Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Got bitten by a dog today.

Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Got bitten by a dog today.

Old 04-29-19, 08:09 PM
  #1  
MrK.
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
MrK.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Texas/ NH
Posts: 102

Bikes: 2011 Handsome/ Twin Six Speedy Devil, 1973 World Voyageur, 2006 Soma Groove, 2000 Trek 820, 1995 Fuji Discovery drop bar conversion, 1990 Haro Impulse Comp, 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker I, 1987 KHS Montana Pro, 1941 Schwinn DX "Klunker"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got bitten by a dog today.

Went to a local park today that has about 6 miles of hilly paved driving roads and about four miles of MTB trails. I am riding up on a guy walking along the dirt track, not close enough to hear me approaching yet but close enough that I am planning my line around him and when I'm going to announce my presence. He casually turns around and sees me approaching. He gets an OH S__T! look on his face. Suddenly two dogs burst out of the bushes on my left and circle around to my right. I jump off and get the bike between us. They are barking and snapping at me. The owner finally arrives, winded from his 30 yard jog and proceeds to leash them and apologize and mutters some stuff like it's my fault for surprising him. I pass it off and go on about my trail ride. About 45min later I pop out of the woods all the way on the other side of the park. Sure enough there he is about 30 feet away. One dog is leashed, the other isn't. The loose dog immediately attacks. He was on me before I could get fully stopped and grabs my foot in his mouth and starts chomping and shaking. I kick the dog off but undeterred he is committed. As he comes back in for a second chomp the obese owners arrives and starts beating the dog with the leash and hollering obscenities which I'm sure the dog has heard before but I'm pretty sure he didn't understand. At this point I want to GTFO so I ride off without waiting for a second lame apology. Lost interest in my ride so I loaded up and left. No broken skin but a slight bruise under my toenail.

Fortunately it was 15-20 lb mutt and not a 50 lb pitt bull. This park has a leash ordinance but no one enforces it. Had a shepherd chase me a year ago but the owner was able to call it back. I'm going to talk to the judge in charge of the park later this week.
Sorry for the rant, just needed to get it off my chest.

Last edited by MrK.; 04-30-19 at 04:57 PM.
MrK. is offline  
Old 04-30-19, 04:13 AM
  #2  
bakerjw
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NE Tennessee
Posts: 787

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 37 Posts
You were attacked by a loose animal. Personally, I'd have called the police on the spot so there would at least be a record.
bakerjw is offline  
Old 04-30-19, 04:22 AM
  #3  
Greenhil
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Central Vermont
Posts: 166

Bikes: 2018 Kona Rove NRB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by bakerjw View Post
You were attacked by a loose animal. Personally, I'd have called the police on the spot so there would at least be a record.
Right on. You could still call them - or whoever runs the park. Might help some other rider, assuming they take note.
Greenhil is offline  
Old 04-30-19, 04:55 AM
  #4  
Stormsedge
Senior Member
 
Stormsedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 589

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS *NEW BIKE*, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Yup, call 911...around here they send out Animal Control. I was slashed by a dog two years ago...turned out it had no rabies vaccination, so the owner had to quarantine it...animal control then tracked the quarantine and updated me. It helps to know your local and state dog ordinances cold as well. Pepper spray generally throws a dog off the attack...multiple incoming targets a tougher challenge.
Stormsedge is offline  
Old 04-30-19, 10:58 AM
  #5  
adablduya
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 318
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Stormsedge View Post
Yup, call 911...around here they send out Animal Control. I was slashed by a dog two years ago...turned out it had no rabies vaccination, so the owner had to quarantine it...animal control then tracked the quarantine and updated me. It helps to know your local and state dog ordinances cold as well. Pepper spray generally throws a dog off the attack...multiple incoming targets a tougher challenge.
my response would have been to kick the **** out of the dog owner. the first encounter i can understand: i walk my dogs off-leash all the time when i'm out in the woods / trails / away from people (they are trained and are under my control, even off leash...). the second encounter, another story. i've had to tell dog owners in the past: "control your dog. if i have to take action to protect myself against your dog, i will and then i'm coming for you next.". it worked, but perhaps not the recommended action to take.
adablduya is offline  
Old 04-30-19, 11:42 AM
  #6  
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter
 
JoeyBike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Orleans, LA USA
Posts: 6,855

Bikes: Surly LHT, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Welcome to the club.

