Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

my left shoulder a lit bit numb after change handlebar according to bike fitting

Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

my left shoulder a lit bit numb after change handlebar according to bike fitting

Old 04-22-19, 09:13 AM
  #1  
cycling2012
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 114

Bikes: Merida x-fit 2010;

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
my left shoulder a lit bit numb after change handlebar according to bike fitting

Recently I made bike fitting by shimano bike fitting system.my shoulder width is 400mm,my original bike handlebar width is 420 ,so everytime I cycle over 40km-200km,when I got home or on the last tens of km my shoulder is numb.but after change to 400mm handlebar ,it's a little better,but only left shoulder is a little numb.
so I just want to know it's because the handlebar angle or shift lever angle problem or I should use 380mm handlebar?
cycling2012 is offline  
Old 04-22-19, 09:18 AM
  #2  
jadocs
Senior Member
 
jadocs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 684

Bikes: Litespeed T2 Disc, Fondirest P4 Carbon, Fuji Cross 2.0, Specialized Fatboy

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 39 Posts
I don't know what a bike fitting by shimano bike fitting system is....numbness can be caused by a multitude of things related to bike fit (beyond just bar width).
jadocs is online now  
Old 04-22-19, 09:49 AM
  #3  
cycling2012
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 114

Bikes: Merida x-fit 2010;

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jadocs View Post
I don't know what a bike fitting by shimano bike fitting system is....numbness can be caused by a multitude of things related to bike fit (beyond just bar width).
so how to find the reason and resolve it.only left shoulder ,numb a little ,not too much.
cycling2012 is offline  
Old 04-22-19, 11:53 AM
  #4  
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling
 
Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 14,949

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1779 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts
Bar width usually doesn't make much difference. Numb, IME, means a pinched nerve or pinched blood vessel. Changing your fit caused this, so change your fit again.

I usually recommend getting the weight off your hands by moving your saddle back until you can briefly lift your hands from the bars while riding, without sliding forward on the saddle. Before moving your saddle, measure your saddle height and reset your saddle height after moving the saddle. After you're satisfied that your saddle position meats these criteria, next set your reach so that, with your hands on the hoods and elbows slightly bent and your back as straight as you can get it, your upper arms make a 90° angle with your torso. That'll probably mean changing stem lengths.

Make those changes, go ride, and see how that works for you.
__________________
Results matter
Carbonfiberboy is offline  
Old 04-22-19, 10:16 PM
  #5  
cycling2012
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 114

Bikes: Merida x-fit 2010;

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy View Post
Bar width usually doesn't make much difference. Numb, IME, means a pinched nerve or pinched blood vessel. Changing your fit caused this, so change your fit again.

I usually recommend getting the weight off your hands by moving your saddle back until you can briefly lift your hands from the bars while riding, without sliding forward on the saddle. Before moving your saddle, measure your saddle height and reset your saddle height after moving the saddle. After you're satisfied that your saddle position meats these criteria, next set your reach so that, with your hands on the hoods and elbows slightly bent and your back as straight as you can get it, your upper arms make a 90° angle with your torso. That'll probably mean changing stem lengths.

Make those changes, go ride, and see how that works for you.
thank you for your advice.so only one left side shoulder pain or numb ,is that related to the handlebar and shift lever angle?
cycling2012 is offline  
Old 04-22-19, 10:33 PM
  #6  
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling
 
Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 14,949

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1779 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by cycling2012 View Post
thank you for your advice.so only one left side shoulder pain or numb ,is that related to the handlebar and shift lever angle?
Who knows? Your shoulders are obviously different in some way. I'm suggesting you make some changes, putting yourself into a normal road bike fit. If that's the identical fit your fitter has you in, obviously don't bother. But if it's not, give it a try.

Shift lever angle? You mean the location of your brifters? Set them up so they look like this: https://www.bikeforums.net/19145009-post3.html The levers are approximately vertical and the tops of the hoods form an extension of the bar's ramps, continuing forward in a more or less straight line.
__________________
Results matter
Carbonfiberboy is offline  
Old 04-23-19, 10:42 AM
  #7  
Iride01
Senior Member
 
Iride01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 2,305

Bikes: '91 Schwinn Paramount '78 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 22 Posts
Was the fit a one time deal? They don't let you come back and ask about things that aren't working for you?
Iride01 is offline  
Old 04-25-19, 04:19 AM
  #8  
cycling2012
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 114

Bikes: Merida x-fit 2010;

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Iride01 View Post
Was the fit a one time deal? They don't let you come back and ask about things that aren't working for you?
not one time deal,I can come back and try.
but before I come back ,I am building a new road bike,so I want to finish it and then go fitting again.
cycling2012 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
AbsoluteMike
Hybrid Bicycles
7
09-07-18 10:13 AM
flammenwurfer
Utility Cycling
19
10-05-09 08:37 AM
BigSean
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing
23
04-27-08 06:26 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.