Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

keeping weight off(50+)

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

keeping weight off(50+)

Old 02-03-05, 02:03 PM
netso

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 62 yo. I weighed 194 in the 12th Grade (16yo), I weigh 194-196 now. I had the advantage of being a Pro Athlete, owning my own gym. However, I never have eaten crap foods. I eat well Monday thru Friday, have fun on weekends, even Beer and Wine. I still go to the gym 3 times per week, and ride my Bike 2-3 times (100-150 miles). I see too many fat people, that keeps my enthusiasm for eating well, and exercising at a peak.
Old 02-03-05, 03:48 PM
radioflier

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 58, retired, and put approx 30 min/day on my elipticle trainer. Eat fresh fruit, veggies or a no-fat yogurt instead of cookies and crackers between meals. Been dropping 1 lb/week for the past 5 months. The goal is within sight (under 10 lbs to go)!
Old 02-03-05, 03:51 PM
radioflier

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
stapfam - what weight is a "stone"?
Old 02-04-05, 01:29 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by radioflier
stapfam - what weight is a "stone"?
Sorry but a stone is 14lbs, so 11 stone is 154lbs, or if you want to go metric, 70kgs.
Old 02-05-05, 10:02 PM
xylx

Bikes: Giant VT, Kona Hot commuter, Fetish Fixation ss, Fetish velocita road bike, ATP recumbent set up as human powered snowmobile (2 skis)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I go by the beer case at the supermarket I have to avert my eyes. Even looking at the stuff causes me to gain weight. *sigh* used to like a pint or two. Three sometimes. Ok.... even 4. Anyway. Not drinking is the best weight loss program for me.
Old 02-05-05, 10:22 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 & 1960 Capo; 1982 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 21 Posts
As many of you have discovered, it's all about caloric balance (food in / exercise out), but one's weight seems a bit more sensitive to one's exercise level than to one's eating habits. I am not a naturally slender person, and I have to control my weight (and blood pressure) by staying very active and eating a restricted-fat, high-fibre whole-foods diet with minimal junk (e.g. "empty calorie") food.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 02-05-05, 11:22 PM
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 999 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
You can ride in the snow and ice if you want to, and you have the right gear. I ride in the snow and ice every week. It is a lot of fun. It is much better that the trainer.

Take a look at the ICEBIKE website or the winter biking section of this forum. It's very popular.
Old 02-06-05, 06:26 AM
Shen_1_1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old weights in the UK are 16 ounces to a pound, 14 pounds to a stone, and 8 stones to a hundredweight, and finally 20 hundredweight to the ton. Just to cause total confusion a metric tonne is 2200 pounds and the imperial one is 2240.

However in 2003 i got my weight down to 187 pounds and then over that winter I gained again up to 210. Last summer I managed to reduce the gain to roughly 200, and this winter despite some very wintery cycling I am up to 215. The target for this summer is to drop at least twenty pounds.

I achieved this in 2003 by eating carefully and cycling a lot of miles. Roughly 4-500 a week when ashore and at least using the gym when offshore. So all I am lacking at the moment is the will power.. but the longer rides beckon and tomorrow I return to dry land and the miles are going to be ridden again. I bought good winter shoes in October and what a boon they have been. Coming home chilled to the bone after a modest 12 miles my feet have still been warm which says a lot for the shoes. At least this winter I have managed to keep my daily rides going which was more than I achieved last year.

Good luck to your own endeavours.
Old 02-06-05, 07:54 AM
royalflash

Bikes: Lemond Alpe d´Huez, Scott Sub 10, homemade mtb, Radlbauer adler (old city bike), Dahon impulse (folder with 20 inch wheels), haibike eq xduro

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cycle trainer + weight training + studded tyres + cross country skiing

Plato

(well if he was alive today he would have written it)
Old 02-06-05, 08:34 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace, Cannondle Tandem/Ultegra, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
Just as JohnE said, for me I've found its simply a matter of "calories in versus exercise calories out". Unless we live in an area or our work schedule allows us to get out and ride/exercise during the day in these winter months, some weight gain is the standard. From talking to my cycling buddies, 5-8 lbs seems the range that most wind up putting on, even with weekend rides and some time on a trainer during the week. Those with larger appetites probably put on even more.

I'm looking forward to when I can get in a couple hours after work and burn off more of those calories. I don't know about you but I've got to have my daily dose of chocolate.........
Old 02-06-05, 10:27 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do I feel fortunate!!!!! It does not matter what I eat, I do not gain weight. My changes in weight come from exercise. Initially I lose Fat, and then I put on Muscle. After strenuous exercise, I am Hungry. I treat it as part of me training, but before I do an extended ride, I carbo load for a couple of weeks. Plenty of Pasta, Rice, Bread, Potatoes, sticky buns but this is what the body tells me to eat. I may put on a couple of lbs with this diet, and that is what I plan for. During the extended ride, I lose these lbs plus a bit more, So as I said,Do I feel fortunate.
Old 02-06-05, 07:45 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
After 30 years of listening to the doc tell me to eat more complex carbs and less meat, now he's saying I'm not getting enough protein! The food pyramid we've all known since childhood was accidently published upside-down, or some such foolishness. <Sigh>
Old 02-07-05, 08:37 AM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Regarding beer... With Super Bowl Sunday, I, along with most other Americans, made a trip to the beer store this week. In line with the guys carting up cases of Bud light, there I was with three measly four-packs of an assortment of Unibroue's finest (Unibroue is a company that brews Belgian style ales in Quebec). 12 bottles for about $24 dollars. I could have purchased 5 gallons of Bud for $24. With beer, wine and food in general, I'm buying better and fresher - and consuming a lot less. With this regimen, the benefits of weight control obtain - with about 80 miles of riding under my belt over the weekend (in addition to some beer, wine - and cheese).

Terex

"A meal that ends without cheese is like a beautiful woman with only one eye." Brillat-Savarin