Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on cities out west to move to?

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Thoughts on cities out west to move to?

Old 05-22-19, 07:26 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 163 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8590 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by Pilot321 View Post
What are winters like there? How many months can you actually hike, fish, and bike comfortably?
Winters are cold and usually snowy, but not brutal. I have started four loop tours from there since 2011. (Heading there again for a tour on June 15th.) Seems like spring has been coming earlier and earlier. A week or so ago they had temps near 80s while it was in the 50s on the east coast. A couple of weeks before my mid-June, 2017 tour there was a weekend in the 90s. Today's forecast high is 62.

What you can take depends on your tolerance. I've hiked in the cold and snow before. People who live in places like that tend to be heartier when it comes to the cold.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-22-19, 07:55 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 3895 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 46 Posts
What are winters like there? How many months can you actually hike, fish, and bike comfortably?
I prefer cold winters over almost-cold winters.

Lived in the Portland area for almost 25 years and got tired of how many days are in the terrible zone (about 30-45 degrees and raining)

Then moved to a much colder place and got a plus bike, loved riding it in snow. I like hiking in snow too. In the early spring I would hope it stayed below 28 or so on the weekends so the trails would stay firm and mud/slush free. Lotta ice fishing there as well.
Old 05-22-19, 08:21 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6341 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 42 Posts
Oh BTW... Seattle is way north on lattitude... so summer days are long, sunsets last an hour or so, mornings are early. 4:30 AM to 10:30 PM at the solstice.

Quite the opposite in winter... and with short gray gloomy days, some folks get quite depressed. Spring can't come soon enough.

You may want to consider lattitude in your quest for a "perfect city."
Old 05-22-19, 09:10 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Trek Madone 2.3, '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
When I became an empty-nester a few years ago, I decided to pack it up and move from Boston to Denver for the: skiing, hiking, 100's of miles of interconnected MUP, MTB, gravel, wide vistas and open-space , 2nd highest paved road in the world for those days where only a 6,500' climb will do, low humidity, minimal rainy season, dog friendly (even more so in the Colorado Springs area where I witnessed a Great Dane walking in the supermarket section of Walmart, which is probably tame by Walmart standards), good technology sector if that's your bread and butter, art scene, food scene, fly fishing...

Last edited by Riveting; 05-22-19 at 09:14 AM.
Old 05-22-19, 09:19 AM
caloso
Packfodding 3

Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets View Post
I prefer cold winters over almost-cold winters.

Lived in the Portland area for almost 25 years and got tired of how many days are in the terrible zone (about 30-45 degrees and raining)

Then moved to a much colder place and got a plus bike, loved riding it in snow. I like hiking in snow too. In the early spring I would hope it stayed below 28 or so on the weekends so the trails would stay firm and mud/slush free. Lotta ice fishing there as well.
I hear that. My wife has relatives in Beaverton and she often talks about how much she'd like to move up to PDX. One Xmas-NY we spent 10 days up there where it was 35 and drizzly every single day. It was miserable. Absolutely miserable.
Old 05-22-19, 10:56 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 163 Post(s)
Quoted: 8590 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso View Post
I hear that. My wife has relatives in Beaverton and she often talks about how much she'd like to move up to PDX. One Xmas-NY we spent 10 days up there where it was 35 and drizzly every single day. It was miserable. Absolutely miserable.
Once spent the holiday season in Gothenburg, Sweden, which is in the southern part of the country and not that far from the coast. Weather was pretty much the same. Mid to upper 30s and damp/misty/drizzly. Although we did get about 1" of snow Christmas Eve. Combine that with the short days and it was not appealing.
Old 05-22-19, 11:19 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 7976 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 123 Posts
I've heard they have good Nordic skiing, so the winters must be nice.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 05-22-19, 11:44 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 3895 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
Once spent the holiday season in Gothenburg, Sweden, which is in the southern part of the country and not that far from the coast. Weather was pretty much the same. Mid to upper 30s and damp/misty/drizzly. Although we did get about 1" of snow Christmas Eve. Combine that with the short days and it was not appealing.
I spent a few days on the Alaskan coast once. Just about the same as being on the Oregon coast weatherwise.

The oceans tend to keep coastal weather in a tight range between 40 and 60 degrees latitude.

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 05-22-19 at 11:47 AM.
Old 05-22-19, 02:13 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso View Post
Yet, much of the year, outside of the "rainy" (winter and early spring) season, there's a great amount of sunshine. Occasionally, storms do come through outside the dreary ~5mos of winter, yes, but it's pretty nice overall. A lot of sweet land and vistas within ~40 miles of Portland, as well.