Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

UPDATE from ImTrynaSkid

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

UPDATE from ImTrynaSkid

Old 06-12-19, 09:40 PM
  #1  
ImTrynaSkid
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
UPDATE from ImTrynaSkid

So, I have been practicing since I last posted, few months ago, and I can NOT manual yet. I guess the best thing to do is record what im doing and show you guys so you can try to help me out. I fixed the getting the front wheel part up by using more leg power to lift up and not pulling up on handlebars. But I can't find the balance point. The bike just wants to go back down, and I guessed this was a sign I wasn't leaning far enough back, so I leaned farther back, but I am forced to land on my feet. And its not out of fear. I do not care if I get injured doing this, unless its very bad. I think it's the bike at this point. If I lean too far back, the bike wants to drop back, if I don't lean far enough back, my bike INSTANTLY goes down. Should I try this going downhill, uphill, or flatground because I tried going uphill, and it works the best, but I can't keep pedaling obviously or my bike will go WAY to far back. I tried going downhill and there is just no way. I can get it up but then the tire goes down before I can even pull it fully up. This is making me so frustrated because I still can't do it and people think I'm just trying to "troll" because I didn't post any pictures/videos. I will post some tomorrow as it's midnight right now. Please comment ANY tips or tricks on how to find your balance point.
*Please don't comment "Just use your back brake", if your going to comment this, please elaborate because when I use my brakes to balance myself out, I slow to a stop and I can ONLY bring my wheel up when Im going very very slow or not moving.*
ImTrynaSkid is offline  
Old 06-12-19, 09:57 PM
  #2  
jadocs
Senior Member
 
jadocs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 747

Bikes: Litespeed T2 Disc, Fondirest P4 Carbon, Fuji Cross 2.0, Specialized Fatboy

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 50 Posts
What are you talking about???
jadocs is offline  
Old 06-12-19, 11:05 PM
  #3  
gnome
shaken, not stirred.
 
gnome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Shaky Isles.
Posts: 4,471

Bikes: I've lost count.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Possibly would make more sense in the BMX subforum. I'm guessing the OP got lost.
__________________
Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"
vBulletin: snafu
gnome is offline  
Old 06-12-19, 11:47 PM
  #4  
MikeyMK
Cycleway town
 
MikeyMK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Milton Keynes, England
Posts: 1,079

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 52 Times in 45 Posts
Or unicycle forum. I think he wants to be a clown.
MikeyMK is offline  
Likes For MikeyMK:
Old 06-13-19, 03:21 AM
  #5  
livedarklions
Je suis Snap Motomag
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 3,845

Bikes: Trek FX 3; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; "Motobecane" Fantom CX

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1930 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 266 Posts
The update no one was waiting for.

As I recall, you're trying to do tricks on a hybrid. Good luck with that.
livedarklions is offline  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-13-19, 05:19 AM
  #6  
shelbyfv
Senior Member
 
shelbyfv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5,271
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 91 Posts
Can this be moved? Somewhere....
shelbyfv is offline  
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-13-19, 05:28 AM
  #7  
mcours2006
Senior Member
 
mcours2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 5,658

Bikes: Giant Rapid, Bianchi Advantage, Specialized Roubaix, 1985 Gardin Quatro, Norco Threshold, Raleigh Serengheti MTB

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1720 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
The update no one was waiting for.
Hey, speak for yourself!
mcours2006 is offline  
Old 06-13-19, 05:31 AM
  #8  
Phil_gretz
Journeyman Bike Commuter
 
Phil_gretz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 5,038

Bikes: '71 Jeunet 630, '79 Peugeot PXN10LE, '83 Fuji America, '88 Fuji Saratoga, '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '16 Motobecane Gran Premio Elite, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 52 Posts
Guys...

...he's talking about a technique used in mountain biking where you unweight and lift your front wheel to maintain speed as you go over obstacles or uneven patches of ground. It's a bit more than just using the suspension for popping the front wheel briefly, as the manual carries your momentum further. So, it's a technique, but not really a topic for General Cycling. Alas.
Phil_gretz is offline  
Old 06-13-19, 05:32 AM
  #9  
livedarklions
Je suis Snap Motomag
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 3,845

Bikes: Trek FX 3; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; "Motobecane" Fantom CX

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1930 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 266 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006 View Post
Hey, speak for yourself!
Ok, I'll revise:

The update one guy was waiting for....
livedarklions is offline  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-13-19, 06:38 AM
  #10  
bakerjw
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NE Tennessee
Posts: 787

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
The update no one was waiting for.

