Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Smartphone apps for cycling.

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Smartphone apps for cycling.

Old 07-14-18, 08:40 PM
  #1  
robertj298
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
robertj298's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Smartphone apps for cycling.

I'm not for the idea of attaching my smartphone to my bicycle but I have a couple old smartphones that aren't connected to to a wireless network.
I know I can download Nokia Here for navigation because it uses gps only so I'm wondering if there would be any other apps that might be useful
that don't rely on a wireless network.
robertj298 is offline  
Old 07-14-18, 10:54 PM
  #2  
rgconner
Senior Member
 
rgconner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 1,154

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wahoo Fitness.
rgconner is offline  
Old 07-14-18, 11:03 PM
  #3  
wipekitty
vespertine member
 
wipekitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: from sea to shining sea!
Posts: 2,099

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 49 Posts
I use maps.me. You do have to initially download the maps for the regions you're interested in, but after that, maps are available for offline use.

I've never actually tried the navigation, but I've found it really useful for using GPS to figure out where I am when I'm lost out in the country out of cell service range.
wipekitty is offline  
Old 07-14-18, 11:31 PM
  #4  
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas
 
canklecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 9,054

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 110 Posts
Strava's free version has plenty of features so I haven't felt any need for the premium version. It uses GPS and the data can be uploaded later via wifi.

Wahoo Fitness for iPhone is excellent but the Android version was lacking at least one crucial feature last time I tried it -- auto pause/resume. And it seemed a bit buggy compared with the iOS version. I use Wahoo Fitness on my iPhone 4s, including for indoor trainer sessions. Then I'll upload to Strava later. It records workouts to your device or cloud if you prefer, or don't use Strava.

Ditto maps.me for basic navigation. It lacks some features of Google maps, but maps.me seems to be one of the better implementations of OsmAnd maps.

Google map is also available for offline use, but lacks some features that are available only with a data connection or wifi. An advantage to Google maps is our activities can be recorded and stored to our private timeline (synced later via wifi). No user intervention needed to start/pause/stop the recording. Turn it on by default and it runs. Some folks don't like this. I do because it can help provide a neutral, mute witness in the event of a collision or accident -- motor vehicle, animal collision, rider mistake, etc. It helped confirm my version of events when I was struck by a car a couple of months ago. It also records my many medical appointments related to the injury. And it's private unless I choose to share it. Google activities data *can* be transferred to Strava, but it's necessary to convert to a data format Strava can use. Takes a few steps. More trouble than it's worth if the ultimate goal is to upload to Strava. Easier to just use Strava, or another compatible app. Google activities timeline is more of a personal "Where was I on such and such day?" journal.

Cyclemeter is very good in both iOS and Android for only $10/year. It can record all kinds of data and is user customizable to suit preferred workouts. I had a subscription until this year when I let it lapse. I do miss the voice aids while riding, and the customizable timers and prompts for interval workouts. Cyclemeter can store data only on the device, if the user prefers, or upload to the cloud for reasonable privacy with backup, or to Strava. The only hitch is that you must maintain a subscription to access your old data, unless you transferred the data to your computer, cloud storage, etc.

I've tried a dozen other apps but none of them really clicked with me. Some folks swear by 'em. I mostly swore at 'em.
canklecat is offline  
Old 07-15-18, 12:02 AM
  #5  
2_i 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,475

Bikes: Trek 730, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M6R*2, Trek 830, Trek 720, Dahon HAT060, Dahon HT060,...

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I use Mapfactor Navigator for which I have the whole world downloaded. This is one app that never fails me, whether riding, driving in a car or sitting in an airplane.
2_i is online now  
Old 07-15-18, 03:35 AM
  #6  
dennis336
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 330

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker, Canondale Synapse (winter bike)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
Strava's free version has plenty of features so I haven't felt any need for the premium version. It uses GPS and the data can be uploaded later via wifi.

