Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Palmetto Trail - South Carolina

Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 03-20-14, 10:31 AM
vXhanz
I'm Rad.

Bikes: 2008 Allez (Sold), 2009 Surly LHT (Sold), 2014 Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Has anyone ridden the Palmetto Trail in South Carolina? Or at least certain sections of it?

Palmetto Conservation Foundation

I realize there are some sections that are listed as unfinished, though I'm wondering if those sections are marked at all in some fashion or if it would be a complete crap shoot of a ride.

Palmetto Conservation Foundation
Old 03-20-14, 03:20 PM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
I've done some sections as part of other tours. It can be very rough and difficult to follow in sections. You're going to need a bike-packing mountain bike type rig to do the "whole thing". Of course there is no real "whole thing" because it is unfinished. It is interesting, and covers different terrain as is crosses the state. Study up if your planning on doing it. If you find gpx (gps) files post a link if can, I be interested in them.

Last edited by BigAura; 03-20-14 at 03:25 PM.
Old 03-20-14, 03:27 PM
vXhanz
I'm Rad.

Bikes: 2008 Allez (Sold), 2009 Surly LHT (Sold), 2014 Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigAura View Post
I've done some sections as part of other tours. It can be very rough and difficult to follow in sections. You're going to need a bike-packing mountain bike type rig to do the "whole thing". Of course there is no real "whole thing" because it is unfinished. It is interesting, and covers different terrain as is crosses the state.
Thanks for the information! I was thinking about picking up the trail at the Wateree Passage and then riding the length to the coast. I was kind of hoping I could do it on my cross bike, but some of the pictures I've seen look like the trail is pretty mixed and might be better suited to a MTB like you suggested.