As I recall, you're trying to do tricks on a hybrid. Good luck with that.
Growing up, my longest friend who I've known since I was 4, used to ride a wheelie on his 10 speed for miles. He had great balance and it was something to see. Not really tricks, but what the OP is trying to do. I think.
bakerjw is offline  
Old 06-13-19, 06:53 AM
  #11  
livedarklions
Je suis Snap Motomag
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 3,845

Bikes: Trek FX 3; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; "Motobecane" Fantom CX

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1930 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 266 Posts
Originally Posted by bakerjw View Post
Growing up, my longest friend who I've known since I was 4, used to ride a wheelie on his 10 speed for miles. He had great balance and it was something to see. Not really tricks, but what the OP is trying to do. I think.
Can I read you as advising OP to get better inner ears or to get a 10 speed?

I'm just kidding with you--my patience with OP was over when he just started posting nasty comment after nasty comment when he didn't like the advice he was getting about why he broke his bike.
livedarklions is offline  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-13-19, 07:06 AM
  #12  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 22,402
Mentioned: 163 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8636 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 240 Posts
Originally Posted by bakerjw View Post
Growing up, my longest friend who I've known since I was 4, used to ride a wheelie on his 10 speed for miles. He had great balance and it was something to see. Not really tricks, but what the OP is trying to do. I think.
Pfft. When I was in Italy in 2013 a Sunday group ride came toward us from the opposite direction. All were riding road bikes except for the guy hanging a bit off the back. He was riding a MTB with...wait for it...no fork. Couldn't get my camera out in time to snap a photo.

Did your friend happen to be in N. Italy that year?
indyfabz is offline  
Old 06-13-19, 08:31 AM
  #13  
Kedosto
Ambulophobic
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: San Leandro, CA
Posts: 1,115
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 57 Posts
Wow. Tough crowd. But, in fairness it took me less than 20 seconds to do a YouTube search “how to manual bmx.”

These knuckleheads seem pretty helpful.


-Kedosto
Kedosto is offline  
Old 06-13-19, 08:37 AM
  #14  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 22,402
Mentioned: 163 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8636 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 240 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
Ok, I'll revise:

The update one guy was waiting for....
You just got called out in Lucille's Helmet thread.
indyfabz is offline  
Old 06-13-19, 08:45 AM
  #15  
livedarklions
Je suis Snap Motomag
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 3,845

Bikes: Trek FX 3; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; "Motobecane" Fantom CX

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1930 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 266 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
You just got called out in Lucille's Helmet thread.
Rather implausibly. Thanks for the tip!
livedarklions is offline  
Old 06-13-19, 01:56 PM
  #16  
Viich
Hack
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 752

Bikes: 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), FMF Race BMX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto View Post
Wow. Tough crowd. But, in fairness it took me less than 20 seconds to do a YouTube search “how to manual bmx.”

These knuckleheads seem pretty helpful. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5Gm7ujMlXo


-Kedosto
Good find- they're pretty funny.
Viich is offline  
Old 06-13-19, 02:56 PM
  #17  
hazetguy 
Custom User Title
 
hazetguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: asheville
Posts: 1,072

Bikes: are filling up my basement.

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 78 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs View Post
What are you talking about???
well, it all started way back when, with this thread:
https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...ng-manual.html

Then there was an "update" a couple weeks later:
https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...22-update.html

Followed by another "update" a few days after that:
https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...51-update.html

Which leads us to today's "update":
https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...trynaskid.html


HEY ImTrynaSkid, it is GOOD FORUM ETIQUETTE TO JUST "UPDATE" YOUR ORIGINAL THREAD, RATHER THAN STARTING MULTIPLE RANDOM THREADS, EXPECTING PEOPLE TO KNOW WHAT THE HECK YOU'RE REFERRING TO! JEEZ!!!
__________________
No, I'm sorry, "28's and fenders" won't fit.