Wahoo Fitness for iPhone is excellent but the Android version was lacking at least one crucial feature last time I tried it -- auto pause/resume. And it seemed a bit buggy compared with the iOS version. I use Wahoo Fitness on my iPhone 4s, including for indoor trainer sessions. Then I'll upload to Strava later. It records workouts to your device or cloud if you prefer, or don't use Strava.

Ditto maps.me for basic navigation. It lacks some features of Google maps, but maps.me seems to be one of the better implementations of OsmAnd maps.

Google map is also available for offline use, but lacks some features that are available only with a data connection or wifi. An advantage to Google maps is our activities can be recorded and stored to our private timeline (synced later via wifi). No user intervention needed to start/pause/stop the recording. Turn it on by default and it runs. Some folks don't like this. I do because it can help provide a neutral, mute witness in the event of a collision or accident -- motor vehicle, animal collision, rider mistake, etc. It helped confirm my version of events when I was struck by a car a couple of months ago. It also records my many medical appointments related to the injury. And it's private unless I choose to share it. Google activities data *can* be transferred to Strava, but it's necessary to convert to a data format Strava can use. Takes a few steps. More trouble than it's worth if the ultimate goal is to upload to Strava. Easier to just use Strava, or another compatible app. Google activities timeline is more of a personal "Where was I on such and such day?" journal.

Cyclemeter is very good in both iOS and Android for only $10/year. It can record all kinds of data and is user customizable to suit preferred workouts. I had a subscription until this year when I let it lapse. I do miss the voice aids while riding, and the customizable timers and prompts for interval workouts. Cyclemeter can store data only on the device, if the user prefers, or upload to the cloud for reasonable privacy with backup, or to Strava. The only hitch is that you must maintain a subscription to access your old data, unless you transferred the data to your computer, cloud storage, etc.

I've tried a dozen other apps but none of them really clicked with me. Some folks swear by 'em. I mostly swore at 'em.

Got question on Google Maps ... I'll often download the area I'll be riding to an off-line Google Map. I mostly use it to find my current location in case I think I'm lost (I'm typically using a cue sheet for navigation or just exploring new roads without any cue or navigation aids). The one or two times I've tried to use the navigation/gps to take me back to a specific location, I found that it only gave 'driving' instructions (for a car), that is, I was told the cycling directions feature wasn't available for off-line maps. The problem is, driving directions could take you on a highway. Do you know if the cycling directions feature is available when using off-line Google Maps ... did I miss something? Thanks in advance.
dennis336 is offline  
Old 07-15-18, 04:05 AM
  #7  
50PlusCycling
Senior Member
 
50PlusCycling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 228
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I like Topeak Panobike. It keeps track of speed, time, elevation changes, temperature, and can map your ride. It also pauses automatically when you stop. I use the Topeak phone mount, which stays put, and is weatherproof without being too ugly. The mount is a little expensive, but the app is free.
50PlusCycling is offline  
Old 07-15-18, 08:00 AM
  #8  
rgconner
Senior Member
 
rgconner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 1,154

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
Strava's free version has plenty of features so I haven't felt any need for the premium version. It uses GPS and the data can be uploaded later via wifi.

Wahoo Fitness for iPhone is excellent but the Android version was lacking at least one crucial feature last time I tried it -- auto pause/resume. And it seemed a bit buggy compared with the iOS version. I use Wahoo Fitness on my iPhone 4s, including for indoor trainer sessions. Then I'll upload to Strava later. It records workouts to your device or cloud if you prefer, or don't use Strava.
.
Wahoo now does auto stop/start. Without a speed sensor and just GPS it is a little annoying because iif you stop for a break and walk around it will think you are starting and stopping.
rgconner is offline  
Old 07-15-18, 10:50 AM
  #9  
John_V 
Senior Member
 
John_V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 5,299

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Wahoo Fitness is a totally free app with no upgrade subscription required in order to get all the features of the app, including sensor pairing. Other cycling apps have free, limited feature versions that allow bare bones GPS features with some apps having advertisements appear until you pay for the subscription. My suggestion is to do a search in Google Apps or the AppStore for "bicycling apps" and see which one you fell will best fit your needs.
__________________
HCFR Cycling Team
Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
John_V is offline  
Old 07-15-18, 02:48 PM
  #10  
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas
 
canklecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 9,054

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 110 Posts
Ah, I see a recent update for Wahoo Fitness for Android. I'll try it again this afternoon.

