Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cleaning Purist MoFlo Valve/Nozzle

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 05-29-19, 01:01 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 17 Breezer Radar Pro; 15 Surly Pugsley; 13 Felt Z85; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts

Just cleaning up a clear cap and noticed something I can't see on the opaque caps (I mostly use the opaque caps and been blind to this trapped sand/dirt). I do a lot of wet gravel endurance rides*, bottles look like hell and I had no idea how bad the nozzles were suffering. Any cleaning advice? Or just toss & replace?

* reference photos from 2017 Almanzo:

Photo credit - David Phillips / Spring Valley Tribune

Old 05-29-19, 01:12 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 21 Posts
Yeah mine get funky also! If you look at the black plastic bite piece from inside the cap you'll see formed "wedges" that engage with the plastic bottle cap. You can push in the wedges and pop off the bite piece.

I did this to two bottles, one's been fine the other has started leaking.
Old 05-29-19, 01:52 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 17 Breezer Radar Pro; 15 Surly Pugsley; 13 Felt Z85; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Originally Posted by GrainBrain View Post
Yeah mine get funky also! If you look at the black plastic bite piece from inside the cap you'll see formed "wedges" that engage with the plastic bottle cap. You can push in the wedges and pop off the bite piece.

I did this to two bottles, one's been fine the other has started leaking.
Thanks!

I was trying to pop the plastic cap, but wasn't having any luck. I give this another try, see if I can find a better tool. I figure it's 'kill or cure' time.
Old 05-30-19, 11:48 AM
5teve

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd urge you to get a bottle that has a valve cover. I got really sick from a contaminated water bottle years ago during a rainy, multi-day dirt road and railtrail tour and it was horrible. I like the Camelback mudcap best, and similar, and the Nalgene ATB bottle. (the fliptops on the Nalgene's are a bit fragile) I'm sure there are others out there too.

https://www.camelbak.com/en/bottles/...c85bb14ffe0519

https://www.nalgene.com/product/2590-6022/
Old 05-31-19, 07:15 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Update: broke two MoFlo lids trying to remove the poppet. Based on this image, I think I need the WaterGate lids to remove the poppet - the MoFlo doesn't appear to have a removable poppet (these lids are all options for the Purist bottles).

Looks like new bottle time (& more focus on the cap/valve design)

I don't hate the idea of a cover for the bottles. I've thought a lot about the manure, pesticides, herbicides, and everything else that ends up on a gravel road - all that ends up in your lungs, gut, eyes, sinus, and EVERY.OTHER.ORIFICE. IMHO, that craps gonna end up in your system one way or another - it's just one of joys of gravel. I typically, jet the bottle to the side first to clear the valve, then spray water into mouth without putting lips on the nozzle.