Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

BikeFlights timing reliable?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

BikeFlights timing reliable?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-18, 10:58 AM
markjenn

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
I've always wondered how close you need to be with the weight. I made a rough estimate of 45-lbs on my last shipment (25-lb bike, 10-lb box/packing, 10-lb of gear) but never weighed the packed box. I suspect it might have been 50 or even 55. BF didn't seem to care.

- Mark
Old 09-27-18, 11:10 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Originally Posted by markjenn
I've always wondered how close you need to be with the weight. I made a rough estimate of 45-lbs on my last shipment (25-lb bike, 10-lb box/packing, 10-lb of gear) but never weighed the packed box. I suspect it might have been 50 or even 55. BF didn't seem to care.

- Mark
I have never weighed my boxed bike either. Since the price I got was not affected by me selecting 70 lbs. instead of a lesser, more realistic weight I went with the 70 lb. amount all four times to be on the safe side. My fear was that if I underestimated the weight and FedEx decided to weigh the box, the shipment would be delayed. That's why I like to play around with the on-line rate quote function. It only takes a few extra minutes to get quotes at different weights for the same O-D pair.
Old 09-27-18, 12:11 PM
schoolboy2 
Easily Led Astray

Bikes: Trek 5200, Trek Domane 5.2, Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I've always had good experience with Bikeflights, but in this instance, you're cutting it so close that if there's any hiccup in the process (i.e. weather), your plans will be trashed. At this point, I'd use the Bikeflights box to take the bike with you on the flight. Do be aware that TSA will definitely open your bike box. Put any small items (screws, nut, etc.) in a Zip-Lok bag and tape them to the frame. The box is big and isn't charged by weight (as long as you stay below 70? pounds) but rather by cubic volume. Feel free to add additional gear.

Good Luck!