I feel no need to be in touch with people every minute of my life.. I actually enjoy being on the bike away from people . Escaping people can some days be cause for a ride.. I've seen fellow cyclists called back from a group ride, for what I felt insufficient reasons..
. Historical reasons I've grown to hate cell phones.. People talking on them during movies.. Incessant chatter while at the grocery stores , bothering me with the trivia of their family life.. People talking on cell phones while driving..
.Some even call being distanced from their cell phone cause for some new phone phobia. That to me is a psychological disorder.

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 09-20-10, 10:04 AM
rkerider

Bikes: Trek 7.3 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's useful to have a phone for any repairs that can't be done at roadside. I keep mine in the pannier and check for VM's or missed calls when I reach my work/home. I wouldn't see the need to be chatting while riding but nice to know that a phone is available for use. I have company phone but don't ride when I'm on-call, since you have to answer when being called.
Old 09-20-10, 11:45 AM
Kojak

Bikes: 2002 Litespeed Vortex - 2007 Trek Madone 5.9 - 2004 Redline Conquest Pro - Specialized S-Works Festina Team Model - 93 Cannondale M 800 Beast of the East

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If I don't have mine with me it's fine, but it's one of the things that I generally stash in my jersey pocket before I head out.

Twice I've broken pedals off at the spindle and twice I've broken frames while out on long rides. I can get through most minor mechanicals, but I don't carry spare pedals, and if any of you can pedal more than a couple of miles with one leg you're tougher than I am.

The times that I had a phone with me I was certainly glad that I did. Was it essential?, probably not, but walking up to a house to use a phone in a rural area while dressed in spandex clothing that's emblazoned with logos isn't my idea of a good time (probably not theirs either). Even in urban settings, phone booths are becoming increasingly rare, and if you do find one you got a fiddy fiddy chance of it being operational.
Old 09-20-10, 11:56 AM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Kojak
Even in urban settings, phone booths are becoming increasingly rare, and if you do find one you got a fiddy fiddy chance of it being operational.
This was another reason I eventually broke down and got a cell. I can remember my mother always telling me to carry some change in case I needed to call (whether on a bike or driving). They're increasingly hard to find.

Places of business typically had pay phones nearby or would let you use theirs for a local call. In urban/suburban areas, one was never far from an available phone. That's changed. It's expected that people have their own.

So while it is true that people didn't need cell phones for "emergencies" in the past, part of that was because there were plenty of public phones around.

Last edited by tjspiel; 09-20-10 at 12:00 PM.
Old 09-20-10, 12:24 PM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

That's part of what I don't like about cell phones. Pay Phones are yet another formerly public service that I'm now sort of expected to cover. Like clean water....
Old 09-20-10, 12:42 PM
HiYoSilver
Rides again

Bikes: Giant OCR T, Trek SC

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Essential, why? One saved my life. Healthy feeling great and then had a heart attack. 100% blockage. Having a phone meant I coulc call for help. I couldn't walk or be self reliant at that stage. Get a cheap prepaid plan.
Old 09-20-10, 01:14 PM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's part of what I don't like about cell phones. Pay Phones are yet another formerly public service that I'm now sort of expected to cover. Like clean water....
No one is forcing you to use a mobile phone. If you choose to use one then be prepared to pay for it. It's a simple equation. If you don't want to have a mobile then don't whine about the lack of pay-phones. Things change, and the world isn't going to conform to your view.

Mobiles are cheap and reliable. Last time I was in that States (2009) I bought a handset and 300 minutes of talk time for $20. Choose to use it or STFU.
Old 09-20-10, 01:29 PM
asok

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What about this was a public service? Private companies own the phone. You pay them money to use it.
Old 09-20-10, 01:43 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by asok
What about this was a public service? Private companies own the phone. You pay them money to use it.
I don't know about pay phones but phone companies are highly regulated. In some cases they had to provide local phone service in areas where it was not profitable for them to provide it. It's possible that in order to get the high value pay phone locations they also had to maintain pay phones in more remote places that were money losers for them. I don't know if that's true or not, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

So while you did pay money to use that pay phone out in the middle of nowhere, it's possible that part of the cost of keeping the phone out there was subsidized.

Last edited by tjspiel; 09-20-10 at 02:27 PM.
Old 09-20-10, 01:51 PM
EKW in DC

Bikes: Trek 830 Mountain Track Drop bar conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't have one. Never have, hopefully never will.
Apparently not, at least in your case.
Old 09-20-10, 01:55 PM
DataJunkie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
No but they are a nice plus if you have someone who can come bail you out. Especially since pay phones have gone the way of the dinosaurs.
Old 09-20-10, 01:58 PM
Brontide
DON'T PANIC!

Bikes: Fuji Absolute 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For commuting, not essential, but I carry a personal cell most of the time, including to work.

For rides I usually use the GPS for tracking and I use it to let my wife know how late I'm going to be when I get lost and have to change a flat.

It's not as essential as a repair kit and checking the weather report, but it's nice to have.
Old 09-20-10, 02:02 PM
sdold
Hi, folks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you don't feel the need to carry a phone for yourself, at least carry it so that you can call an ambulance for a buddy who has crashed or a cop for the drunk who is trying to run you off the road. This is probably one of the dumbest threads I've seen here yet, but I haven't been here that long. I can't wait to see what the coming months will bring.
Old 09-20-10, 02:34 PM
fatdogvinn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I never leave home without my wallet, my keys or my phone.
Whether I'm going to work or to the beach, and whether I'm riding a bike, a bus, my car or a freaking horse.

I'll tell you my secret to living the richest fullest cell phone experience.
You see, these fantastic gadget have a button, that lets you turn them ON or OFF. That button is like magic.

Turn it OFF. No calls, no sms, no emails, just like it's not even there.
Need to call someone: Turn it ON and Voilá!, there you go, make a call.

It seems to me it's a very convenient electronic communication device to have around.
Old 09-20-10, 02:49 PM
CACycling

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Not essential but, like any tool, can come in handy if the need arises. I have mine in my seat pack on every ride even though it has been a couple of years since I actually used it during a ride.
Old 09-20-10, 03:30 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
When people ask me for my cell number, I get a kick out of telling them I've never been in prison.

It's troubling that some people act hurt, as if I must surely have a cellphone, but am pretending not to, apparently because I don't consider them important enough to give my number.

Alas, it is getting harder to find payphones in my neighborhood. Last week I bought a Reese peanutbutter cup at a supermarket for change, and when I asked the cashier where the nearest payphone she smirked and said, "Even HOMELESS PEOPLE have cellphones!" (Won't be going back in there for peanutbutter cups anytime soon. )

Last edited by calamarichris; 09-20-10 at 03:34 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.