While Wahoo Fitness records reasonably complete data, it does not display that data. The app displays only a very limited amount of data. To see more data you need to upload it to Strava or some other app or software that can use the data recorded by Wahoo Fitness.

However I see the same problem with Google still exists, per a recent complaint on the Google Play store: Wahoo Fitness data will not upload to Strava if the Strava account is linked to a Google account. Same problem I had the past two years before uninstalling Wahoo Fitness for Android. However Wahoo Fitness will upload to a Strava account that's linked to Facebook. Apparently Google determined Wahoo Fitness did not comply with some standard for security, but it's still not clear what the problem is.

BTW, Cyclemeter records even more data and can upload it to Strava. For example, Cyclemeter will incorporate basic weather data from whatever app is on your mobile device and attach that to a Strava log. Wahoo Fitness and some other apps still don't attach weather data.
canklecat is offline  
Old 07-15-18, 02:55 PM
  #11  
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas
 
canklecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 9,054

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by dennis336 View Post
Got question on Google Maps ... I'll often download the area I'll be riding to an off-line Google Map. I mostly use it to find my current location in case I think I'm lost (I'm typically using a cue sheet for navigation or just exploring new roads without any cue or navigation aids). The one or two times I've tried to use the navigation/gps to take me back to a specific location, I found that it only gave 'driving' instructions (for a car), that is, I was told the cycling directions feature wasn't available for off-line maps. The problem is, driving directions could take you on a highway. Do you know if the cycling directions feature is available when using off-line Google Maps ... did I miss something? Thanks in advance.
I recall having that problem too, at least on my old iPhone which didn't have a data plan. Offline Google maps defaulted to driving and there didn't appear to be any way to set it to cycling. That's one reason I switched to OsmAnd and maps.me for offline navigation.

I'll need to check Google maps on my Android phone set to offline mode only next time I ride to see whether it's possible, or easy, to switch to cycling mode.

Keep in mind that Google maps cannot be trusted to choose the safest cycling routes, online or offline. In some areas Google will choose the hardest possible route or even a dangerous route that involves heavy traffic, no shoulder or second lane to avoid traffic backing up behind you and attempting unsafe passes. Even with Google navigation it's essential to keep your eyes on stalks and head on a swivel.

The only reason I use Google maps (with my data enabled for near-realtime updates) is for exploring a new-to-me route. If I don't like the looks of a road when I reach that waypoint, I'll find another route. Google is good about updating quickly to suggest navigation to accommodate the new improvised route. Maps.me and OsmAnd do not work nearly as well -- they'll repeatedly suggest a U-turn and backtracking, rather than adapting and suggesting new routes.
canklecat is offline  
Old 07-15-18, 06:38 PM
  #12  
dennis336
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 330

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker, Canondale Synapse (winter bike)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
I recall having that problem too, at least on my old iPhone which didn't have a data plan. Offline Google maps defaulted to driving and there didn't appear to be any way to set it to cycling. That's one reason I switched to OsmAnd and maps.me for offline navigation.


I'll need to check Google maps on my Android phone set to offline mode only next time I ride to see whether it's possible, or easy, to switch to cycling mode.


Keep in mind that Google maps cannot be trusted to choose the safest cycling routes, online or offline. In some areas Google will choose the hardest possible route or even a dangerous route that involves heavy traffic, no shoulder or second lane to avoid traffic backing up behind you and attempting unsafe passes. Even with Google navigation it's essential to keep your eyes on stalks and head on a swivel.


The only reason I use Google maps (with my data enabled for near-realtime updates) is for exploring a new-to-me route. If I don't like the looks of a road when I reach that waypoint, I'll find another route. Google is good about updating quickly to suggest navigation to accommodate the new improvised route. Maps.me and OsmAnd do not work nearly as well -- they'll repeatedly suggest a U-turn and backtracking, rather than adapting and suggesting new routes.

