Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Why scooters may be more popular than bikes

Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Why scooters may be more popular than bikes

Old 11-17-18, 04:24 PM
  #76  
tandempower
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 4,369
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8070 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 350htrr View Post
People do not like to use public transportation and wait for scheduled rides... win for the car.
People don't like inclement weather so they like enclosed transport... win for the car.
People don't want to sweat riding bicycles... win for the car.
people like to show their wealthÖ win for the car.
and so on and so on...
What does all that have to do with the concept of a lowest common denominator?
tandempower is offline  
Old 11-17-18, 04:30 PM
  #77  
350htrr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Canada, PG BC
Posts: 3,715

Bikes: 27 speed oryx with over 39,000Km on it, 11,000Km with a BionX assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by tandempower View Post
What does all that have to do with the concept of a lowest common denominator?
Cars seem to be what works well/best for most of the people, thus... cars are what most people use to get from A to B, (lowest common denominator)... Not the other means of transport that IS available.
350htrr is offline  
Old 11-17-18, 04:44 PM
  #78  
tandempower
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 4,369
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8070 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 350htrr View Post
Cars seem to be what works well/best for most of the people, thus... cars are what most people use to get from A to B, (lowest common denominator)... Not the other means of transport that IS available.
I think you just mean that it is popular. Using the term 'lowest common denominator' is superfluous. It doesn't seem to refer to anything more specific than popularity and all the factors that cause it and obstruct deviation from what's established as popular culture.
tandempower is offline  
Old 11-17-18, 05:27 PM
  #79  
350htrr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Canada, PG BC
Posts: 3,715

Bikes: 27 speed oryx with over 39,000Km on it, 11,000Km with a BionX assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by tandempower View Post
I think you just mean that it is popular. Using the term 'lowest common denominator' is superfluous. It doesn't seem to refer to anything more specific than popularity and all the factors that cause it and obstruct deviation from what's established as popular culture.
You could look at it that way. I look at it as what works for most people as transportation, a bicycle can work, a bus can work, a train can work walking can work... and yet most people choose a car, to me that makes a car the lowest common denominator as to what works for people to go from A to B... But, maybe my understanding of English is not as good as I think it is...
350htrr is offline  
Old 11-21-18, 11:27 AM
  #80  
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 27,752

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 45 Posts
For those who are invested mentally or financially in the success of rental scooters as a business enterprise there is a museum you might find enlightening.


https://curiosity.com/topics/the-mus...ops-curiosity/
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 11-24-18, 07:07 AM
  #81  
Walter S
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA. USA
Posts: 3,830

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1014 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
People don't want to pedal. People don't want to do work on the way to work. People don't want to work up a sweat on the way to the store. People do not want that much physical exertion.
That's the bottom line. Look around at the huge number of e-scooters in just the past few months. The Atlanta Beltline looks like a e-scooter infection run amok with thousands of new faces that wouldn't be caught dead "exercising" but don't mind at all holding down a button and riding around.
Walter S is offline  
Old 11-24-18, 12:38 PM
  #82  
tandempower
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 4,369
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8070 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter S View Post
That's the bottom line. Look around at the huge number of e-scooters in just the past few months. The Atlanta Beltline looks like a e-scooter infection run amok with thousands of new faces that wouldn't be caught dead "exercising" but don't mind at all holding down a button and riding around.
I find this aspect of escooters so interesting!

It's the smallest-possible electric motorized vehicle you can 'drive,' unless you consider something like e-skates.

Finally it seems like there's some efficiency-consciousness in the motorized population. It's like people are asking themselves, "what is the minimum I need to do to motor from A to B?" and the answer turns out to just involve a small battery-powered electric motor with handlebars and a throttle button.

