Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Horn, tooting my own and all that...whatever

Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Horn, tooting my own and all that...whatever

Old 08-17-11, 07:50 PM
  #26  
LemondFanForeve
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pasadena, CA(for now)
Posts: 1,102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great, informative interview Rob, it was fun to read.
LemondFanForeve is offline  
Old 08-17-11, 09:36 PM
  #27  
cricket1116
Everybody Loves a Fat Guy
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Laredo, Tx.
Posts: 177

Bikes: 2015 Felt B14, 2017 Lynskey Helix Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool interview, thanks for sharing. I believe the tooting is well deserved....
cricket1116 is offline  
Old 08-18-11, 04:50 AM
  #28  
kissTheApex
Senior Member
 
kissTheApex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 565

Bikes: Fuji Team 08

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Well deserved and late in coming Rob.
kissTheApex is offline  
Old 08-18-11, 05:11 AM
  #29  
triumph.1
Senior Member
 
triumph.1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: N Central Illinois
Posts: 1,289

Bikes: 12 Bianchi Oltre VDCM,11 Bianchi Cavaria, 13 Bianchi Cavaria,12 Bianchi infinito, couple vintage Bianchi's and a 1980 alan super record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nothing wrong with tooting your horn when you're good at something, congrats. I take it this is you?

http://www.psimet.com/about-us.html
triumph.1 is offline  
Old 08-18-11, 07:00 AM
  #30  
aham23
grilled cheesus
 
aham23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: 8675309
Posts: 6,951

Bikes: 2010 CAAD9 Custom, 06 Giant TCR C2 & 05 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wait, who is blowing who's horn?



Well done Boss. later.
__________________
aham23 is offline  
Old 08-18-11, 07:09 AM
  #31  
pchopper
Senior Member
 
pchopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
great interview! What kind of wheels did your mom end up buying
pchopper is offline  
Old 08-18-11, 07:15 AM
  #32  
motobecane69
Banned.
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,095
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
did someone say Rusty Trombone?

"I have adopted a philosophy that I should never have to chase down someone I want to give money to." The only semi negative thing I will say about Psimet is that some of us feel this way about you. You have ALWAYS made it clear that this isn't a full time gig for you and that turn around times may be a challenge so nobody can really bash you for it but I for one ended up building my own set of wheels after communication broke down (translation, I asked a couple of questions before wanting to pull the final trigger and didn't hear back).

I really hope you go full bore with what you do and get processes streamlined so that none of us have to chase you down to give you our money. You have a great reputation and people will pay you a premium for that so charge more or do whatever you hvae to do to make it happen!

Last edited by motobecane69; 08-18-11 at 07:29 AM.
motobecane69 is offline  
Old 08-18-11, 09:55 AM
  #33  
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.
Thread Starter
 
Psimet2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Elgin, IL
Posts: 20,593

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by triumph.1 View Post
Nothing wrong with tooting your horn when you're good at something, congrats. I take it this is you?

http://www.psimet.com/about-us.html
Yup
Originally Posted by motobecane69 View Post
did someone say Rusty Trombone?

"I have adopted a philosophy that I should never have to chase down someone I want to give money to." The only semi negative thing I will say about Psimet is that some of us feel this way about you. You have ALWAYS made it clear that this isn't a full time gig for you and that turn around times may be a challenge so nobody can really bash you for it but I for one ended up building my own set of wheels after communication broke down (translation, I asked a couple of questions before wanting to pull the final trigger and didn't hear back).

I really hope you go full bore with what you do and get processes streamlined so that none of us have to chase you down to give you our money. You have a great reputation and people will pay you a premium for that so charge more or do whatever you hvae to do to make it happen!
Agreed. I always acknowledge that as a failure on my end 100%. Hoping this is one more step to doing it all the time. If so....good communication becomes what puts food on my table/how I get paid. See what happens then.

FWIW - It's gotten a lot better. Not100% yet, but a lot better. There were a few months where I was 100% up to date on email. Behind again but not horrible...
__________________
PSIMET Wheels, PSIMET Racing, PSIMET Neutral Race Support, and 11 Jackson Coffee
Podcast - YouTube Channel
Video about PSIMET Wheels

Psimet2001 is offline  
Old 08-18-11, 10:02 AM
  #34  
haaseg
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 379

Bikes: 2010 FUJI SL-1 Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001 View Post
Behind again but not horrible...
What you should do is... every time you have an urge to refresh bikeforums.net in the browser, you should answer 1 email. If you're like me, you'll be caught up in no time.
haaseg is offline  
Old 08-18-11, 10:08 AM
  #35  
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.
Thread Starter
 
Psimet2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Elgin, IL
Posts: 20,593

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by haaseg View Post
What you should do is... every time you have an urge to refresh bikeforums.net in the browser, you should answer 1 email. If you're like me, you'll be caught up in no time.
That's good advice, but I actually do about 3-4. Still behind.

I have streamlined the business a LOT, but 2 areas that require my direct input are: determining the specification (email), and Tension and True. Now with all of my sponsored riders as well.....

Officially announcing I am sponsoring US Pro Chad Hartley (Kenda) for Cyclocross this year as well as "another big guy"...as he pursues Masters Worlds 55+ this year - not sure he wants that public yet.
__________________
PSIMET Wheels, PSIMET Racing, PSIMET Neutral Race Support, and 11 Jackson Coffee
Podcast - YouTube Channel
Video about PSIMET Wheels

Psimet2001 is offline  
Old 08-18-11, 10:14 AM
  #36  
triumph.1
Senior Member
 
triumph.1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: N Central Illinois
Posts: 1,289

Bikes: 12 Bianchi Oltre VDCM,11 Bianchi Cavaria, 13 Bianchi Cavaria,12 Bianchi infinito, couple vintage Bianchi's and a 1980 alan super record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001 View Post
That's good advice, but I actually do about 3-4. Still behind.
So the email I sent this morning should get an answer sometime.
triumph.1 is offline  
Old 08-18-11, 10:17 AM
  #37  
markrj
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great interview and very informative to us newbies.

