Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Going Places where you need to dress up

Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Going Places where you need to dress up

Old 01-05-06, 08:31 PM
doobykeebler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay, funny story (for those other than yours truly):
Christmas day of this year I get a DWI and thus my license suspended for 30 days. I'm not an avid bike rider but I own a lower-end Raleigh moutain bike which I ride for fun around town and to work (both now and occasionally this past summer and fall). I'm a waiter at a restaurant and can't stand going to work sweaty and nasty and possibly soaked from a rainy bike ride so all previous suggestions in this thread are definitely being taken to heart at this point. Thanks all!

Since this little Christmas incident I have decided to give up my car, insurance, and license for the spring while I'm in school and to purchase a Trek 520 touring bike, as per a few reviews elsewhere in the forum, hoping it will be a big step up from the mountain bike on the road. I also plan to do a small tour of the piedmont and outerbanks of North Carolina with a friend over spring break (two or three days in each place). This is probably the wrong thread and forum, but any suggestions/feedback ya'll might have towards this purchase or commuting would be appreciated. Thanks again!
Old 01-05-06, 09:53 PM
crazybikerchick

Bikes: Devinci Caribou, Kona Dew Plus, Raleigh Twenty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For locking up, I ride a bike that's not an attractive theft target. I lock the frame + front wheel with the u-lock, and the frame + rear wheel with a cable lock. If I'm feeling paranoid I also thread the cable lock through the saddle.

For dressing up, it depends on how far I'm going and whether its uphill (will I sweat too much?), and how important it is not to look wrinkled at the destination. I live somewhere with good transit, so if I feel it won't work out well, I can transit instead usually. A bike with a chainguard is a bonus. Sometimes just changing shoes is sufficient (since shoes often get dirty if the road is dirty)
Old 01-05-06, 10:12 PM
STEEKER
dam this is fun !

Bikes: Hurricane Low Racer ! and a Masi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I have to go to a place and dress up I will use the transit system or a cab cause with my luck I'll mess up the pants on the chain I normaly bike every where or walk and if it is a really high end do da it does gather attention when riding a bike wearing a Kilt
Old 01-09-06, 07:22 AM
smithers

Bikes: GT palomar MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nice clothes?