Thanks for the response. Yeah, I've got an Android phone and I wasn't seeing a cycling option. Only used it to navigate once, when I bailed out of a ride and get back to the start. Fortunately, I knew roughly where to go so I could ignore instructions to get on the highway and just let it re-calculate. Thanks again.
dennis336 is offline  
Old 07-15-18, 06:45 PM
  #13  
dennis336
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 330

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker, Canondale Synapse (winter bike)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
I recall having that problem too, at least on my old iPhone which didn't have a data plan. Offline Google maps defaulted to driving and there didn't appear to be any way to set it to cycling. That's one reason I switched to OsmAnd and maps.me for offline navigation.


I'll need to check Google maps on my Android phone set to offline mode only next time I ride to see whether it's possible, or easy, to switch to cycling mode.


Keep in mind that Google maps cannot be trusted to choose the safest cycling routes, online or offline. In some areas Google will choose the hardest possible route or even a dangerous route that involves heavy traffic, no shoulder or second lane to avoid traffic backing up behind you and attempting unsafe passes. Even with Google navigation it's essential to keep your eyes on stalks and head on a swivel.


The only reason I use Google maps (with my data enabled for near-realtime updates) is for exploring a new-to-me route. If I don't like the looks of a road when I reach that waypoint, I'll find another route. Google is good about updating quickly to suggest navigation to accommodate the new improvised route. Maps.me and OsmAnd do not work nearly as well -- they'll repeatedly suggest a U-turn and backtracking, rather than adapting and suggesting new routes.

Thanks for the response. Yeah, I've got an Android phone and I wasn't seeing a cycling option. Only used it to navigate once, when I bailed out of a ride and get back to the start. Fortunately, I knew roughly where to go so I could ignore instructions to get on the highway and just let it re-calculate. Thanks again.
dennis336 is offline  
Old 07-15-18, 07:13 PM
  #14  
martianone
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Northern VT
Posts: 2,116

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Luddite perspective...... Why bugger up a bike with electronic gizmos?
martianone is offline  
Old 07-15-18, 11:27 PM
  #15  
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas
 
canklecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 9,054

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by rgconner View Post
Wahoo now does auto stop/start. Without a speed sensor and just GPS it is a little annoying because iif you stop for a break and walk around it will think you are starting and stopping.
Okay, I tried Wahoo Fitness for Android Sunday evening, along with Strava. Yup, Wahoo Fitness is much improved.

As you noted the auto pause/resume can be reactivated by walking around, and there doesn't appear to be a threshold setting -- some apps allow setting a fairly high threshold of speed, around 5 mph, to distinguish between riding and walking. Strava's threshold appears to be fairly high.

But I noticed when I uploaded both to Strava the data were nearly identical. So Strava is able to interpret Wahoo Fitness data to determine where the pauses should be so those slowdowns are ignored and not counted against the average riding speed.
canklecat is offline  
Old 07-16-18, 07:37 AM
  #16  
DynoD500_SR20-d
I rid* to cl**r my mi*d
 
DynoD500_SR20-d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Brooklyn NYC
Posts: 155

Bikes: Dyno D500-Ribble Endurance AL (2019) Tigara

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like Runtastic.
DynoD500_SR20-d is offline  
Old 07-16-18, 07:50 AM
  #17  
Slightspeed
Senior Member
 
Slightspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,551

Bikes: 1961 Legnano Gran Premio, 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 65 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by martianone View Post
Luddite perspective...... Why bugger up a bike with electronic gizmos?
With a smartphone, no gizmos reqd. Start the app, put the phone in your pocket, ride on, that being said, I love my Garmin. I get strange looks with it mounted on my old Raleigh or Legnano, but it works for me. Dont like gizmos? Don't use them.

