Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

And the police wonder WHY vigilante bike theft efforts.

Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

And the police wonder WHY vigilante bike theft efforts.

Old 09-03-10, 03:26 AM
Nigal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't steal bikes bro!
Old 09-03-10, 04:48 AM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nigal View Post
Yup. That's a great video. Funny, the thief actually had a helmet! Must have been concerned with his safety.
Old 09-03-10, 05:52 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Schwinn Speedster, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, MB3

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
You guys should put in a tracking device and find the den of evil do-ers... and maybe all your bikes.
Old 09-03-10, 06:06 AM
K'Tesh
Commander, UFO Bike

Bikes: Giant, Trek

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Catch thief, U-Lock thief to bike rack (around the neck)
Old 09-03-10, 07:22 AM
colleen c
I am a caffine girl

Bikes: 2012 Stumpjumper FSR Comp...2010 Scott CR1 CF...2007 Novara FS Float2.0...2009 Specialized Hardrock Disc...2009 Schwinn Le Tour GSr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wish the best for these Vigilante. However just for the sake of their own liability, I only hope they will video record every action that happens. Beyond just court evidence against the accused, the recording may also limit as to keep things from getting out of hand for the Vigilante.

It's too easy to become irrational when one, or worst, a group of people. Things do escalate. Catching a theive can really raises one adrenaline fairly fast and especially if it is your property. In my lifetime, I had a case where a guy was trying to stab me with the same screw driver he used to break into my car and my friend and I caught him in surprise. I tried a stun gun but it fail because those thing were weak back in the 80's. Several years later, I caught two theives in progress of trying to steal my Alpine stereo from my car and I sat on the balcony with my shot gun loaded with buckshot alongside was my dad with his 45 (yes, living in Oakland back then have a tendancy to make a person to learn how to use a firearm). We took the right step and call the police who kept us in constant touch with 911 to set up a police perimeter around the area. They did catch those suspect and they pleaded guilty getting 3 month jail time and 1 year probation. It was tempting to take laws into your own hand each time something like this happen. Then 10 years back, I got assualted when I let my guard down. Today I don't even leave the house without carry two Taser. So yeah, things can escalate.......just saying.
Old 09-03-10, 09:10 AM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, Colleen, you must live in some bad neighborhood In my 22 years in NYC I was never assaulted and I am not a scary looking big guy or anything like that. Neither was my mom and my wives. I had two minor burglaries but never a physical confrontation. I don't ever carry a Mace or anything. But I'm never outside during odd hours. Maybe I'm just lucky.
Old 09-03-10, 10:59 AM
colleen c
I am a caffine girl

Bikes: 2012 Stumpjumper FSR Comp...2010 Scott CR1 CF...2007 Novara FS Float2.0...2009 Specialized Hardrock Disc...2009 Schwinn Le Tour GSr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I was living with my parents, their condo was not in a too bad of an area. But the neighbor gets a lot of outsider that come to steal car radio to support their drug habits from the East and West side. The time I got assaulted was in San Francisco in the Tenderloin which back in the 90's had a lot of drug pusher out there and I was happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Each time a crime or incident happens, it really gets me rev up. That's why sometimes I think Vigilante can be bad because say if I was part of that Vigilante group as a volunteer, I may go beyond simple citizen arrest because of my past experience and may attempt to do personal harm because of different agenda. So a Vigilante can be good and bad.
Old 09-04-10, 10:50 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A long time ago in a far-away place... I had a friend who found his stolen bike. He had been carrying his proof of ownership ever since it was stolen so he called the cops and waited for the thief to come unlock it. The person who unlocked the bike claimed he had just borrowed it from his room-mate who had dozens of bikes. The cop offered to not arrest him for possession of stolen property if he gave the cop permission to search his house. The room-mate (bike thief) then had a really bad day.
Old 09-06-10, 07:53 PM
Kimmitt 

Bikes: Electra Townie 3i with xtracycle, Surly Cross-Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some stories have a happy ending, and some cops are both decent and good at their jobs.