Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How much weight have you lost?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How much weight have you lost?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-10, 07:25 PM
shizzy

Bikes: Trek 4300, 85 Schwinn LeTour, Schwinn Link

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I actually gained 5lbs, but I did notice the flab in my mid section went away so Im assuming I simply replaced the flub with muscle. 5'8", I went from 150-155lbs
Old 09-08-10, 08:26 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
I haven't lost any weight. But my pants now fall off if I don't wear a belt.
Old 09-08-10, 09:59 PM
YingYang

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have weighed myself and used my bathroom scale to measure body fat percentage every morning for the past ~11 weeks. After 11 weeks of eating better and biking the last 9 weeks, I have lost 12 lbs and gained ~2% lean body mass. However, I also record everything I eat on a daily basis in Excel, and I closely monitor/adjust my nutritional intake accordingly as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
weight graph..JPG (36.1 KB, 13 views)
Old 09-10-10, 01:30 AM
Kimmitt 

Bikes: RadRunner Plus, Kona Dew Deluxe

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
About 20 lbs, and I'm very happy at my current weight.
Old 09-10-10, 04:23 AM
Hulley

Bikes: 2011 Scott Addict

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great work guys/gals, I'm hoping to get my new rig this weekend so I'm looking forward to joining the ranks. My wife starts today.
Old 09-10-10, 10:44 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
I did not get into cycling to lose weight. I got into cycling because I wanted it to be a way of life for me. I've been cycling for 37 years, and avidly for the past 20 years.

But during that time I've lost well over 100 lbs ... probably well over 200 lbs. I lose 5-20 lbs in the summer ... gain 5-20 lbs in the winter ... lose 5-20 lbs in the summer .......
LMAO!

+1

hundreds of lbs for me...
I succumb easily to the siren song of tasty morsels...
... but I wouldn;t have it any other way...
Old 09-10-10, 10:59 AM
Garilia

Bikes: Fantom 29

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have lost 50 pounds since May (from 270-220) but I have not been riding. Because I've lost weight, I want to start riding. I plan to go about 50 pounds lighter, as I'm only 5'9"
Old 09-10-10, 02:15 PM
powerhouse

Bikes: Trek 850 Antelope

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been bicycling for 34 years. In spite of visual and other disabilities, bicycling was and is a big part of my life for transportation, keeping fit, traveling, and enjoyment.
After being off the bicycle for a long time this year because of a recent medical reason, I started back and lost weight from 239-214. Hopefully, the weight loss will continue with a changed diet and increased exercise.
Old 09-10-10, 09:48 PM
Haku

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Roubaix Comp Compact

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started riding again 1 Oct 2009 I weighed 325, today 10 Sep 2010 I weigh 185, top that. I bike 325 to 375 miles a week.
Old 09-11-10, 04:53 AM
bengreen79
Allez means go.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Haku
I started riding again 1 Oct 2009 I weighed 325, today 10 Sep 2010 I weigh 185, top that. I bike 325 to 375 miles a week.
Congratulations, that's a tremendous accomplishment.
Old 09-11-10, 06:23 AM
Hulley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Haku
Holy Crap!!!! Thats Awesome! You must feel great, not only on your accomplishment but physically. Good job.
Old 09-12-10, 08:43 AM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Cycling by itself hasn't helped me lose much weight, if at all. Eating right and other, harder exercising has done better. More credit goes to eating right, though.
Old 09-12-10, 08:33 PM
wabbit
Sprockette

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I put on some weight over the winter, or the last year or so...partly due to a medication which increased my appetite. Not a huge amount, about 10 lbs. I am now off that med, and have also cut out a lot of stuff I used to eat...i have a sweet tooth. But I've all but cut out sweets, cut down a lot of salt, really changed my diet. My appetite for sweets has decreased for sure. Since the start of cycling season, i've lost almost 10 lbs so I'm back where i was. And I actually got a bit of a late start this year due to an early season injury!
Old 09-13-10, 09:45 AM
tligman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
w00t! I stepped back on the scale last week and it turns out that I've dropped another 5
Old 09-13-10, 11:40 AM
rnorris