The only phone app I use is Relive. It is a free app that produces an overhead 3D video of your ride along with elevation data, top speed, average speed, even heart rate. You can also add photos on the fly, though I've had trouble getting them to display at the point where I take them. You have to pause the app, take the picture, resume the app, continue riding. Too much of a dance to deal with, but the basic app works great. Check it out. My phone is an Android Galaxy S5. It will also take the data from your Garmin, if you want to clutter your bike with electronic gizmos, like do.
Heres a link to a recent ride, if I pasted it right, I am kind of a luddite, I always have trouble with the "Paste URL" on the forum.

https://www.relive.cc/view/g22292128388

Last edited by Slightspeed; 07-16-18 at 08:10 AM.
Slightspeed is offline  
Old 07-16-18, 08:46 AM
  #18  
ksryder
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,812

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 723 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
Okay, I tried Wahoo Fitness for Android Sunday evening, along with Strava. Yup, Wahoo Fitness is much improved.

As you noted the auto pause/resume can be reactivated by walking around, and there doesn't appear to be a threshold setting -- some apps allow setting a fairly high threshold of speed, around 5 mph, to distinguish between riding and walking. Strava's threshold appears to be fairly high.

But I noticed when I uploaded both to Strava the data were nearly identical. So Strava is able to interpret Wahoo Fitness data to determine where the pauses should be so those slowdowns are ignored and not counted against the average riding speed.
Strava uses the time stamps within the GPS point itself, and ignores the Wahoo app's time calculations.
ksryder is offline  
Old 07-16-18, 06:58 PM
  #19  
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas
 
canklecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 9,054

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder View Post
Strava uses the time stamps within the GPS point itself, and ignores the Wahoo app's time calculations.
Thanks, that explains the differences. I ran Strava and Wahoo Fitness yesterday (Android phone). Both recorded similar distance, off by only 1/10 mile. But Strava guesstimated my average speed at 14.7 mph, which seemed about right for my leisurely pace in hot weather -- and my cheap bike computer agreed.

But Wahoo Fitness said 11.6 mph -- and also continued recording my movement in my apartment before I remembered to finish and close the ride log. So Wahoo Fitness' auto pause/resume has a much lower threshold than Strava.

When I used Cyclemeter last year it tended to overestimate my average speed, possibly because the threshold for auto pause/resume was set fairly high, probably above 5 mph. So when my cycling speed dropped below my usual 7-8 mph pace on a steep climb, Cyclemeter regarded me as stopped until my speed picked up again. But as you've described, when Cyclemeter logs were uploaded to Strava the numbers were nearly identical to whatever I recorded directly to Strava.
canklecat is offline  
Old 07-16-18, 07:44 PM
  #20  
JohnDThompson 
Old fart
 
JohnDThompson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Appleton WI
Posts: 20,407

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1686 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 39 Posts
Samsung's "Health" app has a cycling module that does all I need. Came with the phone and doesn't show advertising. What's not to like?
JohnDThompson is offline  
Old 07-17-18, 08:15 AM
  #21  
pcf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 233
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use Bike Maps on my iPhone. Works great, gives a good summary of each ride.
pcf is offline  
Old 07-17-18, 08:57 AM
  #22  
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster
 
DomaneS5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 569

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
MapMyRide on Android works for me... along with a Fitbit fitness tracker to track heart rate.
DomaneS5 is offline  
Old 07-17-18, 09:15 AM
  #23  
OBoile
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,252
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 25 Posts
If Wahoo Fitness has the auto-pause working, that's probably what I would go for. If you want something that does more, but is less user friendly, IpBike is good. It does pretty much anything a regular cycling computer can, but definitely takes a bit to get used to.
OBoile is offline  
Old 07-18-18, 09:40 PM
  #24  
robertj298
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
robertj298's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks everyone. I tried out the Wahoo Fitness and it worked out very well using GPS alone and it did auto pause.
robertj298 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
T34418L3one
Road Cycling
3
07-04-12 03:06 PM
ilmooz
Advocacy & Safety
13
06-19-08 06:24 AM
Serendipper
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
5
08-06-06 04:56 PM
SHOOP
Foo
269
02-20-06 10:47 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.