Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

what happens after chain slip off chainring while riding

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 06-15-19, 05:37 PM
mtb_addict

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 28 Posts

curious since i just switched to single chainring only.

i read if i delete the FD, the chain might fall off while shifting.

so, it is benign event?

or will greasy chain wrap around my foot and sully my shoes?

or will chain drop into the spokes and explode?

what is the risk of FD delete?

Last edited by mtb_addict; 06-15-19 at 05:43 PM.
Old 06-15-19, 06:14 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 115 Posts
If you're using a narrow-wide chainring, the chain isn't coming off. If you're using a "normal" chainring and some kind of keeper, the chain isn't coming off.

If you're using a normal chainring and no keeper, if the chain comes off you can usually pedal the chain back on-- unless the chain dropped to the inside and wedged itself against the BB or crank spider.

Drop to the inside, shift to a smaller cog and pedal the chain back on. Drop to the outside, (usually) just pedal it back on.
Old 06-15-19, 07:13 PM
mtb_addict

Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
If you're using a narrow-wide chainring, the chain isn't coming off. If you're using a "normal" chainring ...
i oreded a Shimano SG 53t chainring from Ebay. is this the type that will come off?
Old 06-15-19, 07:15 PM
mtb_addict

so it sounds like nothing catastropic is going to happen even if it comes off.
Old 06-15-19, 07:18 PM
Marcus_Ti 
Frozen Solid.

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1923 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
If you're using a narrow-wide chainring, the chain isn't coming off. If you're using a "normal" chainring and some kind of keeper, the chain isn't coming off.

If you're using a normal chainring and no keeper, if the chain comes off you can usually pedal the chain back on-- unless the chain dropped to the inside and wedged itself against the BB or crank spider.

Drop to the inside, shift to a smaller cog and pedal the chain back on. Drop to the outside, (usually) just pedal it back on.
The entire Team Aqua Blue Sport racing squad (only UCI squad to use SRAM 1X, and used NW rings), would challenge this assertion....probably with some foul language

i read if i delete the FD, the chain might fall off while shifting.

so, it is benign event?
It can cause frame damage to carbon frames or wheel damage.
Old 06-15-19, 07:21 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict View Post
i oreded a Shimano SG 53t chainring from Ebay. is this the type that will come off?
Yes. Erm, maybe? Lookup Narrow Wide rings. Or, find older rings from the mid 80s that have just a plain tooth profile.
Old 06-15-19, 07:27 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 115 Posts
I don't mention anything about racing in a non-racing context, because what happens in a race is meaningless outside of that race. Racers beat their equipment to death through a combination of ignorance, apathy, and desire to win above all. What happens to racers in a race is meaningless to 99% of us.

I've never dropped a chain with 1X. I've dropped chains on 2X, inside and outside, countless times. If the implication here is that 1X drops chains with anything approaching the frequency of 2X, that is simply false.

That's a normal outer ring for a 2X or 3X crank (pins for shifting) so you would want some type of chain retention device if you want to ensure you don't drop a chain. Lots of bolt on and clamp on chain keepers out there. I use one from Paul Components, a little pricey but exceptionally well made.
Old 06-15-19, 07:29 PM
HillRider 

Bikes: '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 20 Posts
You bought the wrong thing. That is a standard road chainring intended for a double crank and a front derailleur. It will not be secure enough for use without a front derailleur. In fact it has shifting ramps and teeth shaped specifically to assist shifting.

Look up "narrow-wide" chainrings intended for 1X drivetrains and buy one of them.
Old 06-15-19, 08:49 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
My yellow bike has a 1x drivetrain and a "wrong" chainring. Yeah, the chain falls off. I looked up the narrow-wide ring, and it makes sense, but I just haven't bothered with it yet. Meanwhile, I developed a pretty good sense of the conditions that cause the chain to fall off, namely back-pedaling in the longer gears, so I just don't do that any more and it's been OK. Usually it just goes slack and hangs there until I slow down and stop, then I find something by the road, like a stick, and push it back on.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 06-15-19, 08:58 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 46 Posts
so it sounds like nothing catastropic is going to happen even if it comes off.
If you're stomping on a pedal when the chain drops, very bad things are apt to. happen
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 06-16-19, 04:31 AM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets View Post
If you're stomping on a pedal when the chain drops, very bad things are apt to. happen
You can have a very bad fall if it happens at the wrong time.
Old 06-16-19, 06:50 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 29 Posts
Ride what you have for a while to see if you have any issues. It's likely that chain drops will be infrequent if you are riding on relatively smooth surfaces and your RD puts sufficient tension on your chain (you probably have to remove a few links when you go single in front). Chain drops are not likely to be dramatic, although I had once one that confounded my ability to sort out). Because of that single incident I opted for a narrow-wide ring, even though I had over a thousand miles without incident.

Good luck.
Old 06-16-19, 07:40 AM
FiftySix
where's the gas tank?

Bikes: Norco Cityglide, Schwinn Jaguar, Schwinn Willy

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C View Post
My yellow bike has a 1x drivetrain and a "wrong" chainring. Yeah, the chain falls off. I looked up the narrow-wide ring, and it makes sense, but I just haven't bothered with it yet. Meanwhile, I developed a pretty good sense of the conditions that cause the chain to fall off, namely back-pedaling in the longer gears, so I just don't do that any more and it's been OK. Usually it just goes slack and hangs there until I slow down and stop, then I find something by the road, like a stick, and push it back on.
Same experience here. Don't backpedal to gain ground clearance while riding over something that bounces the bike harshly.