PLEASE DO NOT "LIKE" MY POSTS!!!
hazetguy is online now  
Old 06-13-19, 03:05 PM
  #18  
jadocs
Senior Member
 
jadocs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 747

Bikes: Litespeed T2 Disc, Fondirest P4 Carbon, Fuji Cross 2.0, Specialized Fatboy

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by hazetguy View Post
well, it all started way back when, with this thread:
https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...ng-manual.html

Then there was an "update" a couple weeks later:
https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...22-update.html

Followed by another "update" a few days after that:
https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...51-update.html

Which leads us to today's "update":
https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...trynaskid.html


HEY ImTrynaSkid, it is GOOD FORUM ETIQUETTE TO JUST "UPDATE" YOUR ORIGINAL THREAD, RATHER THAN STARTING MULTIPLE RANDOM THREADS, EXPECTING PEOPLE TO KNOW WHAT THE HECK YOU'RE REFERRING TO! JEEZ!!!
Ha thanks
jadocs is offline  
Old 06-14-19, 06:50 AM
  #19  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 8,250

Bikes: '87 Schwinn Prelude, Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara/Centurion Ironman, '18 Diamondback Syncr, '18 handmade steel roadbike

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2969 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 149 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by ImTrynaSkid View Post
So, I have been practicing since I last posted, few months ago, and I can NOT manual yet. I guess the best thing to do is record what im doing and show you guys so you can try to help me out. I fixed the getting the front wheel part up by using more leg power to lift up and not pulling up on handlebars. But I can't find the balance point. The bike just wants to go back down, and I guessed this was a sign I wasn't leaning far enough back, so I leaned farther back, but I am forced to land on my feet. And its not out of fear. I do not care if I get injured doing this, unless its very bad. I think it's the bike at this point. If I lean too far back, the bike wants to drop back, if I don't lean far enough back, my bike INSTANTLY goes down. Should I try this going downhill, uphill, or flatground because I tried going uphill, and it works the best, but I can't keep pedaling obviously or my bike will go WAY to far back. I tried going downhill and there is just no way. I can get it up but then the tire goes down before I can even pull it fully up. This is making me so frustrated because I still can't do it and people think I'm just trying to "troll" because I didn't post any pictures/videos. I will post some tomorrow as it's midnight right now. Please comment ANY tips or tricks on how to find your balance point.
*Please don't comment "Just use your back brake", if your going to comment this, please elaborate because when I use my brakes to balance myself out, I slow to a stop and I can ONLY bring my wheel up when Im going very very slow or not moving.*
Just use your back brake- that will fix your problem.
mstateglfr is offline  
Old 06-14-19, 12:19 PM
  #20  
ChinookTx
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Gatineau, Quebec
Posts: 251

Bikes: Kona Rove Ti., Motobecane Whipshot Ti

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
Just use your back brake- that will fix your problem.
Man you beat me to it!
ChinookTx is offline  
Old 06-16-19, 02:11 AM
  #21  
ImTrynaSkid
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ss

Last edited by ImTrynaSkid; 06-16-19 at 02:12 AM. Reason: s
ImTrynaSkid is offline  
Old 06-16-19, 02:13 AM
  #22  
ImTrynaSkid
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What do you mean. Why wouldn't I be able to manual on a hybrid?
ImTrynaSkid is offline  
Old 06-16-19, 02:14 AM
  #23  
ImTrynaSkid
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
Can I read you as advising OP to get better inner ears or to get a 10 speed?

I'm just kidding with you--my patience with OP was over when he just started posting nasty comment after nasty comment when he didn't like the advice he was getting about why he broke his bike.
What are you talking about? Please send the link because your spreading false information and being extremely toxic. Pathetic.
ImTrynaSkid is offline  
Old 06-16-19, 04:20 AM
  #24  
livedarklions
Je suis Snap Motomag
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 3,845

Bikes: Trek FX 3; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; "Motobecane" Fantom CX

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1930 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 266 Posts
Originally Posted by ImTrynaSkid View Post
What are you talking about? Please send the link because your spreading false information and being extremely toxic. Pathetic.
And you ask weird questions, refuse to provide more details when asked to clarify, and then get mad that people can't help you.

The reason people think you're a troll is because it may actually be the least insulting explanation for some really odd posting behavior. Here's the thread I was talking about:
https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...-problems.html

While you're struggling with learning to manual, maybe you ought to also figure out how to use an internet forum. There's literally dozens of videos online that show how to do a manual. One of them even is specifically about doing it on a mountain bike. If you've watched those and still can't do it, why would you think this forum could help you?
livedarklions is offline  
Likes For livedarklions:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.