Most of what you pay for (and lug around with you) in a car is furniture, upholstery, roof, windows, and a bunch of other built-in accessories. Moving in a simpler direction has a timeless appeal on many different levels, and it can be done in so many different ways.
tandempower is offline  
Old 11-28-18, 04:19 PM
  #83  
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 41,928

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6833 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 214 Times in 178 Posts
Coast Guard Town

Only seen one, powered, here, ridden by a 'Coastie',
probably because they have room to stow it aboard ship.
fietsbob is offline  
Old 11-28-18, 07:03 PM
  #84  
PaulH
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 3,546
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
No way I'm going to spend a half hour standing up on my way to work. I don't mind pedaling as long as I get to sit down.

Last edited by PaulH; 11-30-18 at 08:57 PM.
PaulH is offline  
Old 11-28-18, 07:06 PM
  #85  
350htrr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Canada, PG BC
Posts: 3,715

Bikes: 27 speed oryx with over 39,000Km on it, 11,000Km with a BionX assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter S View Post
That's the bottom line. Look around at the huge number of e-scooters in just the past few months. The Atlanta Beltline looks like a e-scooter infection run amok with thousands of new faces that wouldn't be caught dead "exercising" but don't mind at all holding down a button and riding around.
E-Bikes are legally still bicycles, Scooters are not...
350htrr is offline  
Old 11-28-18, 07:39 PM
  #86  
bensonthetiger
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The idea of scooters and shared scooters isn't horrible. The speed of their proliferation and lack of regulation are at issue. In Atlanta, there are sometimes a dozen scooters on the intersection I live on in town. It's difficult to find them in good weather as everyone's using them or they are dispersed elsewhere, but as it's getting colder, they are piling up with little to no use all day. They represent a safety hazard without proper helmets and the grey area of do you ride them on sidewalk or street, but until more cities/states crack down on either scooter users or the scooter companies to enforce stronger safety measures, I believe injuries will only increase.
bensonthetiger is offline  
Old 11-29-18, 12:20 AM
  #87  
KraneXL
 
KraneXL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: La-la Land, CA
Posts: 3,187

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2810 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 54 Posts
Not everywhere. Some countries require a license and insurance to ride one.
KraneXL is offline  
Old 11-30-18, 10:58 PM
  #88  
Mobile 155
Senior Member
 
Mobile 155's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: So Cal
Posts: 5,016

Bikes: 72-76 Peugeot, 89 Klein Quantum Road Bike, 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1432 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 31 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by bensonthetiger View Post
The idea of scooters and shared scooters isn't horrible. The speed of their proliferation and lack of regulation are at issue. In Atlanta, there are sometimes a dozen scooters on the intersection I live on in town. It's difficult to find them in good weather as everyone's using them or they are dispersed elsewhere, but as it's getting colder, they are piling up with little to no use all day. They represent a safety hazard without proper helmets and the grey area of do you ride them on sidewalk or street, but until more cities/states crack down on either scooter users or the scooter companies to enforce stronger safety measures, I believe injuries will only increase.
Much the same here. The companies seem to feel they have to right to just flood the street with the things.

https://nbcpalmsprings.com/2018/11/3...CFKGjfTOzhV4YE
Mobile 155 is offline  
Old 12-01-18, 02:41 PM
  #89  
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter
 
JoeyBike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Orleans, LA USA
Posts: 6,872

Bikes: Surly LHT, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
And, just when you thought your trails were a safe haven...

https://www.statesman.com/news/20181...on-some-trails

"Next month, a pilot program will allow both dockless scooters and electric bikes to run on several trails maintained by the Parks and Recreation Department."
Joggers and motorized vehicles, in the hands of amateurs, confined to a narrow space. Oil and vinegar with a touch of gasoline. All we need is some static electricity and....