Congrats!
markrj is offline  
Old 08-18-11, 10:32 AM
  #38  
motobecane69
Banned.
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,095
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001 View Post
Yup


Agreed. I always acknowledge that as a failure on my end 100%. Hoping this is one more step to doing it all the time. If so....good communication becomes what puts food on my table/how I get paid. See what happens then.

FWIW - It's gotten a lot better. Not100% yet, but a lot better. There were a few months where I was 100% up to date on email. Behind again but not horrible...
Good to hear. Also, a word of advice to you as you consider growing your business. NEVER OUTSOURCE YOUR CORE COMPETENCY. Obviously in your case its the actual building of the wheels. You could probably hire a college kid as an intern and help organize and answer some of the emails and bring someone else on that has basic knowledge about wheelbuilding and give them your crash course in your philosophy on how wheels should be built and allow them to handle the more technical emails. Then once a customer places a deposit, that is where you pick up the final communication and go over the nitty gritty and then you do all the actual wheelbuilding since that is your core competency.

Just my .02 I'm sure you've thought about it far more than I have.
motobecane69 is offline  
Old 08-18-11, 10:38 AM
  #39  
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.
Thread Starter
 
Psimet2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Elgin, IL
Posts: 20,593

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by motobecane69 View Post
Good to hear. Also, a word of advice to you as you consider growing your business. NEVER OUTSOURCE YOUR CORE COMPETENCY. Obviously in your case its the actual building of the wheels. You could probably hire a college kid as an intern and help organize and answer some of the emails and bring someone else on that has basic knowledge about wheelbuilding and give them your crash course in your philosophy on how wheels should be built and allow them to handle the more technical emails. Then once a customer places a deposit, that is where you pick up the final communication and go over the nitty gritty and then you do all the actual wheelbuilding since that is your core competency.

Just my .02 I'm sure you've thought about it far more than I have.
Yup....my "real" job is as a Lean Manufacturing Manager so I am constantly thinking about how to make it better. That's where i took the time to determine the two core copentencies or critical value added steps in the process - determination of spec and tension/true. I currently have a few team members who I have taught to lace, etc. They come over hang out, talk about racing and prep or lace wheels. They have fun and I get things done. ........

....been spending all morning doing a cyclocross kit order for the team and permitting 2 cyclocross races......
__________________
PSIMET Wheels, PSIMET Racing, PSIMET Neutral Race Support, and 11 Jackson Coffee
Podcast - YouTube Channel
Video about PSIMET Wheels

Psimet2001 is offline  
Old 08-18-11, 12:15 PM
  #40  
guadzilla
Dropped again
 
guadzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: A small tropical island
Posts: 3,459

Bikes: Damocles, Shiv, Lynskey, X-Fire, LHT, +

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your saddle must have been crowded with both you AND Lee Waldman on it. Hope y'all cuddled

Jokes apart, cool article, big guy.
guadzilla is offline  
Old 08-18-11, 12:18 PM
  #41  
caloso
Packfodding 3
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Posts: 38,032

Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 84 Posts
Please tell me you were blowing, not sucking, that tubular.
caloso is offline  
Old 08-18-11, 12:36 PM
  #42  
bonz50
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Antioch, IL
Posts: 2,330

Bikes: 2013 Synapse 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
well done sir!!! said many times, when it comes time for a new set of wheels I'm be calling you first. doesn't hurt that you're local to me as well!!!
bonz50 is offline  
Old 08-18-11, 12:54 PM
  #43  
simp77
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Jefferson, OR
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very cool! Congrats!
simp77 is offline  
Old 08-18-11, 01:32 PM
  #44  
CyLowe97
Up on the Down Side
 
CyLowe97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicago(ish)
Posts: 6,330
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Psimet, you should get some part time helpers. That would help out a lot in your customized wheel building endeavours.
CyLowe97 is offline  
Old 08-18-11, 02:03 PM
  #45  
aham23
grilled cheesus
 
aham23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: 8675309
Posts: 6,951

Bikes: 2010 CAAD9 Custom, 06 Giant TCR C2 & 05 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^^^ well played. later.
__________________
aham23 is offline  
Old 08-18-11, 02:09 PM
  #46  
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.
Thread Starter
 
Psimet2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Elgin, IL
Posts: 20,593

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
I kind of wish they had used one of these pictures:



Originally Posted by CyLowe97 View Post
Psimet, you should get some part time helpers. That would help out a lot in your customized wheel building endeavours.
....so I can spend all night having to say...

MOVE!
Enjoy your sweat shop procured chamois cream.
__________________
PSIMET Wheels, PSIMET Racing, PSIMET Neutral Race Support, and 11 Jackson Coffee
Podcast - YouTube Channel
Video about PSIMET Wheels


Last edited by Psimet2001; 08-18-11 at 02:19 PM.
Psimet2001 is offline  
Old 08-18-11, 02:21 PM
  #47  
calRider
Senior Member
 
calRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Pleasanton, CA
Posts: 242

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse SL1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From the article: "The fact that it doesn’t have the traditional roadie narcissism attached to it makes people feel more comfortable about trying it."


Ouch, baby...very Ouch!

Congrats on the interview.
calRider is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
GriffontheRock
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance
2
08-20-13 10:26 PM
Niles H.
Touring
7
04-23-13 09:42 PM
jril
Classic & Vintage
6
08-26-12 01:45 PM
psp
Introductions
1
07-15-08 08:37 AM
blank
BMX
12
06-26-05 06:40 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.