Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

I wish that I hadn't given my baby seat away!

Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Old 08-05-13, 09:15 AM
mr,grumpy 

Bikes: 1978(ish) Peugeot PRN10e, Specialized Tricross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 25 Posts

My son VASTLY prefers his trailer to his bike seat so when my friend needed it to haul her toddler around I gladly gave it up. Now, I really, really REALLY want to take the bike to the Hardware Store but the idea of dragging the trailer through congested down-town New England streets scares the bejeezus out of me.

1980ish Raleigh Marathon (Vintage Steel)
2006 Trek 820 (Captain Amazing)
2010 Specialized Tricross (Back in Black)
2008 Specialized Roubaix
Old 08-05-13, 02:17 PM
DAME

Bikes: '18 Trek Roscoe 8, '10 SOMA Double Cross, '12 Brompton M6R

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the same feeling. I stick to the sidewalks in those scenarios (gasp!). My son doesn't care and I feel safer.
Old 08-05-13, 04:32 PM
mr,grumpy 

I'm not even sure that there is a route with sidewalks all the way there. I know that my preferred route doesn't have them.

2008 Specialized Roubaix
Old 08-12-13, 09:35 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
I had a good friend in college (circa 1979) who commuted to school for a few miles on a hateful, narrow, busy, 2-lane, twisting, redneck infested highway and arrived at our first class frazzled every day. The road he took was the only sensible distance possible for him to cycle. A real dilemma for him. Then just by accident he found a discarded baby seat at the side of the road with someone's trash. He was tired of wearing a backpack full of books and school supplies and figured the baby seat would make a great backpack carrier. (See where this is going?)

So he attaches the baby seat, straps in his backpack, and heads down the Highway to Hell. Can you guess what happened? Everyone passing him gave him a mile of room, waited their turn, stopped cutting him off, throwing things at him, and blowing their horns. Yes, you should get that thing back from your friend and use it for carrying everything on your errands.
Old 08-12-13, 09:55 PM
mr,grumpy 

Originally Posted by JoeyBike
I had a good friend in college (circa 1979) who commuted to school for a few miles on a hateful, narrow, busy, 2-lane, twisting, redneck infested highway and arrived at our first class frazzled every day. The road he took was the only sensible distance possible for him to cycle. A real dilemma for him. Then just by accident he found a discarded baby seat at the side of the road with someone's trash. He was tired of wearing a backpack full of books and school supplies and figured the baby seat would make a great backpack carrier. (See where this is going?)

So he attaches the baby seat, straps in his backpack, and heads down the Highway to Hell. Can you guess what happened? Everyone passing him gave him a mile of room, waited their turn, stopped cutting him off, throwing things at him, and blowing their horns. Yes, you should get that thing back from your friend and use it for carrying everything on your errands.
Excellent story and great idea! People DO drive up on the opposite sidewalks to go around us when he's in the trailer. MOST do that is. It's the non-most ones that I worry about!

2008 Specialized Roubaix