Otherwise, the chain drops and in my case it tends to go between the frame and the chainring/crank.
Old 06-16-19, 07:48 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Quoted: 1263 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 31 Posts
Don't let these bikers fool you. If you drop a chain, you WILL end up in the hospital.
Old 06-16-19, 09:05 AM
FiftySix
where's the gas tank?

Originally Posted by trailangel View Post
Don't let these bikers fool you. If you drop a chain, you WILL end up in the hospital.
I haven't had that happen yet. Granted, the chain drops I've had didn't jam in the spokes and stop the rear wheel from freewheeling.
Old 06-16-19, 09:17 AM
fietsbob 
coprolite

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Quoted: 6833 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 179 Posts
Its a 'spoke protector' unless you feel superior, to your mates , then its a 'dork disk'..
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 06-16-19, 09:22 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

It doesn't have to be hospital all the time, but a couple of knee-to-stem and knee-to-bar incidents have had me wishing I was skipping the hospital and headed straight for the undertaker.
Old 06-16-19, 09:28 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by FiftySix View Post
I haven't had that happen yet. Granted, the chain drops I've had didn't jam in the spokes and stop the rear wheel from freewheeling.
That's not required to get you a trip to the ER. It could be your foot comes off the pedal as the chain drops and frees up your cranks, then your knee hits the stem and your foot gets trapped in front of the pedal, while your hands slip off the bar and you start to tumble face first for the ground.
Old 06-16-19, 09:39 AM
FiftySix
where's the gas tank?

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets View Post
That's not required to get you a trip to the ER. It could be your foot comes off the pedal as the chain drops and frees up your cranks, then your knee hits the stem and your foot gets trapped in front of the pedal, while your hands slip off the bar and you start to tumble face first for the ground.
I haven't had that scenario playout yet.

Probably because my chain drops were while back pedaling over hard bumps and and the chain locked up the cranks immediately when resuming forward pedal power. It basically turns my bicycle into a motorcycle with footpegs, but no throttle. So, I'd brake or coast to a stop and reinstall the chain. Only harm to myself was riding away with greasy hands.

I know not every chain drop would be the same for everyone, but I do know that a chain drop is not a guaranteed trip to the hospital.
Old 06-16-19, 09:45 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by FiftySix View Post
I haven't had that scenario playout yet.

Probably because my chain drops were while back pedaling over hard bumps and and the chain locked up the cranks immediately when resuming forward pedal power. It basically turns my bicycle into a motorcycle with footpegs, but no throttle. So, I'd brake or coast to a stop and reinstall the chain. Only harm to myself was riding away with greasy hands.

I know not every chain drop would be the same for everyone, but I do know that a chain drop is not a guaranteed trip to the hospital.
Yep, backpedaling and light pressure forepedaling incidents are typically less dramatic.

Foot retention can also help to reduce likelihood of a bad situation, but not prevent such situations - I've kneed stems with SPDs on.

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 06-16-19 at 09:49 AM.
Old 06-16-19, 10:26 AM
Gresp15C

Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Don't worry. Try as I might, I haven't fooled anybody yet.

I should have noticed the OP's user name. I'm almost 100% pavement cyclist, with occasional forays into the woods. I know what my bikes are capable of. The times when I've dropped a chain on my particular bike have been under no load. Honking up a hill on the smallest cog is something that I'm not strong enough to do anyway. Likewise with the dreaded no-gear on the old Sturmey Archer AW hub. You had to be a fairly athletic cyclist to even be at risk of that failure mode.

But if @mtb_addict is talking about riding an actual MTB under rugged trail conditions, that's not my bailiwick.
Old 06-16-19, 10:39 AM
mtb_addict

no, i am talking about road biking.

i rarely do mtb anymore.

which reminds me i did do a very techical trail once, full of roots and rocks.
i was riding a converted single-speed with a very bad chainline.
the chain came off every time the back wheel hit a root hard.
but since, i was usually going walking speed, i just step off, but sure someone not as agile as i am might fall hard.
i did recall thinking if the chain gets jammed into the frame in bad way, then i was for sure walking back to the car.

then, i converted that mtb to 1/8" chain and chainring...corrected the chainline with a new wheel...and it never dropped a chain afterthat.

Last edited by mtb_addict; 06-16-19 at 10:43 AM.
Old 06-16-19, 11:02 AM
HillRider 

Bikes: '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 20 Posts
All of this debate on the consequences of a chain drop; inconsequential, minor, bad, very serious and life-threatening, would be moot if you just use the proper chainring. Narrow-wide chainrings are readily available and not very expensive. Buy the right thing and be done with it.
Old 06-16-19, 11:35 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Even a non-NW single speed ring might do for light pressure seated pedaling.
Old 06-16-19, 12:20 PM
FiftySix
where's the gas tank?

no, i am talking about road biking.
Curb hopping will make a single front chainring's chain come off on a bike with a rear derailleur. Just don't backpedal to level the pedals for ground clearance during the curb hop. Get the pedals set before the hop and landing, then pedal away.

Or, get an internal gear hub bike with a single rear sprocket to go with that single chain ring.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.