Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

So, I had a stroke. Now what?

Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

So, I had a stroke. Now what?

Old 05-02-19, 07:19 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
not sure it's transferable but it looks like your bike handle is leaning on a poison ivy vine
Old 05-07-19, 07:40 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Bikes: '80 Medici Pro Strada, '86 Tommasini Prestige, '12 CAAD 10 Ultegra

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Wheever View Post
So after a visit with a Cardiologist, (yes! A road biker!) he thinks my stroke was caused either by Afib or something called a PFO--which is basically a hole between the ventricles that would have let, say, a small clot from the leg make it to my brain, rather than dissolving in the lungs.

For the Afib, I'm getting a little doohicky called a LinQ implanted that monitors my heart and uploads to a mother ship at night; for the possible PFO, a trans-esophageal echo (TEE) is being done first week of May. In the overall scheme of things, I think I'd rather it be the PFO, because it's repairable. If it's Afib, I'll have to be on blood thinners for the rest of my life, and at risk of a heart attack for all the Afib reasons.

Overall, I seem to have recovered well from the stroke, but as @canklecat says above, I'm hyper-vigilant about my heart and brain, worrying that I could have another stroke.

One upside is the Cardiologist told me to go ride as normal; the downside is when I did, I got light-headed, probably from the BP meds. :-/

Lordy, getting old sure does suck sometimes!
Don't feel that the AFIB is entirely medication only, the ablative and cry-ablative therapies have come a long way. So much is being uncovered about AFIB, VFIB and the other anomalies of the rhythm now. I am dealing with AFIB right now, actually right at this minute dammit, and its a balancing act with medication(s,) cycling distance/intensity, possible ablation therapy, cardioversion, etc.

Glad that you found a Cardiologist that understands cyclists, they are hard to come by. Mine told me to keep cycling, don't change anything yet, I believe I'll trust him. I must have read and re-read, "Haywire Heart", half a dozen times now, if you don't have a copy of it yet, get one.

Bill

Bill
"I Can Do All Things Through Christ, Whom Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13
Old 05-07-19, 08:12 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
It's a while since #eatonkd posted here with an update to his well-being/activity. How are things going, if I can ask?