Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

First Fixed Commute

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

First Fixed Commute

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-09, 04:27 PM
ausfix

Bikes: Cube Agree and others . . .

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Give me fixed for commuting any day. So many advantages, not least of which is the minimal mechanical maintenance required. Other advantages: quiet drive train, better "road feel", lighter bike, more alert to details, on and on. I'm even less hip: I'm 51.
Old 01-29-09, 05:14 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jyossarian
You can always take your foot off the pedals when you go down the hills and put them back on once the whirling eggbeaters of death slow down to a more reasonable speed.
I've done this, too... and every time I do, I hear the voice of my friend who's done the FC508 twice yelling at me "NO CHEATING, WUSSBAG!"

From the FC508 rules on fixed gear bicycles: E. Fixed Gear Division: ...Wheel switches are permitted only for wheel failures, and must be identical or essentially identical to the failed wheel. Bike switches are not permitted. Riders may not coast with feet off the pedals. Riders must declare their gear (ring/cog/wheel size) choice at check in, which may not be changed thereafter.
Old 01-29-09, 05:53 PM
PartyPack

Bikes: Surly Steamroller, Custom Reynolds Road Bike, Vivente World Randonneur

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by astroman
the OP is from brisbane australia - there will never be a reason for long pants on a bike there!
Yep true enough, shorts all year round. The greatest danger comes form dehydration.
Old 01-29-09, 05:56 PM
PartyPack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Here is a screen capture from a Lucas Brunelle video called
Wow, feet off the pedals with no brakes. Those guys have amazing skills. I'm surprised the pedestrians and cars are so tolerant of their antics.

Last edited by PartyPack; 01-29-09 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Can't spell
Old 01-30-09, 02:48 PM
J B Bell

Bikes: 2007 ICE Trice T; 2008 Brompton M6L; 2009 Surly LHT; 2010 Surly Cross Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I prefer riding fixed for my commute; my two FG's are in my workshop getting new handlebars (just haven't had the time & energy since getting back from bike school). I originally did it because I wanted more of a workout for my short commute, but really like it for all the reasons cited.

I don't have any foot retention, just very grippy Grip King pedals, and yes! Two brakes!

Glad you're having fun on the Surly, it looks like a very nice bike.
Old 01-30-09, 03:24 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7353 Post(s)
Liked 2,483 Times in 1,441 Posts
I prefer commuting on a bike with fenders. When the weather can be expected to stay dry, I might try my fixed gear bike for commuting. It's a pretty hilly commute, and I'm out of practice at fixed gear riding. I got the bike a few months ago, and I go really slowly down hills, out of fear.

In the meantime, I have a multi-gear bike for commuting.

My commute is 10 miles each way. I've only cycled to work twice since I started this job three months ago. I hope to cycle more frequently. It's uphill all the way to work except for two short hills with the opposite slope.
Old 01-30-09, 07:52 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1968 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
Why can't you put fenders on a fixed gear?
Old 01-30-09, 08:07 PM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Yan
Why can't you put fenders on a fixed gear?
You can. I have fenders and a rack on mine.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 01-30-09, 09:10 PM
aMull

Bikes: Leader 735TR 09 58cm 46/17

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by J B Bell
I don't have any foot retention, just very grippy Grip King pedals, and yes! Two brakes!
Jesus man, put some clips and straps on there and you'll never look back. You might as well commute on a geared bike if you're using two brakes and platforms....
Old 01-30-09, 09:42 PM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have you beat, I have a chainguard!
Old 01-30-09, 09:49 PM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fuzz2050
I have you beat, I have a chainguard!
I have a kickstand!!

Old 01-30-09, 10:23 PM
crhilton

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by NEXUS
I am pretty sure you are not the same but one of these fixed gear guys almost ran me over. He was coming down a hill full speed and he had no brakes on his bike and his handle bar was about 10" wide! I also see these guys doing dangerous stuff like track stands and riding backwards in circles while waiting for the left turn light at the intersection and half the time when the light turns green they aren't ready to go since they weren't paying attention.

I advise that you put a chainguard on that bike ASAP. Don't want to imagine what would happen if you got your pant caught in the chain of a fixie!
You sound like a grumpy old man. Someone had to say it.

A chain guard does seem like a reasonable precaution.
Old 01-30-09, 10:26 PM
apricissimus 
L T X B O M P F A N S R

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi San Jose, Redline 925

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I have fenders on mine too.
Old 01-31-09, 07:16 PM
Hasselhof

Bikes: Merida Espresso 600 EQ

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hey PartyPack, I'm a steamroller rider from Brisbane as well I'd have to say it is with out a doubt the most terrifying form of transport I have available to me on a day to day basis. It sits in the corner of my garage just daring me to ride it (preferably down hill during peak hour), waiting for me to lose concentration so it can throw me into passing vehicles, trees or the river. ITs feckin awesome! Lose concentration for one minuite on the hills and you're done for (I only have the front brake, not even sure you can fit a rear brake on my model). All that said, that bike is the most fun you can have on a saddle. Since I bought it, I've decided to sell my two other bikes (one geared MTB and one SS MTB) as they were just being neglected.

I don't commute on it anymore however it was the perfect bike for me to get to uni a few years ago (Windsor -> UQ), once you get on the riverside bike path you just wanna roll and roll and roll all day.

Good luck with it, hope you enjoy it as much as I have
Old 01-31-09, 07:54 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1968 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by Hasselhof
I'd have to say it is with out a doubt the most terrifying form of transport I have available to me on a day to day basis. Lose concentration for one minuite on the hills and you're done for (I only have the front brake, not even sure you can fit a rear brake on my model).
Sounds like you're riding without foot retension. I also only have a front brake (irrelevant), and in any case I do not find down hill cycling on a fixed gear to be dangerous.

