Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Books, Movies, Music & Entertainment
Reload this Page >

📽️ A famous or epic film you haven't seen yet?

Books, Movies, Music & Entertainment Do we really need a description for this forum?

📽️ A famous or epic film you haven't seen yet?

Old 12-13-18, 12:36 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2811 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 54 Posts
📽️ A Famous or Epic film You Haven't Seen Yet?

What famous film that you always here people refer to or talk about that you haven't yet seen?

As someone who actually studied film in school I'm ashamed to say I haven't yet seen "Citizen Kane." Maybe I should make that a 2019 resolution?

Anyway, I finally did designate one weekend and watch that other famous film "Gone With the Wind." Speaking of Christmas, I've never seen "Its A Wonderful Life" either.
Old 12-13-18, 12:56 PM
caloso
Packfodding 3

Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1816 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
I have never seen Gone With The Wind. It always struck me as too long and too melodramatic. I guess I should finally watch it.
Old 12-13-18, 01:02 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Breezer Radar

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso View Post
I have never seen Gone With The Wind.
That's what I was going to say!
Old 12-13-18, 02:36 PM
colorider
smorenivore

Bikes: '06 Novara Divano, '96 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I've never seen ET and don't really plan to.
Old 12-13-18, 11:04 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Quoted: 2772 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 116 Posts
The Battleship Potemkin
Birth of a Nation
The Fountainhead

If I've seen any Star Wars or Star Trek movie made in the past 10 years I must have forgotten them already.
Old 12-14-18, 08:33 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 47 Posts
I've been meaning to see Star Wars, but I've been busy
Old 12-14-18, 09:31 AM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 771 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
I refuse to see Titanic.
Old 12-14-18, 11:32 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 46 Posts
I finally got to see the 1925 documentary Grass, A Nation's Battle for Life, filmed by Merian C. Cooper and Ernest Schoedsack (the men who made the movie King Kong). Ever since I read in the book, Living Dangerously: The Adventures of Merian C. Cooper, Creator of King Kong it had been on wish list of films to see. Just this month I discovered that it was being streamed on Fandoor. The film was well worth the wait and the price of a year's subscription (which was half price at $25 for subscribers to the late, great Film Struck.)

More on Grass at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grass_(1925_film)

https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/g...attle-for-life
Old 12-14-18, 11:32 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Aubergine View Post
I refuse to see Titanic.
Your loss.
Old 12-14-18, 11:38 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by caloso View Post
I have never seen Gone With The Wind. It always struck me as too long and too melodramatic. I guess I should finally watch it.
You might find out that it is not too long and too melodramatic. That is the advantage of actually watching movies to find out about their content and quality, rather than however you normally arrive at your conclusions about movies you haven't seen.
Old 12-14-18, 11:40 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
The Battleship Potemkin
Birth of a Nation
The Fountainhead

If I've seen any Star Wars or Star Trek movie made in the past 10 years I must have forgotten them already.
Seen 'em all. Recommend that you put the 1915 version of Birth of a Nation at the top of the list.
Old 12-14-18, 03:07 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 6353 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL View Post
What famous film that you always here people refer to or talk about that you haven't yet seen?

As someone who actually studied film in school I'm ashamed to say I haven't yet seen "Citizen Kane." Maybe I should make that a 2019 resolution?

Anyway, I finally did designate one weekend and watch that other famous film "Gone With the Wind." Speaking of Christmas, I've never seen "Its A Wonderful Life" either.
Finally saw Its a Wonderful Life in it's entirety a year ago... damn long film with a lot more "grief" in it than I remembered. Really depressing until it all gets wrapped up in the end. I had always seen bits and pieces of it, but never the entire thing from start to finish.

Saw The Battleship Potemkin in college (and got credit for that too... )

Here's a bit of an oddity... "Knife in the Water" Roman Polanski 1962
Old 12-14-18, 03:19 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Litespeed T2 Disc, Fondirest P4 Carbon, Fuji Cross 2.0, Specialized Fatboy

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 45 Posts
I've never seen Jaws......just kidding, I've watched it hundreds of times.
Old 12-14-18, 08:37 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2811 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax View Post
Didn't see it until 20 years later. Actually, saw it after films 2 and 3. Go figure.
Originally Posted by genec View Post
Finally saw Its a Wonderful Life in it's entirety a year ago... damn long film with a lot more "grief" in it than I remembered. Really depressing until it all gets wrapped up in the end. I had always seen bits and pieces of it, but never the entire thing from start to finish.
Same. I go house visiting during the holidays and I glance bits of it on the tele. Maybe I can sit down before this Christmas?