Google:
Each year, more than 350,000 dog bite victims are seen in emergency rooms, and approximately 750,000 victims receive medical attention. Data that the CDC collected in the USA between 2001 and 2003 indicated there were 4.5 million dog bite victims per year, but that figure appears to be rising.
I took my turn about 4 years ago. Border collie bit me on the rib cage. Big bruise and fang marks. Dog had his shots and was on a normal length leash in the local park. I did not seek medical attention, but I still have a nice conversation piece of a slight scar. The owner never went back to that park but I see her around with the dog. She was mortified at the time of the bite and I never pressed any sort of charges. Just asked the veterinarian to mark on the dog's record that he bit someone unprovoked just in case it became a habit.

I put that scar to good use for a couple of years before it faded. It looked GNARLY!. Whenever a dog off the leash approached me I stopped to speak to the owner. I lifted my shirt and used this speech word for word: "See this scar? This dog bite got me a new Toyota Camry with leather interior. Had this been a child's face the dog owner would be paying for that kid's lifetime education AND a house with a 2-car garage full of Maseratis. Why put yourself through that?" Most often I got a hearty F-You in return but a few times I could see the light-bulb come on.

Sorry you got terrorized man. That is one bad feeling when those teeth clamp down.
JoeyBike is offline  
Likes For JoeyBike:
Old 05-01-19, 04:34 AM
  #7  
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Posts: 3,830

Bikes: Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 952 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by MrK. View Post
Went to a local park today that has about 6 miles of hilly paved driving roads and about four miles of MTB trails. I am riding up on a guy walking along the dirt track, not close enough to hear me approaching yet but close enough that I am planning my line around him and when I'm going to announce my presence. He casually turns around and sees me approaching. He gets an OH S__T! look on his face. Suddenly two dogs burst out of the bushes on my left and circle around to my right. I jump off and get the bike between us. They are barking and snapping at me. The owner finally arrives, winded from his 30 yard jog and proceeds to leash them and apologize and mutters some stuff like it's my fault for surprising him. I pass it off and go on about my trail ride. About 45min later I pop out of the woods all the way on the other side of the park. Sure enough there he is about 30 feet away. One dog is leashed, the other isn't. The loose dog immediately attacks. He was on me before I could get fully stopped and grabs my foot in his mouth and starts chomping and shaking. I kick the dog off but undeterred he is committed. As he comes back in for a second chomp the obese owners arrives and starts beating the dog with the leash and hollering obscenities which I'm sure the dog has heard before but I'm pretty sure he didn't understand. At this point I want to GTFO so I ride off without waiting for a second lame apology. Lost interest in my ride so I loaded up and left. No broken skin but a slight bruise under my toenail.

Fortunately it was 15-20 lb mutt and not a 50 lb pitt bull. This park has a leash ordinance but no one enforces it. Had a shepherd chase me a year ago but the owner was able to call it back. I'm going to talk to the judge in charge of the park later this week.
Sorry for the rant, just needed to get it off my chest.
Why did you not call law enforcement? I love dogs. I have no tolerance for a POS dog owner. Personally I would have strongly dissuaded that dog from ever doing it again.
Paul Barnard is offline  
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 05-01-19, 05:13 AM
  #8  
jadocs
Senior Member
 
jadocs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 748

Bikes: Litespeed T2 Disc, Fondirest P4 Carbon, Fuji Cross 2.0, Specialized Fatboy

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 50 Posts
Irresponsible dog owner. Dogs should be leashed at all times. After the first incident, it sounds like he made the conscious decision to unleash it again! That is deliberate, I would have reported it.
jadocs is offline  
Old 05-01-19, 08:53 AM
  #9  
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter
 
JoeyBike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Orleans, LA USA
Posts: 6,855

Bikes: Surly LHT, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Reading this usually makes me feel better about knuckleheaded dog owners.

Tehran bans dog walking in public spaces



"...the ban was due to dogs "creating fear and anxiety" among members of the public."

Not that I want to live in Tehran otherwise but this makes a lot of sense.

