Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Horse people ended my walk of shame

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-19, 08:48 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts

I drove my bike to the Chamonix of the NW with a plan to ride a maze of dirt roads to a hiking trail I want to do, and see where it's closed (by snow). Can't find anything online, and it's a gorgeous place to ride.

Eventually - after exploring double track, cursing bona fide gravel - I flatted just before I got back to the pavement. And I couldn't get the tire off the rim. I tried swearing at it. While I was wrestling with the tire, I remembered movies that depicted hell as reliving your worst memory in a loop, and I wondered if this was it?

I gave up and started the walk of shame. After a few miles, a lady walked down her driveway to meet me, and said cyclists don't usually walk their bikes down hills. I told her about the tire. She told me the horse needs to go to the vet, I should get off my feet, have something to drink, and meet the family while they get the horse in the trailer. We talked about the area for a while and then they drove me and the bike back to my car.

It's been 7 or 8 k miles since my last flat. They're so rare and the tires I like are so tight, I might be better off carrying light shoes instead of a tube.
Old 05-27-19, 08:56 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
That's a great story - it's amazing the people that you'll meet while struggling with a bike issue!

From the title, I was halfway expecting you to say that you got a ride with the Amish
Likes For wipekitty:
Old 05-27-19, 09:31 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I tried swearing at it.
I am deeply concerned that this approach was not effective, as it is the only way I can manage to get through life.

The rest of the story would be even more compelling were this not a G-rated, family website.

Finally, have you considered getting some crappier less expensive wheels that don't keep a death-grip on your tires? Were you running them tubeless? What sealant?
Old 05-28-19, 07:14 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
That's a great story - it's amazing the people that you'll meet while struggling with a bike issue!
If I stop by the side of the road for a rest during a tour I often get asked if I need anything/am o.k. One day I left camp before dawn because I had a long, hard day ahead of me. After maybe a mile I stopped because I was worried that I had left something in camp. Still straddling the bike, I bent over to open my right, front pannier. Some guy coming along in a pickup truck on the otherwise dark, empty road stopped to ask me if I was o.k. Bent up straight and told him what I was doing and thanked him. After a few minutes it occurred to me that my position probably made me look like I was about to pass out or was puking.
Old 05-28-19, 07:46 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
That's a nice story. It's nice that they were willing to help.

Sort of inline with @indyfabz story and a bit off topic... I will usually check with a broken down rider with a "Need Help?" shout out but the answer is usually "No". The roads I am on are so heavily traveled by cyclists that if you break down you'll usually get asked that question about a million times. I was relaxing mid-ride the other day and there was a guy up ahead about 30 yards working on his bike. As I sat there for 3 minutes there must have been at least 5 people ask him if he needed help. Nowadays, unless someone is looking around and appears frustrated, I will usually not ask.
Old 05-28-19, 08:00 AM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
I thought this thread was gonna be about centaurs...
Likes For seau grateau:
Old 05-28-19, 10:27 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
So long as some people show concern for the portion of the population that appears to need a helping hand, there is hope for the human race. Actually, it much more encouraging than that. Bad news seems to sell better than good news. At the same time many cyclists ride vast distances, even around the world. For the most part they are welcomed with warmth and many locals will go out of their way to render assistance. This has been my own experience also in sailing to a foreign land.
Likes For berner:
Old 05-28-19, 10:38 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Thanks. You've given me convincing reason to stay tubed. The idea of getting flats that cannot be roadside repaired is to me, like the idea of un-clipping and having my foot come off the pedal riding a fix gear downhill at 40 mph. Unacceptable outcome. (I ride all my fix gears with toeclips. The many falls I've done at a standstill are perfectly OK as long as I never do the nightmare.)

I used to ride sewups and may well go back to them. Carried a sewup patchkit and used it roadside once far from home and rode the repair back just fine. Going off-road, it seems to me the stakes are a lot higher. If your bike doesn't work are you prepared to spend the night?

Ben
Old 05-30-19, 06:13 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
People are pretty okay when they're not killing each other. I've also had offers of assistance and even a ride home after flatting when I forgot my pump.

I try to remind myself of those folks when one of the psychopathic one-percenters nearly clobbers me.
Old 05-31-19, 11:49 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
..................a lady walked down her driveway to meet me, and said cyclists don't usually walk their bikes down hills. I told her about the tire. She told me the horse needs to go to the vet, I should get off my feet, have something to drink, and meet the family while they get the horse in the trailer. We talked about the area for a while and then they drove me and the bike back to my car................
WAY COOL !!!!!

A few weeks ago my solution to a rear 26 x 1 3/8 flat when 5 miles from home after coming out of Publix following some food shopping was to.......

Load items in front basket, pull valve stem through rim and tuck into the tire, make sure tire is inside the rim and SLOWLY RIDE THE 5 MILES BACK HOME. New tube installed and still riding on the tire.
Old 05-31-19, 04:34 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I have nothing to profound to add to this thread but just wanted to post a photo from my ride today.

-Tim-
Old 05-31-19, 04:59 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
I crashed hard once, 27 mph downhill, and had an off-duty paramedic witness it while she waiting at a stop sign 30 yards away. She was out of her car and at my side with a first-aid kit before I even had a chance to fully sit up and collect my scattered sunglasses and water bottle. She then put my bike in the back of her SUV and drove me home, about 5 miles away, and then offered me a big bud of marijuana as a get-well gift. Afterwards I called her my Colorado Florence Nightingale.
Likes For Riveting:
Old 05-31-19, 05:15 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I mostly posted this because I thought of a funny title.

I had a lot of time to think about dumb stuff walking back towards my car.
Old 05-31-19, 06:54 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
Seattle Forest, you need to learn to cuss like a sailor not a civilian. I learned the difference in the Navy and it does make a big difference! I offer lessons at 50 bucks an hour if interested. Usually 4 or 5 lessons and you are swearing like a seasoned old salt.
Old 05-31-19, 11:48 PM
Wilmingtech

Bikes: 2013 Ridley Helium, 2017 Blue Pro-Secco EX, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I drove my bike to the Chamonix of the NW with a plan to ride a maze of dirt roads to a hiking trail I want to do, and see where it's closed (by snow). Can't find anything online, and it's a gorgeous place to ride.

Eventually - after exploring double track, cursing bona fide gravel - I flatted just before I got back to the pavement. And I couldn't get the tire off the rim. I tried swearing at it. While I was wrestling with the tire, I remembered movies that depicted hell as reliving your worst memory in a loop, and I wondered if this was it?

I gave up and started the walk of shame. After a few miles, a lady walked down her driveway to meet me, and said cyclists don't usually walk their bikes down hills. I told her about the tire. She told me the horse needs to go to the vet, I should get off my feet, have something to drink, and meet the family while they get the horse in the trailer. We talked about the area for a while and then they drove me and the bike back to my car.

It's been 7 or 8 k miles since my last flat. They're so rare and the tires I like are so tight, I might be better off carrying light shoes instead of a tube.
Once you get out of Seattle people are actually quite nice.

Seattle Freeze