Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

2018 Trek Dual Sport 2 upgrades

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

2018 Trek Dual Sport 2 upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-19, 11:42 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Question A vs B

Originally Posted by ozzyski
After looking at front air forks, i have no idea what im looking at. Can anyone recommend a good fork 400$ below? Fox or rockshox?

IDK (ala Ford v .GM, competing companies) you got a bike shop to try them on new bikes?
$400 and less wont be any better (may not even get into a lockout non air/oil fork.. ), $800 will ..

Remember you are only buying one.. factories build bikes buying thousands so cost per unit is lots less..
Old 02-24-19, 01:14 PM
ozzyski

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
We are now waiting for parts to arrive and pics will be posted in about 2-3 weeks of both the ds2 and trigger 3. After I put some pennies on the side I will buy the rockshox paragon gold fork. For now not a must.
Old 02-26-19, 09:04 AM
pat_7267

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
Yes.

Suntour NEX hlo: coil spring (crudely adjustable for your weight); hydraulic damping; lock-out (on or off); 2650 grams

Paragon Gold: air spring (properly adjustable for your weight); hydraulic damping with low-speed compression adjustment (to lock-out if desired); 1860 grams

Summary: you'd preserve the designed steering geometry of your bike, knock 1.7 lbs of dead weight off the front end of your bike, gain the ability to tune the fork's response to your liking, and get rid of steel parts (steerer, stanchions), which in a suspension fork improves longevity.

The NEX is a perfectly decent fork for the price. The Paragon Gold is in another league altogether, and for not a lot of money. There are Suntour equivalents -- the NCX E Air, for example -- but these can be tricky to source after-market.

Would like to see a Dual Sport bike fitted with the Paragon Gold...
Old 03-02-19, 02:20 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Do it and offer a picture of your work..

I simply looked up the fork , online ..

https://www.sram.com/rockshox/products/paragon-gold-rl

Hmm 404.. now..

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-14-20 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-30-20, 01:09 AM
kilgor

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tires

so far picked up continental race Kings 2.0s
Hello!
Did it fit? Trek site says "The maximum tire clearance for mountain bike tires is 29" x 1.8"."
Old 01-31-20, 08:00 PM
ozzyski

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
they fit fine, even with a topeak rack and bag on top. couldnt put my sons seat on top though, tire was too tall
Old 07-09-20, 10:13 AM
Relsek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Results?

they fit fine, even with a topeak rack and bag on top. couldnt put my sons seat on top though, tire was too tall
My girlfriend has a Dualsport 2 and is considering some of the same things as you to make the bike better for trail use.
This especially includes better tires for trails than the gravel-oriented tires the bike came with.
I'm also looking into different forks for her and considering the Suntour upgrade program.
What tires did you end up with, how are they on the trails, and did you replace your fork?
Thanks!
Old 07-11-20, 09:18 AM
ozzyski

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Relsek
My girlfriend has a Dualsport 2 and is considering some of the same things as you to make the bike better for trail use.
This especially includes better tires for trails than the gravel-oriented tires the bike came with.
I'm also looking into different forks for her and considering the Suntour upgrade program.
What tires did you end up with, how are they on the trails, and did you replace your fork?
Thanks!
So let’s go tip to butt and give you my thoughts on the project. Starting with tires, I used to have race kings 2.0s but now I’m just running down the stock tires. When it will be time to replace them, I will go with either a 32mm road tire or a gravel tire. Not sure which yet. Next is fork. The Rockshox paragon gold rl is awesome. I highly recommend it but I don’t have experience with the Suntour forks. At 260 though I don’t feel like it’s out of reach especially since it’s air. I converted the bike to a 1x drivetrain. I got a budget IXF crankset made in China special off of amazon. It works. I will be putting on a carbon crank down the road. The drivetrain is still factory but I have all the components to put on a xt drivetrain I just have to get around to it. As for trails, unless it’s a gravel forest path or the easiest trail imaginable, even with all these upgrades the bike just doesn’t perform. 65mm of travel just doesn’t do the job. At the very least you need 100mm but at that point you need a different bike because you will have some crazy geometry. Speaking of geometry, the head tube angles also hurts the bike for trails. All in all, the bike is good for gravel or like I said easy trails. It absorbs pot holes very nicely, and that’s why I prefer riding this bike over my road bike on regular roads. Any other questions let me know
Old 05-09-21, 06:37 AM
Gianlucahead

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Did you increased fork travel?

Hi man I hope you’re well!

I just came across this, and as a ds2 owner I was wondering if you actually managed to increase teavel on your front fork.

I was thinking for mine a 12mm travel as I do mainly MTBiking, even though ds is a Hybrid.

For the tyres I mounted on mine Maxxis race TT 29x2.0 which I found incredibly grippy and fast rolling, as far as I avoid mudd😂