Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike backpack (just for lunch and also able to hike)

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike backpack (just for lunch and also able to hike)

Old 05-12-18, 07:54 PM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Consider one of the Chrome "sling" style bags ?
easy to carry on bike or hike, expandable room, long wearing construction.
i've used one on bike, motor cycling, hiking day trips, nicely carries on my back - plenty of arm & shoulder freedom
Old 05-13-18, 01:46 PM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun View Post
My work food consists of up to 24oz coffee thermos, some sterilite boxes with yogurt, vegetables, salad, some loose fruit and veggies. 99% of time I don't buy stuff to eat and much of my food is low-energy density, so it will be voluminous. In addition i may need to take a pair of pants or a shirt with me.
this pack also serves for hiking and as a carry-on (or like a "purse" as second carry on) when i fly somewhere where i may hike. So larger size is good.
Sounds like its too much for a carry-on.
Old 05-29-18, 08:44 AM
mtb_addict 

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 3016 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun View Post
I just was at aldi today, but didn't look. Is it this one? It seems Aldi has the best value, but they only sell these items for a few weeks.
No. I guess Aldi doesn't sell it anymore. Mine has amesh panel like this Deuter below. Like air conditioning for your back.
Old 05-30-18, 08:08 PM
Teamprovicycle

Bikes: Specialized tarmac sl2 giant tcx zero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I got this one

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00XU1VI1Q/ref=sxts_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1527732435&sr=1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65

Any duffle bad pack should work
Old 06-01-18, 04:18 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict View Post
No. I guess Aldi doesn't sell it anymore. Mine has amesh panel like this Deuter below. Like air conditioning for your back.
aldi typically offers the best in their price category. This week they have a camping theme and have a hydration backpack similar to camel. Well, too small for me and doesn't have the mesh panel.

I did some more sending back After getting the hikelite 26 and the Osprey Tropos from amazon and returning both (sorry, Amazon). Both great in their kind, but I kind of decided to send them back and get a rack and strap my old backpack on. but then I thought 1% of my riding is commuting and the rack would be useless weight 99% of the time. then i saw Backcountry Edge has the hikelite 26 on sale for $75 ($100 MSRP) and I may use that ans also have a smaller hiking pack. so i ordered that (again) and used it today. It took all my food and coffee and didn't leave me sweating on my back (at least not more than the rest of my body). so this is a keeper. I never ever want to get another backpack without that mesh panel.

If you commute more than me (I only have 6 miles one way 1-2 times a week) or have to transport more, I doubt a backpack will be good.
Old 06-01-18, 11:11 PM
tajar66

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Camelback Mule fits everything I need for commuting a long day riding, hiking or ATV riding.
Old 06-02-18, 12:04 AM
Jock Crayaan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
I'm actually a Jersey Boy. Moved from Springfield, MA to Hartford, CT in '69 after college. Living in Lebanon, CT.
Sorry I missed this earlier. Don't log in here very often.

Cheers Bruce, Lebanon is a beautiful area, used to do some jeeping and fishing around there and Colchester years ago. Parts of CT are very nice once you're out of the cities. Used to do a lot of fishing at Twin Lakes in the NW part of the state too, gorgeous area. But sorry, I don't want to take this thread off topic...