Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

BAFANG Crank Drive Motor...

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Old 02-16-14, 06:36 PM
DAME

Bikes: '18 Trek Roscoe 8, '10 SOMA Double Cross, '12 Brompton M6R

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I haven't seen any mention of this motor on BikeForums, but there seems to be buzz on Endless-sphere. I like the thought of a crank drive motor and the looks are better than any of the other systems I've viewed. Comes in 350w and 750w. From some folks on endless sphere that currently have hub motors....they're now converts.

Endless-sphere: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/vie...p?f=28&t=50104

I also found a US based company importing and selling them: https://lectriccycles.com/

I'm not impressed by the fat bikes he has (or the cost), but the basic unit seems inexpensive enough for me to possibly make the jump to owning a system.

Thoughts? Reivews from someone on BikeForums?
Old 02-16-14, 08:21 PM
aidzbelty

Bikes: '13 Norco Yorkville

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't have any experience with it, but this is the one I am saving up for in converting my commuter. I plan on keeping the 7-speed Tourney on the rear and completely remove the front gears, but if I have extra then I will just convert to a Nexus hub so it will be an all-season commuter.

What kit are you planning on getting? The 350w setup seems fine for urban commute and powerful enough to handle hills, the 750w setup i nice too but I don't think I could get the most of it's value due to the 32kmh speed limit e-bike regulation from where I am.
Old 02-17-14, 05:23 AM
DAME

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm thinking the 350w model. It looks plenty powerful for my needs and batteries are more suited for my budget. I would appreciate having a torque sensor and might wait to see if one comes into production before buying.

One of the members on endless sphere installed one on a classic looking Pashley bike and it looked great. He had the battery stashed under the front basket and the motor/wires were well hidden. My biggest complaint about conversion kits is that it is hard to hide the wires connecting everything. Because the BMS is housed in the motor assembly, it looks cleaner.
Old 02-17-14, 09:03 PM
Bus Driver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am hot all over this. Ordered 750W version, arrives this Thursday. Batteries backordered till March, all from Lectric cycles, LeGrand specific. Great communication, support.
As a Frame Builder I am very cautious as to my build for this unit. But getting close, unspeneded MTB geometry/ gravel/ road ok kind of bike. More latter if desired.
Bus driver (Ted)
Old 02-18-14, 04:46 AM
DAME

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Definitely interested in seeing how the build turns out.
Old 02-18-14, 08:05 AM
DrkAngel

Bikes: Various "modded" eZips and multiple econversions

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Lightbulb

A "good" plug-and-play item, but ...
I prefer to actually build from basic components.

Actual "Crank Drive Motor ..." build for a ~$150 outlay.
Battery additional!

See - Crankin' It - Mid-Mounted Crank Drive
Old 02-24-14, 11:07 PM
UpRider

Bikes: 2008 Specialized sirrus pro, 2001 electric conv Trek 7700

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DAME
I haven't seen any mention of this motor on BikeForums, but there seems to be buzz on Endless-sphere. I like the thought of a crank drive motor and the looks are better than any of the other systems I've viewed. Comes in 350w and 750w. From some folks on endless sphere that currently have hub motors....they're now converts.

Endless-sphere: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/vie...p?f=28&t=50104

I also found a US based company importing and selling them: https://lectriccycles.com/

I'm not impressed by the fat bikes he has (or the cost), but the basic unit seems inexpensive enough for me to possibly make the jump to owning a system.