Bikes: Marin Pt. Reyes, Gary Fisher HiFi Pro, Easy Racers Gold Rush recumbent, Cannondale F600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cumulatively about 40 pounds, the same 2 pounds migrates on and off me every year.... how does it keep finding me each time among all these people??
Old 09-13-10, 06:34 PM
Brian Sharpe

Bikes: Marin Larkspur / Giant Defy Alliance 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's been a combination of running, rowing (erg), cycling, strength training & soccer plus putting less food in my gob that has helped me shed 35lbs this year - I'm 5'10" and 200 lbs so I still need to drop another 20 lbs or so (or grow 4").
Old 09-19-10, 07:07 PM
Hulley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Observer
When I used to bike the Illinois Prairie path, I used to lose quite a bit of weight. But then every year, the dreaded Old Man Winter would come down from the arctic and imprison me for 5 long months with his deep freeze. And then of course I discovered that, within the state of Illinois, no matter how far I travelled from Chicago (even to places as far flung as Sycamore and DeKalb), I just never fit into any part of society, and that the entire state of Illinois is all one huge endless social desert! I also lost quite a noticeable bit of weight riding around everywhere in Fort Myers. And when I think of it, I think; man is Illinois really killing me! Illinois is literally sucking the life out of me. The statewide social desert, not fitting in anywhere in Illinois, Winter's deep freeze supermaximum security prison every November-April, not to mention the lakefront being on the other side of, and technically shielded from me by an endless, crime and gang ridden ghetto.

Another thing that hits me right in the face is that, at the same time that I want to be thin and attractive to all the ladies, I realize that in Illinois, if a man does not, or can not earn $90,000+ a year and work 40+ hours a week, losing weight will do him absolutely no good when it comes to attracting women as Illinois women marry only for money, and money only. Like literally, I know deep down that in Illinois, if I am not rich, being slender, or even being the sexiest, most physically attractive man in the neighborhood would do me no good.
Damn........
Old 09-19-10, 08:29 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Another thing that hits me right in the face is that, at the same time that I want to be thin and attractive to all the ladies, I realize that in Illinois, if a man does not, or can not earn $90,000+ a year and work 40+ hours a week, losing weight will do him absolutely no good when it comes to attracting women as Illinois women marry only for money, and money only. Like literally, I know deep down that in Illinois, if I am not rich, being slender, or even being the sexiest, most physically attractive man in the neighborhood would do me no good.
You're just looking for the wrong kind of women.

Trust me on this.
Old 09-19-10, 10:38 PM
travelmama

Bikes: Kona Ute, Nishiki 4130, Trek 7000, K2 Mach 1.0, Novara Randonee, Schwinn Loop, K2 Zed 1.0, Schwinn Cream, Torker Boardwalk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I used to bike the Illinois Prairie path, I used to lose quite a bit of weight. But then every year, the dreaded Old Man Winter would come down from the arctic and imprison me for 5 long months with his deep freeze. And then of course I discovered that, within the state of Illinois, no matter how far I travelled from Chicago (even to places as far flung as Sycamore and DeKalb), I just never fit into any part of society, and that the entire state of Illinois is all one huge endless social desert! I also lost quite a noticeable bit of weight riding around everywhere in Fort Myers. And when I think of it, I think; man is Illinois really killing me! Illinois is literally sucking the life out of me. The statewide social desert, not fitting in anywhere in Illinois, Winter's deep freeze supermaximum security prison every November-April, not to mention the lakefront being on the other side of, and technically shielded from me by an endless, crime and gang ridden ghetto.