JoeyBike is offline  
Old 12-01-18, 10:04 PM
  #90  
tandempower
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 4,369
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8070 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155 View Post
Much the same here. The companies seem to feel they have to right to just flood the street with the things.

https://nbcpalmsprings.com/2018/11/3...CFKGjfTOzhV4YE
Has any automaker ever felt otherwise with their motor-vehicles?
tandempower is offline  
Old 12-01-18, 10:58 PM
  #91  
Mobile 155
Senior Member
 
Mobile 155's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: So Cal
Posts: 5,016

Bikes: 72-76 Peugeot, 89 Klein Quantum Road Bike, 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1432 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 31 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by tandempower View Post
Has any automaker ever felt otherwise with their motor-vehicles?
show me the city that woke up one morning to find rental cars parked all over the city with no business license. Take your time I will wait for the link. It will help you answer your own question.
Mobile 155 is offline  
Old 12-02-18, 09:01 AM
  #92  
Dahon.Steve
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 7,135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter S View Post
That's the bottom line. Look around at the huge number of e-scooters in just the past few months. The Atlanta Beltline looks like a e-scooter infection run amok with thousands of new faces that wouldn't be caught dead "exercising" but don't mind at all holding down a button and riding around.
As someone who uses a regular non-electric kick scooter, I can say for certain that your legs get stronger with each use! Although I only use my Xootr once a month, I actually go faster after the third or fourth use. I'm not as fast as an electric scooter but I've seen kids go just as fast as bike messengers! Personally, I can keep up with slow hybrid bike riders and that's with the limited amount of use. If I used one daily for a couple of months, I would be almost as fast as an electric scooter.

The main reason I haven't purchased an electric scooter is because my needs are taken care of by a regular kick scooter when used with public transit. Unless your trip is more than 2 miles, a standard kick scooter is ideal. The time saved between a electric and non-electric kick scooter over the course of 1 mile is probably less than 5 minutes.

I would like to test ride one of these electric kick scooters. Although I wouldn't buy one because because of their high cost but the fact I don't have to lug it everywhere and just leave it on the street is a huge attraction.

Last edited by Dahon.Steve; 12-02-18 at 09:11 AM.
Dahon.Steve is offline  
Old 12-02-18, 09:45 AM
  #93  
tandempower
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 4,369
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8070 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155 View Post


show me the city that woke up one morning to find rental cars parked all over the city with no business license. Take your time I will wait for the link. It will help you answer your own question.
You're shifting the issue away from the fact that automakers have always just produced cars and sold them into local markets. It was always up to local people and governments to deal with the influx, manage the infrastructure, etc. The governmental costs of providing infrastructure for driving are enormous and it's gotten to a point where various contractors make it into an industry to draw public infrastructure funding for the sake of their own financial gain. In reality, it is tax payers and the environment shouldering the burden of all the cars and trucks dumped onto roads.
tandempower is offline  
Old 12-02-18, 10:54 AM
  #94  
jon c. 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 3,731
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 25 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by tandempower View Post
You're shifting the issue away from the fact that automakers have always just produced cars and sold them into local markets.
That really isn't the issue being discussed in this thread.
jon c. is online now  
Old 12-02-18, 11:43 AM
  #95  
Mobile 155
Senior Member
 
Mobile 155's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: So Cal
Posts: 5,016

Bikes: 72-76 Peugeot, 89 Klein Quantum Road Bike, 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1432 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 31 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by tandempower View Post
You're shifting the issue away from the fact that automakers have always just produced cars and sold them into local markets. It was always up to local people and governments to deal with the influx, manage the infrastructure, etc. The governmental costs of providing infrastructure for driving are enormous and it's gotten to a point where various contractors make it into an industry to draw public infrastructure funding for the sake of their own financial gain. In reality, it is tax payers and the environment shouldering the burden of all the cars and trucks dumped onto roads.
no, you are conflating your anti car stance with a company coming into town and dropping off their product without concern to city regulations. Show me the city that has had to deal with rental cars parked all over town just where ever they want without city input. You asked the question?
Mobile 155 is offline  
Old 12-02-18, 12:26 PM
  #96  
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 27,752

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c. View Post
That really isn't the issue being discussed in this thread.
The alleged or suspected sins of the automakers and the people who buy or want their product is always the issue with TP, no matter what issue is being discussed in a thread.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 12-02-18, 12:34 PM
  #97  
tandempower
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 4,369
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8070 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155 View Post
no, you are conflating your anti car stance with a company coming into town and dropping off their product without concern to city regulations. Show me the city that has had to deal with rental cars parked all over town just where ever they want without city input. You asked the question?
When has any automaker ever concerned themselves with anything besides maximizing their production output, sales, and revenue?