Thoughts? Reivews from someone on BikeForums?
I used the 350W from lectriccycles to convert my 2001 Trek 7700 cross bike. I ordered the 36v 14.5AH battery. The conversion went pretty well. I tore down the Trek to pretty much bare frame with just the existing fork and rear v-brake before I started. I kept the 9 speed XT rear derailleur but removed the front derailleur entirely. I switched out the front v-brake for a disc. Had to get a new front wheel to do that.
The Trek had integrated Shimano brake/shift levers. I had to remove them because the Bafang came with its own brake levers (incorporating the motor cutoff switches), and I no longer needed a front shift anyhow. I got a SRAM 9 speed twist shift for the rear derailleur on Amazon for $20.
Installing the motor: I had to buy a few tools to remove the cranks and bottom bracket. In hindsight it would have been cheaper to take it to the local bike shop and have them do that. 15 minutes work for them would be pretty cheap. Other common tools I already had such as allen wrenches, screwdrivers, chain tool, cable cutters, etc. You will need a spanner wrench such as Parks HCW-5 lock ring spanner to fasten the motor to your frame.
The kit came with NO installation instruction other than an exploded view of the parts showing how it fit on a bike. There is a very helpful Youtube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jf6BMf28ats
There is a pdf manual explaining how to use the LCD handlebar control to program the system. I finished the install on 2/13/2014. I'm in Denver and have had limited chances to ride due to weather, but have done 3 rides, 6 miles, 26 miles and 13 miles. I'm not a speed demon or a dirt bike guy. I ride for recreation and fitness. I'm 75 years old and the hills were getting steeper and longer every year. The e-bike has changed that. Two of the three rides I've done so far are rides that I hadn't done for several years. Now a piece of cake.
The LCD panel never showed any battery discharge at all - stayed on 4 bars even on the 26 mile ride. Battery full charge took about 2.5 hrs after that ride. Oh, and this motor is QUIET. The only noise I heard was normal chain and crank noise, meaning nearly silent. So far, so good.
UpRider

Last edited by UpRider; 02-25-14 at 09:12 AM.
Old 02-26-14, 06:28 AM
DAME

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
UpRider - you have a pic of the completed build?
Old 03-13-14, 05:10 PM
jaguarmk8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm thinking of buying a bafang BDS02 to put on one of my pedersen bicycles which has a back pedal brake... does it work? if not... which central drive motor could handle that type of brake?
Old 03-16-14, 01:00 PM
15rms

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
UpRider let me know if you would like to do some ebike riding in Denver. Would love to find a riding friend.
Old 03-20-14, 08:57 AM
Ypedal

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jaguarmk8
i'm thinking of buying a bafang BDS02 to put on one of my pedersen bicycles which has a back pedal brake... does it work? if not... which central drive motor could handle that type of brake?
Mid drive setups usually have freewheeling cranks, meaning the chain does not move when pedaling in reverse. . so no.. your coaster brake will not work if you use the kit cranks.

There are some kits, like the stokemonkey that use regular cranks and when the motor turns, the cranks move accordingly so you have to pedal at all times when the motor is engaged, otherwise you will get bruises !
Old 04-19-14, 07:49 PM
sculptingman

Bikes: Spot Ajax w 750watt Bafang BB motor

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just finished converting a Spot Ajax with the Bafang 750watt BB motor and a 48v 11ah battery.

it came out fantastic. Lots of power.

the Bottom Bracket drive is superior to every hub motor out there, because it allows you to run all that power thru whatever gear set you want on the rear.
the Spot comes with an 8 speed Alfine hub... Which is okay, as long as you don't input torque lower than 2.1:1... And as long as you back off power when shifting... But I will be swapping out the Alfine for the more robust Rohloff, or a NuVinci.

even as is, tho, this motor powers up a 28% grade under throttle alone, no problem.

the Bafang is also amazingly quiet. Thus far, very impressed with its performance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (102.7 KB, 114 views)

Last edited by sculptingman; 04-19-14 at 07:56 PM.
Old 08-30-16, 10:44 PM
bafangmotor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BAFANG Mid Motor Installation Video

actually the 48v 750w mid drive can reach the max watt in 1300W, that will be more cheap than BBSHD motor.
the low wattage mid drive motor, the TSDZ2 motor will be the best option, cheap price with high quality.

Last edited by bafangmotor; 08-31-16 at 01:46 AM.
Old 08-31-16, 04:40 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
My BaFang recently arrived, I havn't had time to install it. I did open it up and added grease to the internals: white lithium to the nylon and moly grease to the secondary reduction gear. Probably this weekend I will install the motor.
Old 08-31-16, 05:26 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
Robert, unless they've improved the tolerances, be careful when cinching the side plate with allen screws. There was a gap that requires a spacer (washer) or I would have bent the plate. Also, I had to really crank down on the spanner wrench to secure the motor to tha frame. First time it loosened up.