Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

CycloComputer magnet/sensor placement?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-08, 11:22 PM
ablang

Bikes: not worth mentioning

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I assume that the goal is to place the magnet/sensor as close to the rim as possible so that it can correctly get your mileage (assuming one inputted the correct tire size of course) w/o it hitting the brakes?

Am I right?
Old 07-23-08, 11:31 PM
jeff^d
enginerd

Bikes: Black Cat SS, Ibis Ripley v4, Cannondale Synapse Hi-MOD

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Doesn't really matter. One revolution is one revolution, whether at the rim or near the hub. You are correct that inputting correct tire size is important.
Old 07-23-08, 11:34 PM
FlatFender

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jeff^d
Doesn't really matter. One revolution is one revolution, whether at the rim or near the hub. You are correct that inputting correct tire size is important.
x2
Old 07-24-08, 01:25 AM
jsmithepa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ablang
Am I right?
Wrong.

The sensor is a dumb switch that closes a contact when the magnet passes through it, it conveys no intelligent information other than counts how many turns the wheel does in an interval.

Then the puter says, Avr Speed = count x magic number stored by yr calibration.
Old 07-24-08, 08:20 AM
EGUNWT

Bikes: Surly. 4 of them.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wouldn't it make more sense to put the sensor close to the hub than on the outside? The farther away from the hub you get, the more torque the moving sensor will have, and the more out-of-balance the wheel will be.
Old 07-24-08, 08:36 AM
supton
Cries on hills

Bikes: 2007 Trek Pilot 1.2, 1969 Raleigh Sprite 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Perhaps. But the sensor is usually such a small weight, and one is usually not going that fast. Put it where it works best and the wires reach.
Old 07-24-08, 09:11 AM
soma5
Hanging On

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The only valid argument for placing the magnet (and sensor) closer to the hub is that the linear speed of the magnet relative to the sensor is lower so that there is less chance that a revolution will be missed (not counted). There has been one actual instance in my experience where moving the magnet and sensor closer to the hub made a difference in the reliability of a cycling computer, so I do this now routinely. The magnet is so light in comparison to, say, a valve stem, that the actual placement probably won't make a detectable difference in how the wheel rolls.

-soma5
Old 07-24-08, 09:12 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by EGUNWT
Wouldn't it make more sense to put the sensor close to the hub than on the outside? The farther away from the hub you get, the more torque the moving sensor will have, and the more out-of-balance the wheel will be.
I agree with this, depending on the size of the magnet. Some of them are pretty clunky.

It's hard to notice it until you get on rollers - then everything is obvious. The other time you notice it is when you're descending really fast - 50+ mph.

Having said that my magnet is smack in the middle of the spoke.

When I was a bit more concerned about such things I used to get slim flexible magnets and tape them to the side of the aero rims (TriSpoke or Rev-X) to keep things aero and light.

cdr
Old 07-24-08, 09:39 AM
Sekine
Oldschool

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Put your magnet exactly opposite the valve stem, that would 'balance' the weight.
Old 07-24-08, 11:12 AM
Al1943

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Sekine
Put your magnet exactly opposite the valve stem, that would 'balance' the weight.
Not necessarily. The heavy side of most rims is where the joint is, usually directly opposite the valve stem. spin the wheel slowly and see where it stops. On my road wheels I put the magnet close to the valve stem for better balance. On my deep profile aero rims the valve stem is 60mm and is the heavy side so the magnet does go on the opposite side.

Al
Old 07-24-08, 11:19 AM
jsmithepa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My 10 years old Avocet magnet is a RING mounted on the hub, nothing unsightly. Don't tell me Avocet got this thing patented and nobody else can use it.

Guessing some ppl would mount the thing up on top to avoid running a long wire.
Old 07-24-08, 12:46 PM
Pig_Chaser

Bikes: '07 Giant OCR3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's allot of considerations when placing a magnet/sensor on a wheel. But the short answer is: Adjust it for best performance.
Old 07-24-08, 02:14 PM
Thumpic

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
if you put 2 magnets on different spokes you'll go faster and farther..........
Old 07-24-08, 04:34 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by Thumpic
if you put 2 magnets on different spokes you'll go faster and farther..........
Joking aside, I've seen this done. I saw a reproduction "Penny-farthing" (highwheel) bike with a huge front wheel that was too large for the cyclometer's calibration numbers. The owner had put two magnets on the wheel and set the calibration number for half of the real value.
Old 07-24-08, 05:18 PM
KevinF
Keep on climbing

Bikes: 2004 Calfee Tetra Pro

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by soma5
The only valid argument for placing the magnet (and sensor) closer to the hub is that the linear speed of the magnet relative to the sensor is lower so that there is less chance that a revolution will be missed (not counted).
I have seen it argued on these forums that it is better to put the magnet close to the rim in order to produce a higher "spike" on the sensor. i.e., they were claiming that with the sensor close to the hub, it could still faintly detect the magnet at 180 degrees away and thus the "low point" reading to the "high point" reading won't be as great, and thus the sensor might not count some revolutions.

Not saying I believe that theory... Just pointing out that it has been said. Personally, I subscribe to the theory that getting the magic tire circumference number correct is far more important then magnet placement.
Old 07-24-08, 11:19 PM
jsmithepa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pig_Chaser
There's allot of considerations when placing a magnet/sensor on a wheel. But the short answer is: Adjust it for best performance.
My verdict is, this is all much ado fer nuthing.
Old 07-25-08, 04:35 PM
Booger1

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I know I've had computers that didn't like the sensor out to far.It went by the pickup too fast and I had to move inward.
Old 07-25-08, 05:01 PM
Mondoman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I suspect that the sensor is just a simple magnetic reed switch -- and thus either completely on or completely off, with no intermediate states and no worries about spike "size" as in KF's post.
Old 07-25-08, 08:28 PM
Mentor58
'Mizer Cats are INSANE

Bikes: C-dale T800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KevinF
I have seen it argued on these forums that it is better to put the magnet close to the rim in order to produce a higher "spike" on the sensor. i.e., they were claiming that with the sensor close to the hub, it could still faintly detect the magnet at 180 degrees away and thus the "low point" reading to the "high point" reading won't be as great, and thus the sensor might not count some revolutions.

Not saying I believe that theory... Just pointing out that it has been said. Personally, I subscribe to the theory that getting the magic tire circumference number correct is far more important then magnet placement.
Which is proof that on this forum (like all forums) there are people who have WAY too much time to think about things, and then argue them with a passion and intensity not usually found outside of people who should be on anti-psychotic drugs.

I just looked at all my rides, on each one I've got the sensor mounted about 5-6 inches up from the bottom of the fork. No real reason I suppose, just where I thought to put it.

M58