You have yourself said that it's not a company's job to take responsibility for the effects of its products and their usage, yet you are blaming these scooter/bike share companies for what is in your opinion irresponsible corporate behavior.
tandempower is offline  
Old 12-02-18, 01:55 PM
  #98  
Mobile 155
Senior Member
 
Mobile 155's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: So Cal
Posts: 5,016

Bikes: 72-76 Peugeot, 89 Klein Quantum Road Bike, 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1432 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 31 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by tandempower View Post
When has any automaker ever concerned themselves with anything besides maximizing their production output, sales, and revenue?

You have yourself said that it's not a company's job to take responsibility for the effects of its products and their usage, yet you are blaming these scooter/bike share companies for what is in your opinion irresponsible corporate behavior.
I donít have to concern myself with it because the community already has. Regulations for where transportation devices can and can not be operated. I have also posted links with official community concerns. I ask one more time show me where a city has had to make a cease and desist order for rental cars like they have with Escoiters and Ebikes. The subject was scooters in the OP as I read it. I didnít drift out of the lane you did.
Mobile 155 is offline  
Old 12-02-18, 03:41 PM
  #99  
tandempower
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 4,369
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8070 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155 View Post


I donít have to concern myself with it because the community already has. Regulations for where transportation devices can and can not be operated. I have also posted links with official community concerns. I ask one more time show me where a city has had to make a cease and desist order for rental cars like they have with Escoiters and Ebikes. The subject was scooters in the OP as I read it. I didnít drift out of the lane you did.
The automotive culture has had the various levels of government catering to it since Model T times. Eisenhower launched the interstate highway system to try to move motor-traffic out of the cities onto the highways, among other reasons. Ever since mass production of automobiles began, governments have been struggling with what to do with them all. The companies producing them were not concerned with anything except making money with them and lobbying governments to support them in doing so. As a result, cars and trucks litter so many landscapes, along with the pavement that's been poured for them as their red carpet. Only the fact that they've become culturally normalized is it not blatantly obvious what a huge pile of metal and pavement they form almost everywhere you go.
tandempower is offline  
Old 12-02-18, 04:40 PM
  #100  
Mobile 155
Senior Member
 
Mobile 155's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: So Cal
Posts: 5,016

Bikes: 72-76 Peugeot, 89 Klein Quantum Road Bike, 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1432 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 31 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by tandempower View Post
The automotive culture has had the various levels of government catering to it since Model T times. Eisenhower launched the interstate highway system to try to move motor-traffic out of the cities onto the highways, among other reasons. Ever since mass production of automobiles began, governments have been struggling with what to do with them all. The companies producing them were not concerned with anything except making money with them and lobbying governments to support them in doing so. As a result, cars and trucks litter so many landscapes, along with the pavement that's been poured for them as their red carpet. Only the fact that they've become culturally normalized is it not blatantly obvious what a huge pile of metal and pavement they form almost everywhere you go.
you could have saved time and effort by just admitting you are trying to avoid admitting you fellow citizens are not impressed with a business practice that reminds them of abandoned shopping carts. So you cannot provide links to rental cars just left on the street, in parks or in front of apartments. I didnít think so.

starting a subject for debate and dragging it into a diatribe against societies favored treatment of a different subject is intellectual bate and switch.

Last edited by Mobile 155; 12-02-18 at 04:45 PM.
Mobile 155 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.