Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

New battery install

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

New battery install

Old 03-06-18, 02:37 PM
Lvic28

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New battery install

I have a diamondback trace Exc the bike has 4 different colored wires comming from it the new battery only has 2 , the bike has a black white blue and red my new battery has only red and black how do I wire this up together please help
Old 03-07-18, 04:57 AM
Nelson37
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, well, the very first thing you should do when replacing a part with a third-party substitute is to actually LOOK AT IT and determine if there is anything unusual there.

Next, you should learn the names of important components, such as the battery, the controller, and the bike itself, so that you can correctly identify them for others.

So, either your ORIGINAL BATTERY, and possibly the CONTROLLER, but NOT the BIKE ITSELF, have these extra white and blue wires in addition to the STANDARD RED AND BLACK POWER WIRES.

So, you could just plug in the standard red and black power wires, and if your face does not catch on fire, it might work. IF the white is a temperature or other sensor, your controller MIGHT, or MIGHT NOT, work without that plugged in. IF the blue is connected to a switch in the battery, and represents the ON button, THEN it almost definitely will NOT work, unless you consider being OFF all of the time to be correct functionality.

Now, IF you had an exact model number and looked up your particular bike at a number of sources, then you MIGHT be able to find some accurate information about how to proceed, after you RTFM.
Old 03-09-18, 09:04 AM
nasabiker

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Why are so many people on the forum such ********
Old 03-09-18, 09:07 AM
nasabiker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lvic28
I have a diamondback trace Exc the bike has 4 different colored wires comming from it the new battery only has 2 , the bike has a black white blue and red my new battery has only red and black how do I wire this up together please help

post a pic of what you have going on. I'm no expert but the two wires from battery should hook up to the motor controller. then the controller will have wires that go to motor, PAS, lights etc. you need to locate the controller and wiring diagram to see what wires are the power wires
Old 03-09-18, 10:36 AM
Nelson37
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Look, if somebody is dumb enough to plunk down several hundred dollars on a battery without verifying the most basic elements of connectivity, then I am going to let them know about it because, 1) it is a mistake they need to learn not to make in the future, 2) because they can serve as an object lesson to help others do the same, and 3) having their face catch on fire as a direct result of such an elementary mistake is not out of the realm of possibility.

They also failed to mention the wires on the original battery for comparison, and whether or not it contains a switch.
Old 03-09-18, 11:05 AM
nasabiker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
mmmmhhhhhmmmmmmm
Old 03-10-18, 12:54 AM
Lvic28

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Battery

Originally Posted by nasabiker
mmmmhhhhhmmmmmmm
New to this don’t know how to post pictures batterey came off my other ebike the diamondback batterey is dead
Old 03-10-18, 04:57 AM
Nelson37
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Describe the four wires you mention. State whether or not they were actually attached to the mounting cradle. State whether or not the original battery has any wires coming from it at all. Describe the relative thickness of the red and black pair, and the other pair. Describe whether or not the other pair, and the red and black, are enclosed in modular connectors or are bare wires.

Describe how and when you obtained the diamondback. Describe if anyone has done any work or repair on this bike. Do you know who actually made it? I do.

I have done the research you should have done. I KNOW some of the answers to the questions posed. I do not believe you are telling the full story, which if you had would have saved a lot of time and effort. I have put in that time and effort to help you solve your problem. I know what the other wires are NOT, and also what they could be. I know SOME of what you have failed to mention.

This is not my first rodeo. I get tired of playing 20 questions. You have left out important details.
Old 03-10-18, 05:08 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
to post pictures, press the "go advanced" button, then click on the "manage attachment" button. Upload the pic
Old 03-11-18, 08:23 PM
Lvic28

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Battery

Wires are connected to the cradle where the stock battery went , can’t figure out how to load images, the red and black wires are thicker the blue and white wires are thiner
Old 03-11-18, 08:30 PM
Lvic28

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Battery

Trying to make it simple as possible 4 wires comming from bike , replacement battery only has red and black
Old 03-11-18, 08:33 PM
Lvic28