I agree on looking for the wrong kind of women but you seem to have no self esteem. If you are a good guy in your own right, you should not have to worry about what the other folks are doing and just wait for things to come your way.
Old 09-19-10, 10:53 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Hulley
Cycling is a great (maybe the best) way to get in/stay in shape. How many of you got into cycling to lose weight, how much you lost, how long and did cycling turn into a way of life for you? My wife and I are getting back into cycling and was just wondering what cycling has done for you.
Prior to injuring my back and suffering nerve damage I had put in a season where I rode 16,000 km and at 42 was in some of the best shape of my life... was really looking at getting back into racing.

I was unable to ride for quite some time and this and a combination of medications caused me to gain over 20 pounds while losing a great deal of muscle mass but slowly and surely I managed to get back on a bike and ride short distances and gradually increase things to where I am now able to consider a century no big deal.

Have had a few periods during this recovery when I have been unable to ride and it is like starting over every time I spend time off my feet.

I have limited use of my left leg and always joke I do okay for a guy who only pedals with one leg.

It has helped me lose that little bit of extra weight I gained which would have been a lot more and stay in the best shape possible... I cannot engage in strenuous activities as these aggravate my back and will leave me in great pain and unable to do much of anything.

More than this... it is good for my mental health.

I am now 45 and I will never race and can't go as fast as I used to but am thinking I might try this randonneuring thing and maybe one day I will ride the 1200km Paris - Brest -Paris ride as when I am riding the pain is less than it is when I stand or walk.

Every km I ride is a good one as there was a time I thought I might never ride a bicycle again.
Old 09-19-10, 11:23 PM
GriddleCakes
Tawp Dawg

Bikes: '06 Surly Pugsley, '14 Surly Straggler, '88 Kuwahara Xtracycle, '10 Motobecane Outcast 29er, '?? Surly Cross Check (wife's), '00 Trek 4500 (wife's), '12 Windsor Oxford 3-speed (dogs')

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't get back into cycling to lose weight, but more in some youthfully naive attempt to right the wrongs in which I felt that I was complicit; for having worked in the oil fields where I kept my mouth shut about harmful practices that I saw and took part in, regarding both hazardous waste disposal and worker safety. After a while I no longer really thought that I was cycling my around the karmic wheel from enviro-wrong to eco-righteous, but thankfully by then I had begun to enjoy cycling for the simply joyful activity that it is.

In my first year commuting, I lost about 15 pounds, from 160 to 145. It also toned a lot of soft flesh into lean muscle. Biking turned me from a pudgy gamer into a happy, healthy commuting machine. Plus, although I eat pretty well, with a lot of fruits and veggies, I definitely drink too much beer. And it's mainly my cycling milage that has kept the threat of a burgeoning beer belly at bay.

Going off topic here, but y'all might want to read through Observer's post history (just skim it, it isn't long) before you expend anymore sympathy or advise on him. I've been around the 'net for a while (like way back in the old BBS days of '94 and yore) and like to think that I know a troll when I see one, but read and decide for yourselves if you think he's sincere.
Old 09-21-10, 08:26 PM
coldfeet

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not a lot, but then I don't need to lose a lot. Could do with dropping 10-15 lbs, and knocking 2-3% points of the body fat. On the other hand, I eat way too much, and would be in terrible shape if i didn't ride. people tell me I look up to 15 years younger than my age.
Old 09-23-10, 02:21 PM
big_al

Bikes: Trek 7.7 and Trek superfly Al Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started on july 9, 2010 at 298 pounds today 9.23.10 I am at 270 pounds as of this morning two pant sizes down from 46 to 42 and my goal is to be at 185 and stay there. I eat as good as I can and my cheating is minimal. It is such an amazing feeling that I cant describe it. I ride 12-13 miles seven days a week rain or shine and I feel great.....
Old 09-23-10, 03:08 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
didn't lose any weight but it helped me change my form factor. I recently dropped 8.5 lbs since 8/1 due to new PT job nites and weekends where I walk and lift things alot
Old 09-23-10, 03:08 PM
Dr. Banzai
Oscillation overthruster

Bikes: Cinelli Mash / CAAD9 5

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As of right now I'm down 55 pounds. 190. 20 to go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.