Saw The Battleship Potemkin in college (and got credit for that too... )

Here's a bit of an oddity... "Knife in the Water" Roman Polanski 1962
Required viewing for film majors or as an elective under Cinema Appreciation.
Old 12-14-18, 10:33 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax View Post
I haven't quite had the chance to catch that one either.
Old 12-15-18, 09:19 AM
dynodonn
Banned.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1253 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Dr Strangelove........in it's entirety, just bits and pieces over the years.

I watched Fail Safe first, and I just wasn't interested in watching Strangelove.
Old 12-15-18, 09:33 AM
cb400bill
Administrator

Bikes: Fuji SL 2.1 (carbon fiber), Pinarello Stelvio (steel), Cannondale Synapse (aluminum)

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1252 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 28 Posts
I've never seen any of the Godfather movies. Or GWTW. Or Citizen Kane. Or Spinal Tap.
Old 12-15-18, 09:43 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 3594 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 121 Posts
In the first hundred of the iMDb Top 250, just a few: Cinema Paradiso (1988,) Witness for the Prosecution, and Paths of Glory (both 1957.) There are some India/Bollywood jams on there as well, but I omit them from the score as they've appeared in the top 250 virtually overnight. I probably shouldn't, as I've seen everything from Hayao Miyazaki and Akira Kurosawa, but I'mma do what I'mma do.

iMDb Top 250 Films (Rating Descending)

Y'all who haven't seen Titanic aren't missing much. Except maybe seeing it now for the first time, you might say "My God, Dicaprio is so young!" The boat sinks. Billy Zane is there for awhile. I've rated that film a C- for 20 years. No change in rating today.
Old 12-15-18, 11:45 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
In the first hundred of the iMDb Top 250,...

iMDb Top 250 Films (Rating Descending)

Y'all who haven't seen Titanic aren't missing much. Except maybe seeing it now for the first time, you might say "My God, Dicaprio is so young!" The boat sinks. Billy Zane is there for awhile. I've rated that film a C- for 20 years. No change in rating today.
Interesting. I'd rate the IMDb list, based on its IMDb user ratings, at C- as a list of top movies to recommend.

A lot of trendy/allegedly hip movies such as Fight Club, Matrix and what appears to be the entire Christopher Nolan collection that are high on this list wouldn't make my top 1000 movies list.

A movie that I would recommend, What's Eating Gilbert Grape, features an even younger Leo in addition to a young Johnny Depp playing a normal person, rather than some sort of cartoon character. With a bonus appearance of Mary Steenburgen.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 12-15-18 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-15-18, 12:05 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Not liking Fight Club or The Matrix is fine-- taste is 100% subjective-- but to imply that they are somehow bad movies simply because they're not your thing is just snobbery.

Those reviews aren't by a company or a computer, they're by people. Between 1.5 and 2 million iMDb users disagree with you just about Fight Club and The Matrix. Popularity isn't a guaranteed indicator that something is bad. That said, Fight Club is a bit overrated. Like the cult-like following for The Boondock Saints.

Critics are far less reliable-- 2001: A Space Odyssey is 29th and Blade Runner #34 on Rotten Tomatoes' "Best Science Fiction Movies of All Time" list. That's just bonkers. Avatar at #66 ? Really? I guess critics really like Dances with Wolves + blue aliens. Visually stunning, but a story that doesn't hold up through more than one viewing.

I'm a person that doesn't believe that the greatest movies of all time were made back in the 40s and 50s. Fantastic movies are being made all the time. Whether you love it or hate it, The Matrix was almost iconoclastic in how sci-fi movies are made. There hadn't been anything like that before. Also weird to me how Nolan gets hated on for pretentiousness almost as much as Bay gets hated on for blowing stuff up and not knowing how women are supposed to act. Sometimes movies are just about entertainment. Nothing wrong with that at all.
Old 12-15-18, 12:34 PM
genec
genec

Not liking Fight Club or The Matrix is fine-- taste is 100% subjective-- but to imply that they are somehow bad movies simply because they're not your thing is just snobbery.

Those reviews aren't by a company or a computer, they're by people. Between 1.5 and 2 million iMDb users disagree with you just about Fight Club and The Matrix. Popularity isn't a guaranteed indicator that something is bad. That said, Fight Club is a bit overrated. Like the cult-like following for The Boondock Saints.

Critics are far less reliable-- 2001: A Space Odyssey is 29th and Blade Runner #34 on Rotten Tomatoes' "Best Science Fiction Movies of All Time" list. That's just bonkers. Avatar at #66 ? Really? I guess critics really like Dances with Wolves + blue aliens. Visually stunning, but a story that doesn't hold up through more than one viewing.