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Post images

Can’t find the go advanced
Old 03-11-18, 09:17 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

see the highlighted buttons at the bottom of this image? It's from the bottom of the every page.
Attached Images
File Type: png
advanced.PNG (47.5 KB, 61 views)
Old 03-11-18, 11:12 PM
Lvic28

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No sorry I can’t see that
Old 03-11-18, 11:15 PM
Lvic28

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just see the little picture and it says to enter URL of you image
Old 03-12-18, 05:56 AM
BobG

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 81 Posts
> Click "Go Advanced" or "Post Reply"
> Manage Attachments
> Choose and Open File
> Upload
> Type text
> Submit Reply
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
post pic 1.jpg (29.4 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg
post pic 2.jpg (43.0 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by BobG; 03-13-18 at 06:01 AM. Reason: ad step "Open file"
Old 03-12-18, 06:05 AM
Nelson37
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I asked a number of questions which you have failed to answer.

I did not ask these questions for fun and games. I asked them to help YOU try to solve YOUR problem.

I do not own this bike, nor am I being paid to fix it.

I do diagnostics and troubleshooting for a living, and have done so for many years. This is not new. People want to pick and choose which answers they think are important, and which are not. If you knew that, you should be able to fix it yourself.

You have an orphan product from a company that has been restructured and/or under new ownership. The drive and controller may no longer be in production, and that bike may have been made for only one year.

I have two more questions that the answers will pretty well nail down where the wires go, if accompanied by the rest of the missing answers. But, what's the point? You don't want to provide the required information.

At my company, the person who provides free tech support, and free research, is named Helen Hunt. If you need the solution without providing the necessary information, you can go to Helen Hunt for it.
Old 03-12-18, 06:21 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I think it's obvious that the OP is having a little bit of trouble negotiating the site, so more than a little patience is called for.
Old 03-12-18, 09:14 AM
Nelson37
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes. It is likely the pictures might be useful. However, in the time spent unsuccessfully trying to get that done, he could have told me what I need to know, which I will bet money the pictures won't answer everything.

There are three possibilities. 1 - the blue-white were not attached to the cradle, or at least not from the factory. 2 - they are for an in-frame, separate from the battery charging port. 3 - they are for an in-frame, separate from the battery on/off switch.

If the port or switch from 2 or 3 are not present, that leaves only 1.
Old 03-12-18, 09:18 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 610 Posts
To All: Frustration is not an excuse for insults.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 03-13-18, 02:19 AM
Lvic28

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes all 4 wires are attached to the mounting cradle where the old battery would lock in place old battery has no wires comming from it , thick black wire thin white wire thin blue wire thick red wire . The replacement batterey also has a cradle that the battery locks in place but that cradle only has a thick red and thick black wire comming from it .I still can’t see how to load images Evan with your step by step instructions,I’m still trying
Old 03-13-18, 06:06 AM
BobG

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Lvic28
I still can’t see how to load images Evan with your step by step instructions...
See edit at post 16 above. You need to open your photo file after selecting it. It will then load. Close that window along with "manage attachments" and then type your text.

Last edited by BobG; 03-13-18 at 06:10 AM.
Old 03-13-18, 06:39 AM
Nelson37
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The pictures are a waste of time and a useless distraction. FOCUS!

You describe the two pairs of wires as though they were grouped together, This disagrees with available wiring diagrams. ARE THE WIRES ENCLOSED WITHIN A MODULAR CONNECTOR OF SOME SORT? Or are they separately and individually soldered, which they should not be?

Examine the bike carefully for a charging port. About as big around as your thumb, three prongs or holes, with a cover of some sort. Also look for a large rocker switch. One of these should be on the frame.

Does the bike have any sort of factory installed lighting? Or user installed with no visible power source?

Also, have you located the access panel for the controller? Should be on the downtube, down near the cranks. Controller is custom, internally mounted, replacements likely not available, as with many parts on this bike.
Old 03-13-18, 07:12 AM
Nelson37
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IF you find that charging port, life is beautiful, problem is solved, and you can go along about your merry way. Look long and carefully.
Old 03-13-18, 07:19 AM
Nelson37
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IF you find that charging port, life is beautiful, problem is solved, and you can go along about your merry way.

You DID get a matching charger with the new battery, right?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.