Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

2 Speed Hub Reccomendation

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-05-18, 02:43 PM
Crona

Bikes: Diamondback Response

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,
I leant a friend a bike of mine to get around the college campus for this past year but it ended up getting stolen (cable lock). It had a SRAM Automatix 2 speed auto shifting hub which I had modded the shift point. It worked excellent, I really liked the clean simple setup with no cables.

Unfortunately it seems non replaceable since they are discontinued. Does anyone know where I may be able to find one in stock? Does anyone have a recomendation for something simular? I am not a fan of the kick back hubs, I dont want a cable shifter like a 3 speed, and the schlumph drive seems out of my price range.
Old 06-05-18, 08:41 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Here?
https://store.rivercitybicycles.com/...b-185181-1.htm
They show them as in stock, but I've found that a lot of bike-related web-pages don't get updated much, if ever.
Old 06-13-18, 03:58 PM
pcf

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have 5 Automatixs on various bikes, it is a shame they are no longer made. One of these is on a Fuji Royale I have for sale.

Sturmey Archer S2 is still a available, but it is a kickback shift.
Old 06-14-18, 10:19 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Pink Klein MTB, Phil Wood VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame, Proteus frame

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1177 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 29 Posts
Get a White Industries DOS ENO freewheel and manually shift it when needed.
Old 06-14-18, 01:22 PM
fietsbob 
coprolite

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Quoted: 6833 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 178 Posts
or a 2 speed internally geared crankset and a single speed hub.
Old 06-15-18, 07:23 PM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is not a hub gear suggestion....
how about a two speed (chainring) front deraileur and single rear cog ?
Old 06-18-18, 08:59 PM
Crona

Bikes: Diamondback Response

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I came close to considering a schlumph drive but I wanted to keep the overall cost of this bike down.

I started designing my own two speed hub. I think the sram really lacks in the bearings and shiftpoint adjustability. It also just seems larger than required. Planetary gears are proving to be the pricey point ($367.00). I may be able to find a cheap hub and gut it for the gears but I really dont like that idea. So im abandoning this project for now, maybe I will pick it up again when I get sick of the sram.

For now I was lucky enough to find a coasterbrake automatix hub on Ebay. Unfortunately the shipping costs as much as the hub. This bike will just be for riding on bike paths with my girlfriend. My hybrid is too easy and my cruiser is too slow to keep up. I think a 2 speed would be great with the amount of stops on these trails and the occasional hill. We only cruise at 12-16 mph so I may keep the low stock shiftpoint and gear it low.
Old 06-18-18, 09:17 PM
fietsbob 
coprolite

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Quoted: 6833 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 178 Posts
Sram is dropping your 2 speed hub, and all internal gear designs they got from Sachs, in the buy-out,

for the more lucrative higher end stuff, 1 by 12 off road , and race bike bits.

Sturmey Archer TW continues to make a products in that market niche Internal gear and kick back 2 speeds,
so look there for your replacement wheel , thru your LBS?

Old 06-19-18, 05:05 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Crona View Post
I came close to considering a schlumph drive but I wanted to keep the overall cost of this bike down.

I started designing my own two speed hub. I think the sram really lacks in the bearings and shiftpoint adjustability. It also just seems larger than required. Planetary gears are proving to be the pricey point ($367.00). I may be able to find a cheap hub and gut it for the gears but I really dont like that idea. So im abandoning this project for now, maybe I will pick it up again when I get sick of the sram.

For now I was lucky enough to find a coasterbrake automatix hub on Ebay. Unfortunately the shipping costs as much as the hub. This bike will just be for riding on bike paths with my girlfriend. My hybrid is too easy and my cruiser is too slow to keep up. I think a 2 speed would be great with the amount of stops on these trails and the occasional hill. We only cruise at 12-16 mph so I may keep the low stock shiftpoint and gear it low.
Yeah, Schlumpf drive works great, but very pricey. A more affordable alternative is the Patterson crank set.
https://www.pattersonbike.com/
The only drawback is that it won't work with a coaster brake as it freewheels.
The Schlumpf does not freewheel, so it does work with a coaster brake. I actually have a bike with a Schlumpf speed drive paired with a Sturmey Archer 2 speed coaster brake hub.