Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Lezyne floor pumps - Micro vs Steel/Classic

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-19, 05:49 PM
reapa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I ride to and from work, about 40 minutes in total each day.

I'm looking for a pump that I need to use regularly that will last. As a bonus, I'd prefer it to be compact and lightweight.

Generally what I've read is hand pumps should only be used to keep mobile and a floor pump is pretty mandatory. Until I did my research, I was just looking for a reliable hand pump but apparently that won't suffice.

Where I'm at now is deciding between the two pumps listed in the title. The micro seems to fit the bill (it's a floor pump, it's compact).
However, does it really just fall into the same category as the hand pumps in that it ideally should be used to keep mobile and not for regular use?
Old 02-12-19, 06:02 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Longer the stroke the better.. + you don't have to do as many..
Old 02-14-19, 08:11 PM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
Carry a Lezyne Carbon road on my bike- light weight, reliable and effective when needed.
lezyne steel floor pump at home- been utilizing it for years. Even Pumped up a car tire a few times.
this too, just keeps on working.
Old 02-14-19, 08:22 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,931 Times in 2,556 Posts
Originally Posted by reapa

Generally what I've read is hand pumps should only be used to keep mobile and a floor pump is pretty mandatory. Until I did my research, I was just looking for a reliable hand pump but apparently that won't suffice.

There is one hand pump that will serve you well for years as an only pump The Zefal frame pumps. Now many modern bikes do not make it easy to carry them but they are completely up to the task of use as everyday pumps. I went 17 years with the forerunner to the Zefal HPX on my three bikes and no other pump., riding sewups on all my bikes so pumping up often was a fact of life. Those pumps only got replaced when they fell off and a following car ran over them. (No one used that rather newfangled Velcro stuff yet.)

So, in answer to your question "micro vs Steel/Classic" my answer would be "Classic" as in the Zefal HPX Classic (on several of my bikes).

Ben