Toe clips on a fixed gear are almost impossible to get into for the first 100km, but once you learn the precise flipping motion involved, they're very convenient.

I eventually put clipless pedals on my fixed gear, but I still miss the wear any shoe freedom of toe clips.
Old 01-31-09, 09:06 PM
slloth

Bikes: '72 peugeot PX10

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PartyPack
Wow. Once you get the hang of pedalling all the time I have to say it is the most exciting form of riding I have ever done.

When you get bored again try the commute with out your brakes! Since I use my fixed mainly for tricks I still haven't put brakes on it. Last night I bombed a couple hills. Now that is a rush!

Also it is a very weird feeling when you get back on a bike with a freewheel.
Old 02-01-09, 05:09 AM
Hasselhof

Bikes: Merida Espresso 600 EQ

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Sounds like you're riding without foot retension.
No no, I use clipless and have since the moment I bought the bike (pair of egg beaters). All I mean is that riding fixed requires constant situational awareness far more than any other bike.
Old 02-01-09, 11:05 PM
PartyPack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hasselhof
Hey PartyPack, I'm a steamroller rider from Brisbane as well I'd have to say it is with out a doubt the most terrifying form of transport I have available to me on a day to day basis. It sits in the corner of my garage just daring me to ride it (preferably down hill during peak hour), waiting for me to lose concentration so it can throw me into passing vehicles, trees or the river. ITs feckin awesome! Lose concentration for one minuite on the hills and you're done for (I only have the front brake, not even sure you can fit a rear brake on my model). All that said, that bike is the most fun you can have on a saddle. Since I bought it, I've decided to sell my two other bikes (one geared MTB and one SS MTB) as they were just being neglected.

I don't commute on it anymore however it was the perfect bike for me to get to uni a few years ago (Windsor -> UQ), once you get on the riverside bike path you just wanna roll and roll and roll all day.

Good luck with it, hope you enjoy it as much as I have

Yeah I go over Highgate and down over the Green Bridge to UQ each day. With all the construction and rain the Steamroller certainly needs my full attention.

I find the Coro Drive bike way scary at the best of times especially in the Mornings with all the other users.

The hills, heat and wind in Brissy really are a killer on a fixie
Old 02-02-09, 01:55 AM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by slloth
Also it is a very weird feeling when you get back on a bike with a freewheel.
I'm glad I'm not the only one, I trip up more when I'm going from fixed to free than free to fixed. I just expect the pedals to follow me through, but they just stop. When I just want to scrum a little speed, i resist the motion and they stop cold. What manor of witchcraft is that freewheel?
Old 02-02-09, 02:36 AM
Prabuddhadg

Bikes: Olmo, Psynyde, Fuji, Gios, Scrambler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Many years back, I had experimented with fixed gear riding. I used to live in Calcutta, India then, and after searching realised that fixed cogs were not available anywhere around. So, I opened up a freewheel and put bits of metal in the freewheel mechanism and then got someone to gas weld two spots on the freewheel cover. That was my fixed cog.

I agree it was a very exciting ride, though how you people manage with foot retention, I have no idea. Just finding the pedal was a task. Actually, I had initially thought I would be able to stop by just stopping pedalling, but I couldn't have been farther from the truth. I quickly reinstalled the rear brake.

Calcutta was all flat as a pancake, so I have no experience with downhill riding fixed. Lets see, every once in a while, I think of converting one of my bikes to a fixed...
Old 02-02-09, 07:59 AM
aMull

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fixed gear without foot retention is asking for serious trouble. Finding the pedals will come to you quickly, and you'll wonder why you even gave it any though before.
Old 02-02-09, 10:06 AM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fuzz2050
I'm glad I'm not the only one, I trip up more when I'm going from fixed to free than free to fixed. I just expect the pedals to follow me through, but they just stop. When I just want to scrum a little speed, i resist the motion and they stop cold. What manor of witchcraft is that freewheel?
You bring up a good point. Some people expect their spin and pedal technique to improve by riding a FG. The only way you can improve that is if you consciously make an effort to pedal through the full 360 degrees, which you can do on any bike fixed or free. Otherwise, you may develop a deadspot at the bottom of the pedal stroke that becomes apparent when you ride a freewheel. Riding up and down hills helps develop that 360 deg. pedal stroke.

Old 02-02-09, 10:36 AM
aMull

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Riding fixed dramatically improved my spin on a freewheel. I actually don't like coasting anymore, and keep the pedals moving even when i'm applying the brakes.
Old 02-02-09, 11:08 AM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by aMull
Riding fixed dramatically improved my spin on a freewheel. I actually don't like coasting anymore, and keep the pedals moving even when i'm applying the brakes.
I like coasting and riding my geared bikes, but I did notice a big improvement in my technique since I've started riding fixed. My geared climbing is much smoother, since I've learned to increase my cadence from riding fixed on many downhills. I can throw my geared bike into a tiny gear and spin it like nobody's business.
Old 02-02-09, 04:24 PM
PartyPack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CliftonGK1
I like coasting and riding my geared bikes, but I did notice a big improvement in my technique since I've started riding fixed. My geared climbing is much smoother, since I've learned to increase my cadence from riding fixed on many downhills. I can throw my geared bike into a tiny gear and spin it like nobody's business.
While I've found that my ability to spin has improved even in a short period of time I have the opposite experience climbing, I find I can now hold higher gears for longer and climb faster.