I'm a person that doesn't believe that the greatest movies of all time were made back in the 40s and 50s. Fantastic movies are being made all the time. Whether you love it or hate it, The Matrix was almost iconoclastic in how sci-fi movies are made. There hadn't been anything like that before. Also weird to me how Nolan gets hated on for pretentiousness almost as much as Bay gets hated on for blowing stuff up and not knowing how women are supposed to act. Sometimes movies are just about entertainment. Nothing wrong with that at all.
The difference between movies made in the 40s-50s verses today is that the actors were stronger, the dialog better and the story was quite often original. Today, while we do have a few strong actors... all too often special effects are called upon for the "drama;" the dialog tends to be too contemporary, and uses vulgar terms; and the story was probably original 50+ years ago... especially in this era of "sequels."

Let's face it, the current run of Marvel superhero movies were comic books not too many decades ago... not exactly the best source of compelling story and great dialog.

And remakes of old movies... not so original.

But yeah, a good one comes along every now and then... and sure, the viewers' expectations are higher today... so there is that.

Oh and as far as critics and SciFi... uh, no, far too many critics just don't know what to do with SciFi... perhaps due to a lack of understanding of the "sci" part. (not to mention the schlock "monster movies" that often were presented as "SciFi."
Old 12-15-18, 02:37 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

[Skipped the critique of the public's taste in SciFi]
I'm a person that doesn't believe that the greatest movies of all time were made back in the 40s and 50s.
Not making my personal list of top 1000 movies to recommend does not imply that they are bad movies it just means I wouldn't recommend it over 1000 other movies that I think are better or more entertaining, or more interesting or all three.

The IMDb user list of top 250 is heavily weighted to more recent pictures, more than likely because the IMDb users have not seen many movies that are not relatively recently in the theaters or easily available on TV or especially streaming sites. Or as Genec has suggested they prefer special effects, comic book plots and vulgarity and car crashes as a substitute for dialog.

100 of the movies on the 250 list are from the last 20 years, 19 were listed from the 30's and 40's. The paucity on the list of Westerns, military, comedy and musicals, or movies directed by John Huston and John Ford among other great directors, or movies starring Clark Gable, Humphrey Bogart, Barbara Stanwyck, Hepburn (Katherine or Audrey) reflects more on movie preferences of the IMDb voters rather than the quality of the movies they seem to prefer.

Certainly if was recommending movies to anyone uncomfortable with B&W or dialog/plot driven movies, let alone subtitles, I would recommend movies from the past 20 years.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 12-15-18 at 02:47 PM.
Old 12-15-18, 02:45 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by genec View Post
But yeah, a good one comes along every now and then... and sure, the viewers' expectations are higher today... so there is that.
I agreed with the rest of your post but have to disagree about high expectations of current viewers . For example witness the popularity of the Fast and Furious series and umpteen movies with exact same plot - victim of some violent act(s) seeks vengeance and wreaks even more violence on the perpetrators.
Old 12-15-18, 03:22 PM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
I agreed with the rest of your post but have to disagree about high expectations of current viewers . For example witness the popularity of the Fast and Furious series and umpteen movies with exact same plot - victim of some violent act(s) seeks vengeance and wreaks even more violence on the perpetrators.
Very valid points... arrrg, "pulp films..." no redeeming quality.

My statement regarding "quality" was more geared at optical quality and effects. .. sorry I wasn't more clear on that. Your point is well taken... I can't even imagine the "pitch" that must have been made for some of the crap out there.

There was a time when "horror" required no blood, "drama" required no death, and "death" required no actual scene.

The hyper realism of today’s movies doesn't make them better... but THAT IS what audiances expect.
Old 12-15-18, 07:35 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Hey, I love The Matrix. It has an almost obscene level of rewatchability to it. But easily in my top 10 favorite films of all time sit Shichinin no samurai and Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain. I consider both of them to be almost majestically beautiful, and fantastic examples of character and storytelling. I have no problem enjoying movies where I gotta read words as well as those where lots of stuff explodes. Sometimes, both!

I also can't be the only one that actively seeks out truly terrible movies, right? I do love a good stinker. I think I'm on some eternal quest to unseat whatever movie it is that I consider the "worst thing ever." For many years, it was the unconscionably awful Alone in the Dark (2005.) It's really, really bad. That was finally unseated by Apartment 1303 (2012) the worst movie... ever. My wife tapped out while watching it less than 30 minutes in. I was committed. It's time I'll never get back. But I survived it, and that's worth something. These are truly films that manage to never break that barrier: they never get to the point where they're so bad they're good again. They're just terrible to the core. That said, I highly recommend both. It's always good to re-establish the baseline.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.