Also, in case you didn't know, the organization PETA is 100% against any type of "pet" ownership outside of service animals. This is due to rampant cruelty to pets inflicted by pet owners who should not be left in charge of a cockroach.

So at 60 years of age I have warmed up ever so slightly to Iran and PETA as I only found out about these two things last year.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 05-01-19 at 08:57 AM.
JoeyBike is offline  
Old 05-02-19, 05:00 AM
  #10  
Greenhil
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Central Vermont
Posts: 166

Bikes: 2018 Kona Rove NRB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike View Post
Reading this usually makes me feel better about knuckleheaded dog owners.

Tehran bans dog walking in public spaces


"...the ban was due to dogs "creating fear and anxiety" among members of the public."

Not that I want to live in Tehran otherwise but this makes a lot of sense.

Also, in case you didn't know, the organization PETA is 100% against any type of "pet" ownership outside of service animals. This is due to rampant cruelty to pets inflicted by pet owners who should not be left in charge of a cockroach.

So at 60 years of age I have warmed up ever so slightly to Iran and PETA as I only found out about these two things last year.
Having spent time in Tehran on a number of occasions, I can say this ban will have little impact. You hardly ever see dogs in Iran because they’re not nearly as popular as pets as in the U.S. Can you imagine the outcry if this were suggested here?

When my Iranian cousin lived in Tehran he had a little poodle named Whiskey. He would take it for walks, calling “Whiskey, Whiskey!” which was his way of being provocative in a county where alcohol is officially banned.

BTW, Iran is a wonderful place to visit.
Greenhil is offline  
Old 05-02-19, 05:35 AM
  #11  
Brocephus
Professional amateur
 
Brocephus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Ga.
Posts: 434

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Greenhil View Post
BTW, Iran is a wonderful place to visit.
What a coincidence ! That's on my short-list of upcoming vacation destinations !! ( actually, it's in a 4-way tie with Sudan, Syria, and North Korea ! )
Brocephus is offline  
Old 05-06-19, 01:27 PM
  #12  
FlRon
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Florida
Posts: 33

Bikes: Specialized Crossroads

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 6 Posts
I’m just getting back into riding and this is one thing I am dreading.
FlRon is offline  
Old 05-08-19, 07:29 AM
  #13  
Notso_fastLane
Senior Member
 
Notso_fastLane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Layton, UT
Posts: 880

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by FlRon View Post
I’m just getting back into riding and this is one thing I am dreading.
If you are really concerned (I've lived in some areas where it was an issue, but where I am now, not so much), then get some pepper gel and be prepared. Also get the number for the local animal control and keep it handy.

Then go have fun and enjoy the ride.
Notso_fastLane is offline  
Old 05-08-19, 10:05 AM
  #14  
Pilot321
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: S.E. PA
Posts: 146

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR500

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Carry pepper spray. I prefer Fox Labs. I keep mine in the back pocket of my cycling shirt, so I can just reach back and grab it immediately. I had a dog chase me recently, but I was able to just stomp on it, and out pace him, and he gave up. I was ready with the pepper spray though, and if he persisted, and got closer I would not hesitate. I like all animals except the ones that want to harm me.
Pilot321 is offline  
Old 05-08-19, 10:49 AM
  #15  
bbbean 
Senior Member
 
bbbean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Missouri
Posts: 2,061

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
I would still report. The park, the police, your legislators, etc., aren't mind readers. They can't address a problem if you don't let them know how bad it is.
__________________

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

bbbean is offline  
Old 05-08-19, 11:28 AM
  #16  
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -
 
TimothyH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Northwest Georgia
Posts: 14,175

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6477 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 243 Posts
Originally Posted by MrK. View Post
At this point I want to GTFO so I ride off without waiting for a second lame apology. Lost interest in my ride so I loaded up and left.

Call 911 or the local animal control right away after a bite. Don't wait until later. Get to a safe location and call.

It is important to stay calm, not engage the owner.

If you are bit then make the call.


-Tim-
TimothyH is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
bloom87
Bicycle Mechanics
17
05-22-16 10:53 AM
spinnaker
Touring
4
11-15-07 04:40 AM
IrOn_MaN
Mountain Biking
14
07-23-06 10:22 AM
sCyth
Mountain Biking
2
11-02-02 10:48 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.